OFFICIAL CT Culinary Institute

beerbeer

The culinary schoool that was suppose to move to the Hastings was rumored to be considering the renovated American Airlines building on Main Street.

If that happened, it would be across the street from Capital Community College and the new UHa student housing in the Sage Allen project.

The Couranrt did report that an open air restaurant on the first floor of the AA building was included in the plans. That would obviously be a necessary ammeditiy for a culinary school.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Connecticut Culinary Institute, who was originally in negotiations with the Hastings, had been in negotiations with the old G Fox department store at 960 Main St. The school and restaurant would be located on the the Talcott St and Main St levels. Negotiations included for a dormitory in the old American Airlines building across the street for students. Unfortunately, this deal never made it past talks and is now dead. The American Airlines building from what I now hear is slated for more moderately priced condos. The ground floor already has a Quznos and an upscale Asian fusion restaurant under lease.

I have not heard this rumor. I was still under the impression that the school was still working out a deal for the Hastings Building.

901 Main Street aka the American Airlines Building is owned by College Street LLC of New Haven, CT which is the same copany responsible for the transformation of the SNET building into 55 on the Park (apartments) and the currently under construction Metropolitan Condos. According to the developers web site the building is slated to be completly renovated (inside and out) and to feature ground floor retail and upper level Class B office space.

The developers web site is www.collegestreetllc.com then click current projects and scroll down to 901 Main.

The Capital City Economic Development Authority also mentions that the building will be made office space on this page http://www.cceda.state.ct.us/news/ Read under the Temple St/ Sage Allen Project heading.

Personally I think the culinary institute would be better off for the building because for one thing there are currently many open office spaces already and the Stilts building just up the street has many vacanies for example. Also this area has shown that it is a good enviorment for students with Capital Community College across the street and the UCONN School of Business at Constitution Plaza.

ctman987, I was told by one of Woody's owners, Cindy, that the building is being convert into condos. If I understand correctly, she got that from the building manager. You can get to Woody's by Main Street's revolving door, or by the Pratt Street side entrance. Gary and Cindy have been selling hot dogs and similar fairs in Hartford through good times and bad times for many years. They are an integral part of downtown Hartford lunch. Above and beyond providing great hot dogs at very reasonable prices, they are great people. Their hours are Mon - Fri 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

ctman987, I was told by one of Woody's owners, Cindy, that the building is being convert into condos. If I understand correctly, she got that from the building manager. You can get to Woody's by Main Street's revolving door, or by the Pratt Street side entrance. Gary and Cindy have been selling hot dogs and similar fairs in Hartford through good times and bad times for many years. They are an integral part of downtown Hartford lunch. Above and beyond providing great hot dogs at very reasonable prices, they are great people. Their hours are Mon - Fri 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woody's is great. I used to love Downtown when I was in high school. I would change buses after school Downtown but I would usually stay Downtown with friends for hours eating and going to the stores and the Civic Center Mall when Foot Locker was still there, Sbarro in the Richardson, Charles Limited (the Urban Clothing Store) that used to be on Pratt. Those were the days. :)

• 7 months later...

I heard yesterday from a trusted source that the Culinary Institute is still optimistic about working out a deal for the Hastings Hotel, and an announcement is imminent- Can anyone else corroborate this?

What is the status of the $3 million state grant that was proposed?

This is a great project and although it may not be as big as building a new condo tower or hotel in the city this project is something that is not be done in the city thus making it unique. The city will gain about 100 new jobs about the same number the city lost when the Hastings closed. Another great fact about this project is it is still going forward despite the fact that state assistance has not come through.

Is this a mixed blessing for Hartford? Doesn't the city lose money in the long run on something like this because they can no longer tax the building as it is an educational institution...Hartford has a bunch of untaxable land already (including U Hartford which has most of its land in HFD but takes a West Hartford adress, Trinity, Hfd Hospital, St. Francis, UConn Law, Capitol CC, all the state institutions including the capital, who knows what else) and I heard that one of the reasons Hartford has a hard time is because it has to deal with all these non-taxible entities in such a small geographic area.

Is this a mixed blessing for Hartford? Doesn't the city lose money in the long run on something like this because they can no longer tax the building as it is an educational institution...Hartford has a bunch of untaxable land already (including U Hartford which has most of its land in HFD but takes a West Hartford adress, Trinity, Hfd Hospital, St. Francis, UConn Law, Capitol CC, all the state institutions including the capital, who knows what else) and I heard that one of the reasons Hartford has a hard time is because it has to deal with all these non-taxible entities in such a small geographic area.

According to the Courant, the land will still be taxed. A win-win.

Archived