Climate of your city

tocoto

Do you like the climate in your city?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the climate in your city?

• yes
    • no

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that in Boston I was at the beach a month ago, and we have 8 inches of snow now. The seasons change so fast, and so drastically, you don't even need to go on vacation. If I sit on my butt for six months, the tropics will com to me, followed by the North pole in six more months.

• 2 years later...

Whoa. Two years since last post...oh well. I love the Mediterranean climate of Silicon Valley; maybe a tad bit hot and dry here south of S.F. in the summer, but the past few years ahevn't been too, too bad. Winter is cold enough to let you know it's winter, but not untolerable for delicate folks......still, the PG&E bill is just nuts this year with the cost of fuels!!

I wish it were colder here in Charlotte...and not so hot in the summer.

Same for Raleigh. If ever there were a motivator to move to Asheville, this would be it. We used to get winter here, I swear. Somewhere along the line, it just stopped. Now it's brown throughout winter and averages 50 degree weather from November to March. And the summer is unbearably hot. 100's are not fun.

If we could increase the altitude of everything past the fall line by 1000-ish feet, I'd be happy. That would be just enough of a difference.

Overall I like the climate here in Northwest Arkansas. Although I wouldn't mind cooling down the summers some or at least dropping the humidity. Seems like the winters have gotten rather mild lately too. I wouldn't mind going back to the way some of our winters used to be.

People joke that Minnesota has 4 seasons: Winter's coming, winter's here, winter's still hanging on, and construction season.

But really... that's not a good description

We tend to have something more like this:

Summer... that period of 2 to 3 months (depending on the year) when the leaves are on the trees and everybody from Minneapolis rushes north with their fishing boats and spends a week or two at their favorite family resort. We get uncomfortable when it gets above 80*F... and seek shade.

Fall... the middle 2 weeks in September when everything turns into every beautiful color imaginable.. it's like a rainbow puked on the landscape. Red, orange, yellow, gold, green... Peak colors range from September 20th in northern Minnesota to October 15th in the south.

Brown... that period that the rest of the country calls fall.. but when the weather in Minnesota tends to be dry and cloudy and too warm to snow for much of October, but no leaves are on the trees and the grass (even lawns) has turned brown. Sometimes brown throws out a surprise at us and we get 2 feet of snow for Halloween (1991). Blizzards have been known to come as early as October 16th and leave drifts so high (20 feet) that they didn't melt until the next May.

Winter.. usually from Halloween to mid-March. Temperatures can drop below 0 as early as November 1st and can be 0 even in mid April. -20 is common every winter. -30*F usually happens 2 or 3 times in a normal winter... -40*F occurs about once a winter.. and it reached -50*F most recently in 1996 and 1997.

March: When it doesn't know whether to melt or stay cold... either way the ground is frozen and the water isn't going anywhere.. so we have lots of mud everywhere. This is a bad time to visit Minnesota. Unless it's a good year or you're going to the North Shore where up to 50 inches of snow can be on the ground in March. WInter 1996/97 brought 100 inches of snow to the Red River Valley region and a rapid melt in late March followed by sub 0 temperatures and a blizzard caused what scientists to be the worst flood for the Red River of the North in 1000 years. Spring 1996 had been the "100 year" flood event. We have come to conclude that these terms no longer mean anything.

Brown: It occurs in spring too.. usually all of April. Spring Brown is much brighter and sunnier, however.. and can often surprise us with blizzards that bring 15 inches of snow or tornados. This is when the ice finally leaves the lakes and smashes against the shore and rips up trees and destroys lakeshore property.

Spring... the 2 weeks in May when everything explodes to green luciousness. Some years it's beautiful and green by May 15th... some years (like 2002 and 2004) the white oaks don't get their leaves until mid June.

Summer... that period of 2 to 3 months (depending on the year) when the leaves are on the trees and everybody from Minneapolis rushes north with their fishing boats and spends a week or two at their favorite family resort. We get uncomfortable when it gets above 80*F... and seek shade.

not much different where I'm at :P ANything over 80, and either the AC is on, or im out in the 65F Lake Michigan.

• 1 month later...

Archived