Baxter Neighborhood Revitalization

GRDadof3

Block gets healthy makeover

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

BY THERESA D. Mcclellan

THE GRAND RAPIDS PRESS

GRAND RAPIDS -- The difference on Dunham Street is clear.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...ll=6&thispage=1

There will also be a documentary film about the program shown at Wealthy Theatre.

I was disappointed not to see a quote from our very own Lighthouse Dave. I thought we'd have another forumer here in the news ;) Pizza Boy! :ph34r:

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Block gets healthy makeover

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

BY THERESA D. Mcclellan

THE GRAND RAPIDS PRESS

GRAND RAPIDS -- The difference on Dunham Street is clear.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...ll=6&thispage=1

There will also be a documentary film about the program shown at Wealthy Theatre.

I was disappointed not to see a quote from our very own Lighthouse Dave.  I thought we'd have another forumer here in the news  ;)  Pizza Boy! :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, the press reporter was REALLY pushing me for an interview. I kept referring her to the residents and my neighborhood organizer Kaytie. I did NOT want this article to read like "Lighthouse is the savior of the neighborhood." I am very happy about how the article came out. The focus is on who it should be...the neighbors.

We will be investing over $10,000,000 in the revitalization of this community in the past 12 and coming 12 months. However, I do not believe that any of this investment will do anything if we do not also invest in the social capital of the neighborhood, because it is the people that create and sustain a community.

If you are not doing anything. Please stop by the Wealthy Theatre Thursday at 5 and hear from the residents on Dunham Street.

Yeah, the press reporter was REALLY pushing me for an interview.  I kept referring her to the residents and my neighborhood organizer Kaytie.  I did NOT want this article to read like "Lighthouse is the savior of the neighborhood."  I am very happy about how the article came out.  The focus is on who it should be...the neighbors. 

We will be investing over $10,000,000 in the revitalization of this community in the past 12 and coming 12 months.  However, I do not believe that any of this investment will do anything if we do not also invest in the social capital of the neighborhood, because it is the people that create and sustain a community.

If you are not doing anything.  Please stop by the Wealthy Theatre Thursday at 5 and hear from the residents on Dunham Street.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dave,

How much interest have you had in retail locating to this area? This is something that is near and dear to my heart, because a successful neighborhood has a strong retail district.

I drove through this area last night, and the changes that have taken place are nothing short of amazing. I can appreciate your giving credit to the residents of this area for the turn around, but they wouldn't be nearly as far along as they are today without you and your company serving as a catalyst for change. Great job.

Dave,

How much interest have you had in retail locating to this area?  This is something that is near and dear to my heart, because a successful neighborhood has a strong retail district.

I drove through this area last night, and the changes that have taken place are nothing short of amazing.  I can appreciate your giving credit to the residents of this area for the turn around, but they wouldn't be nearly as far along as they are today without you and your company serving as a catalyst for change.  Great job.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We are very interested in attracting retail. In fact we are in talks right now with a Bank for our new retail spaces that will be built on the corner of Sigsbee and Diamond in our Uptown Village project.

Archived