Center City Park: DT Greensboro

cityboi

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have to say this project was just as big in importance as the ballpark. a downtown is not truely urban without public spaces such as this. fortunately there are more parks planned and proposed for downtown that includes parks along the greenway that will have recreational facilties such as tennis courts and an outdoor jr olympic pool. Then there is Rail Yard Park which will be larger than center-city park. It will stretch a mile along the railroad tracks bordering Southside and will include a chain of ponds resembling a waterway and a promenade. Another park in Action Greensboro's downtown comprehensive plan is proposed on the west side of downtown and would be more of a water gardens with fountains. So we'll be seeing more green, water features and public spaces downtown.

I am really impressed with downtown Greensboro right now. When I first heard about them putting in a center city park, it didn't really excite me, but the pictures look fantastic and I hope it continues to get a good crowd of people.

Why did the resurgence of downtown Greensboro have to happen AFTER I graduated from UNCG in 2004?!?! Shucks!

The park really impressed me too. It was designed be a company reponsible for designing parks such as Post Office Sqaure in Boston. The fountains are really impressive and quite frankly they blew me away. Spring time will really look gorgeous when all the flower are in full bloom. This is a qaulity park and the citizens of Greensboro had input on how this park was designed and the ammenties it has. I think thats important. Because if you want want citizens using the park, you have to have their input. Too many designers build parks with out citizens input and the parks turn out to be greenspaces that no one ever uses.

• 2 weeks later...

Many people forget there is a park adjacent to the new center-city park across Davie Street its a small green space called "Festival Park" that has a stage and is used during the summer for watching outdoor movies at night. the Greensboro Cultural Arts Center, Cafe' Europa and the main public library are located next to the park. But there is a proposal to expand Festival Park, bringing the cultural arts center and Cafe' Europa in the park. The Greensboro Cultral Arts Center is home to the Green Hill Center for north Carolina Art. The YWCA located next to the park will be relocated to a proposed mixed use residential development in the northeast section of downtown. The land where the YWCA is now would be converted to being part of Festival park. The expansion and upgrade to Festival Park includes an improved stage area, an expanded patio for Cafe Europa, a large rock fountain waterfall and an amphitheater. The goal is to make Festival Park and the new Center-City Park one big park. The archtects who designed Center-City Park would likely be involved with the adjoining Festival Park so everything will look consistant.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/61227030

THE FESTIVAL PARK PLAN

festivalpark2006.jpg

CENTER-CITY PARK

parkopening20.jpg

parkopening4.jpg

parkopening10.jpg

parkopening12.jpg

parkopening22.jpg

parkopening21.jpg

parkopening19.jpg

The building in the background with the green roof is the Greensboro Cultural Arts Center

parkopening11.jpg

parkopening17.jpg

Here is the Greensboro Cultural Arts Center. The center is home to 25 arts organizations, Cafe' Europa, The Green Hill Center for North Carolina Art, African American Atelier, galleries, a theatre, and dance, printing, and music studios. The green space around the center would be redesigned as an amphitheater and become a part of an expanded Festival/Center-City Park.

GREE%208652%20INST%20EXT%20I15_zoom.gif

viewed from the center-city park site

GREE%208652%20INST%20EXT%201_zoom.gif

Cultural Center atrium

GREE%208652%20INST%20INT%20I9_zoom.gif

GREE%208652%20INST%20INT%201_zoom.gif

rental.jpg

The main library would also be a part of the park

int3_lg6.jpg

int3_lg2.jpg

int3_lg3.jpg

int3_lg1.jpg

int3_lg4.jpg

int3_lg5.jpg

gpl1a.jpg

very nice. The first pic of the park puts me in mind of Corpening Plaza in DT winston to some degree (the stair-step fountains). One thing that should be upgraded in the Festival park are those bleachers...they look cheap and don't fit well with the park as a whole (Festival & Center-City).

very nice. The first pic of the park puts me in mind of Corpening Plaza in DT winston to some degree (the stair-step fountains). One thing that should be upgraded in the Festival park are those bleachers...they look cheap and don't fit well with the park as a whole (Festival & Center-City).

pretty funny at certain times of the day under certain weather condidtion you can spy on a DGI worker on the computer looking from the reflection on the window! Imagine if that were you and you were looking at something naughty on your screen lol or if you are making out with your secretary lol

center-city park webcam

http://www.carolinanet.com/centercitypark/

Archived