The Depot

capitalapts

There is a lovely, older, single-level warehouse on W. Davie St. right beside the railroad tracks that was renovated about a year ago, called The Depot. The parking lot has been redone with cobble, and looks great, as does the building's exterior. It is right across the street from Nana's Chophouse.

However, several months after the renovation, it doesn't look like a darn thing is going on in there. Does anyone have any info on any prospective tenants and the timeframe associated with them occupying the building? It seems so prime to not have been touched yet.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Scott Howell, the former owner of Nana's originally had plans for a restaurant called "pops chop house" to go in the depot, but something happened and it fell through, thus landing him in the Empire Properites-owned building that Nana's is in now.

I seem to remember hearing rumblings a while back about something finally moving in, but I can't recall what it was. Its really a shame that nothing is in the building, especially since the whole area over there is touting itself the "depot district".

The Depot is owned by the North Carolina Railroad and was a formerly a freight depot, before those became obsolete. It's a really neat building, and it has heaps of parking where a freight yard used to be. The parking is facing the railroad tracks so it's not really disruptive to the urban fabric at all.

After the Chophouse deal fell through, there definitely was talk about some sort of club going in there, and to the best of my knowlege the deal is still on.

Depending on the market, landlords are expected to supply some percentage of upfit for tenants. My basic understanding was that NC RR offered little or no upfit for the space and Empire properties offered 50% or so (I think it was around a million bucks) to Nanas. Anyway, with vacant buildings all over Raleigh, its definitely a leasers market, so landlords have to come up with bait to land tenants, and while NC RR did a great job selecting an Architect, they have banked on the parking for landing tenants but will need to do more.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I was walking around downtown yesterday checking out on the ongoing projects. I came across the Depot off of Davie. Does anyone know the story with this development? How long it has been going on?

A few other things I notice on my stroll downtown..

Convention Center is coming along nicely. They have got alot more done than I thought.

I heard their were possible plans for a condo/retail/office tower at Martin/Wilmington. God, I hope so. Their is a stretch of stores in some old, old, decaying (sp?) buildings right beside the Progress Tower. Somebody needs to do something with that area.

I continued up Martin and noticed a couple of retailers already opening up by the progress towers.. Pharoahs (theirs one on six forks) and couple of others. It looked real nice. That will be a nice session with the progress towers and Palladium Plaza.

On my way out, I notice the Paramount off of Peace/Boylan. Does anyone know if it's open yet? It looked real nice.

I was walking around downtown yesterday checking out on the ongoing projects. I came across the Depot off of Davie. Does anyone know the story with this development? How long it has been going on?

A few other things I notice on my stroll downtown..

Convention Center is coming along nicely. They have got alot more done than I thought.

I heard their were possible plans for a condo/retail/office tower at Martin/Wilmington. God, I hope so. Their is a stretch of stores in some old, old, decaying (sp?) buildings right beside the Progress Tower. Somebody needs to do something with that area.

I continued up Martin and noticed a couple of retailers already opening up by the progress towers.. Pharoahs (theirs one on six forks) and couple of others. It looked real nice. That will be a nice session with the progress towers and Palladium Plaza.

On my way out, I notice the Paramount off of Peace/Boylan. Does anyone know if it's open yet? It looked real nice.

Agreed on Martin and Wilmington. That area is in need of some serious help. It would be of no risk for someone to upgrade that area. DT is on the verge of exploding (that area in particular), and I imagine it won't be long for that area. Riviera, The Kitchen, Wild Ginger, Fins, Yancey's and the like will go a long way to waking up that area in the evenings. I think the Paramount is open..at least I see people parking in there whenever I'm over there. Maybe fall is the official time.

Paramount has been open for a several months. This is the link for the discussion of the Martin/Wilmington "mystery" tower, pic here:

MartinWilmingtonTower-RaleighNC-1.jpg

Also the block south is owned by Progress Energy (north of Progress 2), and they will develop it in the next year or so with 1200 parking spaces, 250 apartments, 135k sf offices, and retail space. The topic is here.

• 5 months later...
A New York company plans to open three nightclubs in The Depot, the former Southern Railway station on Davie Street in Raleigh that's being turned into an entertainment complex.

Hoping to finally turn the area into a bustling nightspot, RDG Inc. will open a country and rock saloon called Blazin' Saddles, a sports bar and restaurant called The Hurricane and a New York-style martini bar called Soho East.

The bars will take up all of the remaining 14,000 square feet at The Depot, joining Ess Lounge, which opened this summer, and Nana's Chophouse, which has been open across the street since 2004.

The opening of all three bars is slated for May 3.

Club Oxygen has been closed for at least a month or so. Mosquito is the bar next to Humble Pie, with an entrance on Commerce Place. Kulture is right around the corner from White Collar at Dawson and Cabarrus. There are other buildings in the area that coud add even more places. It is close to the new CC as well, so convention traffic could go there, Glenwood, and F Street.

As the Depot/Warehouse district's boundaries are expanding, so are City Market's. The Cafe Luna/Tir Na Nog/Duck and Dumpling block is not in City Market proper, but is close enough to be a "district." Wild Ginger, Sosta, Cooper's BBQ, Fins Downtown, and whatever opens in Paladium Plaza could be considered part of the greater City Market area.

*EDIT* Finally remembered Wild Ginger's name.

It seems like all the pieces seem to be fitting into place a lot quicker than I ever thought they would in downtown Raleigh. This area will be a great place for tourists to hit along with F-Street and City Market. Hopefully they will be able to form some connection to Glenwood South.

• 1 month later...

There have been radio spots for a month or so now on either 88 or 96. Sounds like another Ess/White Collar/Rush/Aura/Haven/Dirty/Oxygen McNightclub ( I know these are different in a lot of ways mind you, but nothing like a Slims or Jackpot or even Times or Alibi). Maybe J Davis did a cool job, and maybe the old building is not too sold out (in a sold its soul way), hey I am critical of the masses and their choice of places to spend their alcohol money, and this sounds like another new place that the masses will flock too until the next new place opens.....

Archived