Pinnacle Hills Promenade

RemusCal

They have one of those at the Promenade in Little Rock. Similar target market I guess, but for what its worth I got dragged in there once and actually ended up finding a pretty good deal on a pair of dress shoes, so I don't think they're really that pricey.

My wife is from the west coast. Says they are popular out there.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No chance

Keep in mind that several vendors at Macy's are also vendors to Dillards. Dillards will have exclusive rights in smaller markets, thereby keeping competition out. Further, most of the larger tracts of land suitable for a mall development that Macy's could anchor are owned by Johnelle Hunt and heirs. They are JVs on the mall. They have a reason to want Dillards to succeed, and thereby won't work with Macy's. Finally, Macy's would want other large stores plus mall tenants to collocate with. Our market is tapped out for those tenants and no new mall will be built anytime soon.

I'd rather have a Macy's over Dillard's.

I'd rather have both.  :D Dillard's does not treat the Arkansas market very well because they know they have the segment locked down and there's no real competition to force them to up their game. If you visit Dillard's in Little Rock (or NW Arkansas) and compare it to one in a mall in St. Louis or Dallas where they have both Macy's and Dillard's, you'll notice the stores are more updated and have a wider range of product offerings. It makes sense- there's no point in remodeling stores, keeping your product lines trendy, and being price-competitive when there's no immediate competition to force you to do so and it's profitable not to. But comreguy is right, the deck is just so stacked against a major competitor entering the mall market in Arkansas we're pretty much stuck with them.

Springfield has both at Battlefield, similar market

As for the same product lines, well, yes and no. Macy's in Memphis will carry other Ralph Lauren lines like Denim and Supply. Dillards is Dillards, there are some differences in stores, you can see that between the Fayetteville stores and the Rogers stores. Put both together and you got what you'd find at the store up in Overland Park.  

I just think even if there was another large pad at Pinnacle, it would still not happen as the large dept stores seem to tread water at best these days, couple that with Belk which is a smaller dept store carrying much the same as Macy's and Dillards does on a smaller scale already close by and I see the market as saturated as it is.

The thing about Pinnacle is what are they going to do with the Food Court, it's basically empty and has been that way for a bit.

Springfield has both at Battlefield, similar market

As for the same product lines, well, yes and no. Macy's in Memphis will carry other Ralph Lauren lines like Denim and Supply. Dillards is Dillards, there are some differences in stores, you can see that between the Fayetteville stores and the Rogers stores. Put both together and you got what you'd find at the store up in Overland Park.  

I just think even if there was another large pad at Pinnacle, it would still not happen as the large dept stores seem to tread water at best these days, couple that with Belk which is a smaller dept store carrying much the same as Macy's and Dillards does on a smaller scale already close by and I see the market as saturated as it is.

The thing about Pinnacle is what are they going to do with the Food Court, it's basically empty and has been that way for a bit.

Is there a good example of an outdoor mall with a well executed food court?  Not asking in a negative way, just curious.  It's not really that convenient, as they usually are in enclosed malls.  If I remember, I think the Promenade in LR is more geared towards full-service restaurants, like how Rogers has Houlihans and PFC.  

Is there a good example of an outdoor mall with a well executed food court? Not asking in a negative way, just curious. It's not really that convenient, as they usually are in enclosed malls. If I remember, I think the Promenade in LR is more geared towards full-service restaurants, like how Rogers has Houlihans and PFC.

My family tends to only stop at gas stations when we travel across the state heading to other states....

We have never had anything nice to say about little rock until we checked out their promenade... Now that whole area was very impressive! Their chuys wasn't to far from it too. Yes I think theirs is more geared to full service places.... Wonder what they could do with that food court??? Convert it to a cheesecake factory :-)

I think the format of the epicenter of the P&L district in KC could be an excellent concept for an open air mall food court.

I think I have mentioned it before.. give restaurants a discreet entrance outside, and a common pass thru area with alcohol permitted in the center. There could be an arcade tenant, desert kiosks, etc.

I still think we are vastly underserved in retail stores.  If Macy's won't come, then how about Nordstrom?  They are a step up from Dillards.  Also, missing The Apple Store, J.Crew, Cole Haan, Anthropologie, etc.  I believe there is enough high income residents in the area plus the business travelers that we can float these stores pretty well.

I still think we are vastly underserved in retail stores.  If Macy's won't come, then how about Nordstrom?  They are a step up from Dillards.  Also, missing The Apple Store, J.Crew, Cole Haan, Anthropologie, etc.  I believe there is enough high income residents in the area plus the business travelers that we can float these stores pretty well.

Would we would get an Anthropologie with the Altar'd State place?  Seems like a similar customer, though I'm sure Anthro would be more of a draw.  

As an avid J.Crew fan, I'm not sure that a store would be any more than a status symbol.  Their website almost always has better deals than their stores.  I've tried stuff on in the store and then turned around and bought online for 25-35% off and free shipping.  I've also never seen much clearance in their stores, whereas they have a bunch online.  Just my two cents on them anyway.  

Would we would get an Anthropologie with the Altar'd State place?  Seems like a similar customer, though I'm sure Anthro would be more of a draw.  

As an avid J.Crew fan, I'm not sure that a store would be any more than a status symbol.  Their website almost always has better deals than their stores.  I've tried stuff on in the store and then turned around and bought online for 25-35% off and free shipping.  I've also never seen much clearance in their stores, whereas they have a bunch online.  Just my two cents on them anyway.  

You have a good point.  You are right in the fact of being able to order just about anything online nowadays.    I think its more of a status thing to show you have arrived as a city.  I travel a lot and see all these awesome shopping/dining/living type developments and I really want to see something like that here.  The promenade is a great start, but we need something more unique.  

I could see j.crew, apple, anthropologie, cole hann, brooks brothers, polo RL, etc. stores coming pretty soon in the future. Y'all need to cool it on things like Nordstrom and Cheesecake factory though because it will be at least 10-15 years before we're big enough for that. To put it in perspective, Nashville, TN got its first Nordstrom (the first in TN as well) in 2011, 

Nashville's metro is bigger than NWA by about 1.2 million. But I see no reason why we can't support multiple Dillard's and Macy's. Joplin has both a Dillard's and a Macy's!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived