The Depot

capitalapts

So I work in the heart of the "Depot District", Sin City is right next door to us, in the last building on Davie St. before it deadends at the railroad, the former site of Oxygen, and (for old timers) the site of the West End decades ago, when this area was an urban wilderness. Upstairs is Powerhouse Gym, Raleigh's original 'roidhead gym, which also dates to the urban wilderness days.

None of the nightclubs mentioned in this thread to fill in the rest of the Depot appear to have opened or even to be under construction. I've never seen the cobbled Depot parking lot filled during daylight hours. At nights, though, this area is absolutely hopping, approaching the Glenwood South level of activity.

• 2 months later...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Even though the "grand opening" was a while ago, they weren't open until the last week or so. Hurricanes (the sports bar) was open on Sunday afternoon when I was walking around downtown. They had a good number of TVs and at least one pool table.

There is a mechanical bull visible (not sure if it works) in the country (AND western?) section and a bar and couches in the dance club section closest to Cabarrus.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been checking out "The Hurricane" on some days like Saturday. I like it. Great with over 60 TVs. A great place to watch a football game. Food is pretty good. I think business is a little slow but I think it is hard for a sportsbar downtown to make which I think is a shame.

I am giving this place my support and I suggest everyone to as having a couple of sportsbar downtown is necessary.

I have been checking out "The Hurricane" on some days like Saturday. I like it. Great with over 60 TVs. A great place to watch a football game. Food is pretty good. I think business is a little slow but I think it is hard for a sportsbar downtown to make which I think is a shame.

I am giving this place my support and I suggest everyone to as having a couple of sportsbar downtown is necessary.

I think there are only three right now that label themselves as sports bars: High5, Woody's City Market and Hurricane.

There are other places to catch a game (Like Fayetteville St. Tavern) but they don't label themselves as sports bars and cater to sports fans.

Am I missing any?

I consider stool pidgeons a sports bar, and to some degree, lucky B's is also.

Hurricane needs to get people in there and i think it can do well. they are just not marketing to well. they have no gameday specials and my biggest complaint is not having any beer on tap. so i dont really like bud and miller but at least put that stuff on draught if i'm drinking lots of it during a football game, i mean come on! :alc:

Flying Saucer also gets a little of the "casual" sports crowd like F Street Tavern, etc.

In 2001 I watched the Hurricanes lose to the Devils in Game 6 of their first round series at Jillians and it was *dead*. Maybe 10-15 people in the place, and maybe a couple of them were paying attention to the Canes. Downtown (and the Hurricanes) are a lot different today, but it is hard for sports fans to pass other options to go to a downtown sports bar.

I hope the Depot place does well, as that exactly the kind of place the Convention Center district needs to be a success. And it looked to be more open than the "clausterphobic" (but fun in their own way) Hi 5 and Woody's City Market. If I wasn't already going out of town this weekend, I'd probably stop by on Saturday or Sunday. But no draft? I probably won't be a regular. Woodys has a really good beer selection for its size.

• 1 month later...

The Hurricane, Blazin' Saddles, and Soho East have officially pulled up shop and left Raleigh. I'm extremely pissed off at this as The Hurricane was fast becomming one of my favorite places to go after a day's end. You couldn't beat the 25 cent wings 24/7. Whoever is responsible for this debacle, I point my finger at you for upheaving an entire developing area of downtown.

http://wral.com/news/local/story/2036890

Sorry for my agitated tone, but I'm just angry. <_<

aahh, damn. I too liked 'The Hurricane' and sucks its gone now. In a way, I'm not surprised. I really feel like the depot district is still trying to create an identity and i thought it was on its way last year. It had a solid club lineup with the office, sin city, ess lounge, white collar crime, and now the Davis owned trio. this now happens, Sin City is gone, white collar and ess lounge do not pull in the crowds they used to. I never saw mosquito making it, but who knows. I always thought old warehouses were perfect for clubs, such a good setting. Hurricane, and its two siblings, absolutely did not market well and were not competing with the more established night spots on glenwood.

aahh, damn. I too liked 'The Hurricane' and sucks its gone now. In a way, I'm not surprised. I really feel like the depot district is still trying to create an identity and i thought it was on its way last year. It had a solid club lineup with the office, sin city, ess lounge, white collar crime, and now the Davis owned trio. this now happens, Sin City is gone, white collar and ess lounge do not pull in the crowds they used to. I never saw mosquito making it, but who knows. I always thought old warehouses were perfect for clubs, such a good setting. Hurricane, and its two siblings, absolutely did not market well and were not competing with the more established night spots on glenwood.

I don't think any of these places, closed or still open, have any character whatsoever. Thanks for investing in Raleigh all the way from Rochester, but it takes someone like Greg Hatem of Empire who lives here to understand what the market is asking for, and even he lost out on Nana's (surprise, its on this strip too) and the Buffalo Burger place where Morning Times is now. It seems commercial is constatnly trying to get out in front of the residential development...it takes a chicken to lay an egg....This little strip of clubs would do better if 1000 people in mid-rise condos and apartments lived within a two-block radius.

you may be right as i do not go out there too often anymore. When Ess lounge first opened up, we used to do it and white collar practically every weekend and every weekend it was fun. the place was slammed and lines went down the street, hey that was attracted us back then. maybe i've changed a little but i do not get the same feeling like there is that same energy like 1-2 years ago. i've been to mosquito twice so i have no idea on that one, glad something is doing well in that area.

I had a good feeling these places would close in the near future, but not this soon. I agree with Jones about these places lacking character/personality. They seemed hastily put together without much thought about the Raleigh market. I hope the next tenants offer more original and quality concepts.

Archived