Raleigh Contemporary Art Museum (CAM)

Raleighmark

As someone who went to exploris middle school and LOVES exploris, how could you EVER call the architecture of exploris "not so hot" That is HANDS DOWN some of the coolest architecture in this city, have you ever even been in there? Or seen the back of the museum at night when the MARBLE WALL MOSAIC OF A SPACE VIEW OF EARTH is lit up? Tell me thats not unique and i might be forced to punch you. The museum itself might need some sprucing up, but don't think that lets you justify calling the architecture "not so hot". MKAY? Exploris gets enough ridicule as it is, be nice. I'm sure the architecture of CAM will be STUNNING!

:D

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with DwnTwnRaleighGuy. The "Titanic foward bow/glass sphere" on the Hargett side of Exploris and the marbel mosaic does *not* make up for the blank wall on the rest of that front *AND* the cold, soul-destroying emptiness along Blount. The backside of the IMAX theater is a less than inspiring monolith of "meh" as well. The courtyard is ok but nothing spectacular, and rarely used. The ecological water recycling is interesting, but who reads those signs other than me? It would be more "fun" with a more interesting water feature on the middle school side of things. The courtyard's "windows" on Blount and gates on Hargett scream "Not Yours" to non-patrons.

The museum could feel a lot more ingergrated with the rest of downtown if the cafe was placed at the corner of Hargett and Blount with patio seating, instead of hidden in the Imax building. But what is there is another cold shoulder to Moore Square and the rest of downtown.

It looks like the CAM will be a better neighbor. In addition to bringing the museum itself, the retail and residences look to be *part* of the community, not just for patrons. It would be awsome to get something like the Nasher, but that may be asking for too much. I'll be happy to get something with a good mix of local, regional, and state artists in addition to a Third Place, Helios, or Crema type cafe sharing space with a museum gift shop/"art for sale" gallery.

I agree with DwnTwnRaleighGuy. The "Titanic foward bow/glass sphere" on the Hargett side of Exploris and the marbel mosaic does *not* make up for the blank wall on the rest of that front *AND* the cold, soul-destroying emptiness along Blount. The backside of the IMAX theater is a less than inspiring monolith of "meh" as well. The courtyard is ok but nothing spectacular, and rarely used. The ecological water recycling is interesting, but who reads those signs other than me? It would be more "fun" with a more interesting water feature on the middle school side of things. The courtyard's "windows" on Blount and gates on Hargett scream "Not Yours" to non-patrons.

The museum could feel a lot more ingergrated with the rest of downtown if the cafe was placed at the corner of Hargett and Blount with patio seating, instead of hidden in the Imax building. But what is there is another cold shoulder to Moore Square and the rest of downtown.

It looks like the CAM will be a better neighbor. In addition to bringing the museum itself, the retail and residences look to be *part* of the community, not just for patrons. It would be awsome to get something like the Nasher, but that may be asking for too much. I'll be happy to get something with a good mix of local, regional, and state artists in addition to a Third Place, Helios, or Crema type cafe sharing space with a museum gift shop/"art for sale" gallery.

First of all, yes I have been inside the Exploris building, (not much to write home about). Secondly, yes I do think that the "marble back wall looks, cool". You punch me! Ha! Ha! Not even standing on a box! But that's as far as I go. The design of this building is just a little more than a glorified square brick school building that would be better served to have the bricks taken out and glass put in. IMHO! :D

Sorry about being so harsh DwnTwnRaleighGuy, I was kind of stressed out...

I definitly hear what you're saying. Exploris could use some additions, and the brick wasn't a good choice but the architecture still is a lot better than MANY things in raleigh (COUGH COUGH MARRIOTT). They would probably do some kind of renovations and or things to spice it up..........

buuuuuuuuuuuuut.........

they're kinda broke.

xD

Again, sorry for being so mean.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

While that is interesting, I really don't like it as an actual building for some reason. I like the top "seed bud" but the bottom just doesn't do it for me. Maybe if the bud was offset so that part of it ran down the side of the building and wrapped down into the sidewalk and toward the front of the building, like roots or something.

• 4 months later...

TBJ article on CAM. Says they have settled in on a 15-story option for the condo portion of the project, planned to be complete by 2010.

The architect's website says:

The program comprises the 30,500 sq. ft. museum, which includes galleries, education space, a library, and second floor sculpture garden, 8,300 sq. ft. of retail space, and 57,500 sq. ft. of condominium units.

I love CAM and think an arts anchor is just what the warehouse district needs but who in the world is financing $25 million project proposed by someone with no visible income stream? Where does CAM get its money other than donations and a tiny amount from the city?

Do they think they can build all that for just $25 M? I know they have the land assembled already, so I guess the costs are materials and labor. I like that the tower is on the West Street side because they can go back further there and it is close to the multi-modal center. Only four stories on the Harrington corner stays close to the character there, with Centerline's studio space and the condos on the NE Martin/Harrington corner.

The museum could be a selling point for the condos and retail space, but having a solid rail plan nearby would help more.

Retail space there will be a lot better than the dusty parking lots there, but parking might start to be a premium there. I hope they expect museum/arts related retail, since the Hue will have a decent amount of retail space and the Depot is still empty after the "three bars behind Ess" complex fiasco.

^all of West, Harrington, Davie and Martin Streets terminate near here so it could be a bit of a traffic cluster. I love how along with CAM, you also have Litmus, 311 Flanders, White Rabbit and that cool used clothes store(forgot the name) the immediate area is getting a nice artsy flavor...oh yeah dovetail woodworks, Clearscapes add to that too...I really hope the price point for the condos is in line with what an average 20-something or thirty something can afford with an average typical income.

• 3 months later...

I'm SO MAD!

SO SO SO ANGRY

I was really looking forward to that AWESOME "flower bud" thing they had going on on the top of the building in the old rendering. It was so architecturally great, and it would really provide some forward-thinking, COOL design to downtown, it couldve really set a precedent. This new building is a disappointment in comparison, it's kind of a cop-out. This sucks.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived