The New Look of US Airways

DigitalSky

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AS a former flight attendant for the airline I was personally hoping for a fresher more modern looking jet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it's important to note that they unveiled this design at Charlotte/Douglas. To me that sends a message that Charlotte will be key to the combined airline.

http://www.americawest.com/awa/content/abo..._heritage.aspx

What is cool is that they are going to paint some of the planes in the color scheme of the really old companies...

Anyone remember old Piedmont Airlines?  There it is at the bottom of that link.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow!! Yeah we still have a few decks of Piedmont Airlines Playing Cards

the last design for usairways was really classy, and this new one is VERY boring.... but in some ways, it is probably good for them to make a change just as a symbolic rebirth for the company. red, white, and blue...yawn.

i will always be a continental airlines fan (color scheme included). they upgraded me to first class the first time i ever flew with them, and have never had a problem with them (slight exaggeration, but still...). :)

slightly off topic... but what i really hope is that usairways completely rebuilds their website as part of this rebranding.

i cannot tell you how many times i have been trying to BUY (yes, give them MONEY, which they desparately need) a ticket, and it lets me all the way through the process and then when pressing "purchase ticket" the website just returns some cryptic error and i have to start from scratch. (probably it has happened more than ten different times) This has been over the course of multiple years, multiple computers, etc. (so i know it isn't just a fluke, or some browser setting on my part). there have been a few cases where i have just given up on their website and used some other website (like travelocity or expedia or whatever) and ended up flying another airline. (bad news for usairways).

• 1 year later...

I felt this to be the best place for this even though this is an old topic. I suppose many may have had high hopes that USAir would get better after America West merged with them but upon reading the latest issue of consumer reports I saw that both America West and USAir were at the very bottom of their ratings list with the two lowest scores out of 18 airlines.

The categories ranked were:

• Check-in ease

• Seating comfort

• Cabin staff service

• Online booking

• On-time performance

I don't fly a whole lot, maybe two times a year (three at the most) and typically when I do fly I do it with United because most of my trips seem to be in the upper midwest, primarily to Chicago and I have never had a huge problem with that particular airline. I'll be having the unfortunate experience of flying USAir to New Orleans in a couple of months and after purchasing my tickets and looking at the on-time percentage indicator for the flights, on-time departure for both Charlotte and New Orleans for that flight was at 40%. I don't recall ever seeing a number so low out of any of the airlines I have taken in the past be it Continental, United, ATA, etc.

What gives?

I fly nearly every week, about 75% on US Airways. I don't have a bad thing to say about the airline in comparison to others. US Airways is actually the most reliable to me. I always dread Northwest, United, and Delta flights -- either they are late, cancelled, or they lose my bags. To me, Continental holds #1, and US Air would be my #2 preference for domestic flights. For international, I've flown US, SAS, Alitalia, British, United, and Gulf. British is #1 in my book for international and United is in last place. US Air is right in the middle.

US Air's frequent flier program beats any other company. I've gotten more free first-class upgrades than I can believe just because I fly a lot. Very few other airlines upgrade frequent flyers for free. Most charge either mileage or $$, even if there are empty seats in first. I love flying US Air in general, and take the opportunity to do so whenever I can.

Here's the short of it. Doug Parker (CEO of US Airways) does everything on the cheap. Sabre reservations system thrown out for the cheap SHARES (kind of like trading Vista for Win95). Did not look at how the East system operated before migrating the system. Chaos. Four months later, there are still over 95 fixes to be done to bring the system up to what Sabre was before at US East. US West also pulled out f/c seats, reduced the pitch for coach (gotta cram in one more warm body), and removed coat closets on all Airbuses (no one wears winter coats in Arizona, silly). I could go on...I just got in from work out at the CLT and it was a hellova day.

^Indeed. He is good at using bankruptcy laws to make corporate profits at the expense of his employees and taxpayers. He doesn't appear to be that interested in running an airline that I would enjoy riding on anymore. When I started routinely flying in the 80s and this was still Piedmont Airlines, I and most people considered flying an adventure. Now it is an ordeal and a major pain to taking any trip.

I felt this to be the best place for this even though this is an old topic. I suppose many may have had high hopes that USAir would get better after America West merged with them but upon reading the latest issue of consumer reports I saw that both America West and USAir were at the very bottom of their ratings list with the two lowest scores out of 18 airlines.

The categories ranked were:

• Check-in ease

• Seating comfort

• Cabin staff service

• Online booking

• On-time performance

I don't fly a whole lot, maybe two times a year (three at the most) and typically when I do fly I do it with United because most of my trips seem to be in the upper midwest, primarily to Chicago and I have never had a huge problem with that particular airline. I'll be having the unfortunate experience of flying USAir to New Orleans in a couple of months and after purchasing my tickets and looking at the on-time percentage indicator for the flights, on-time departure for both Charlotte and New Orleans for that flight was at 40%. I don't recall ever seeing a number so low out of any of the airlines I have taken in the past be it Continental, United, ATA, etc.

What gives?

USAviation.com USAirways forum. Nothing like being on a forum hearing East, and West bicker.

Some employees have "accidently" lost luggage... Some cancel flights for stuff they would normally ignore,ETC. which I support East actions 100%.

Until USAirways loses some money, I doubt anything will change.

I say, merge with United, Get Sabres, and get rid of the folks at the sand-castle.

PS :rolleyes: Did you hear all the trouble DoUgIe, and Scott had getting to the sand-castle from Philidelphia? lol.

• 1 month later...

This past weekend I flew USAir for the first time and it will likely be my last. My flight out was on Thursday from CLT and for some reason several flights were canceled or delayed considerably (luckily our flight wasn't one of them). Hundreds of people were in the services line and a huge number of people were absolutely disgusted with the way things were going with their flight (or lack of). After we were on the plane I noticed advertisements on the seat trays and the video during the flight was one big advertisement screen for USAir and other companies.

I suppose they have to find money to pay for the new paint jobs on their planes somehow.

Archived