New Google IM service

Aessotariq

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping that this client is extra feature-loaded and provides for a new experience... They seem to have some really innovative minds working there. I just keep wondering how long they will offer all of this stuff for free.

They do two things that I am quite fond of: when they come out with a new product, they either introduce a new concept or they bring back a feature that a competitor either stopped providing or simply doesn't provide as well. Having 2GB of e-mail space, archives, and a web-based interface that keeps everything within the same window is the innovation in Gmail. And then Google Maps is just beyond words... Mapquest jumped the shark for me when they shrank the size of the map that you could view on the screen and took away a lot of other useful features.

As for IM clients, I use Trillian and avoid the native clients unless I absolutely have to use them. One thing I absolutely hate is the AIM Today, Yahoo Today, MSN today window, and every time you update the AIM client, for example, it turns that stupid window back on.

I almost never chat, if I do I use iChat. If I had a need for an IM client on a PC I would probably opt for a Google client.

I hate to say this, but MSNs VirtualEarth is giving GoogleMaps a serious run for the money in my book. It's Beta, and the reponse is sluggish (at least on a Mac) and I don't like that you can't turn off the roads on the aerial view. But it zooms in way further than GoogleMaps and offers a bigger window. GoogleEarth is OK, but most of the time it tanks on my 5 year old PC and they haven't released it for Macs yet.

Here's Providence on full zoom.

Just for the record, here is a list of other IM engines that google talk can talk with.

See in a couple of years.  Google will have massive amounts of info on you.  If that's not a problem for you, well, so be it, but it will and does.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh crap, now I'm scared... :ph34r:

Interesting%20that%20they%20decided%20to%20use%20the%20Jabber%20protocol...%20that%20at%20least%20makes%20it%20pretty%20platform-independent.%20The%20last%20Jabber%20client%20I%20used%20I%20wasn't%20very%20fond%20of...
Oh%20crap' date='%20now%20I'm%20scared...%20:ph34r:

Interesting that they decided to use the Jabber protocol... that at least makes it pretty platform-independent. The last Jabber client I used I wasn't very fond of...

Oh crap' date=' now I'm scared... :ph34r:[/quote']

How about this! c{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}net was able to put together a profile of Google's CEO by compiling information collected via search results from the engine. They were able to find out the name of his wife, his address, his salary, campaign contribution amounts, and several other personal details.

Google has barred c{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}net from interviews for an entire year because of this article they published about privacy issues.

Sucks imo...
The software seems to be focused on the very simple VoIP side of things and it looks if it does that exceptionally well, sort of like Skype with a better interface. Its slick and does its job, only problem is not that many people have gmail accounts and even fewer have google talk.

How about this! c{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}net was able to put together a profile of Google's CEO by compiling information collected via search results from the engine. They were able to find out the name of his wife, his address, his salary, campaign contribution amounts, and several other personal details.

Well of course, all that information is mandatory by law (the salary, campeign contribution amounts, etc.). The name of his wife is a little more interesting in this sense as well as the address but that really should not be that shocking, you can easily find out all this information about famous people. It comes with the territory.

^ True, if you own property titled in your personal name, anybody could find you with a little work... Used to be you had to spend some time digging through records at the courthouse... It's the relative ease by which the information can be retrieved that is unprecedented, and the indexing will continue to make it even less cumbersome... both good and bad...

I just don't think people realize how much of their "private" information is actually public record.

Archived