West End Field

Just curious... anyone care to predict what the average attendance will be in the new ballpark? Let's see they averaged about 1700 last year. The highest average in the SALLY league was about 6500. I'll go with 3000, but I have no idea.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will probably depend on many factors including:

• Team name
  • Season ticket prices
  • Parking advertisement and availability
  • Extras for groups and families of all ages
  • Advertisement of games
  • Level of excitement in downtown over the next few years

These are only a few that I could think of just now. I believe the level of interest should be quite high initially, but after the first couple of seasons, it will be anyone's guess as to the attendance average.

I'm going to go with an inaugural season attendance average of...............<drum roll>............... over 4000 per home game. :)

Just curious... anyone care to predict what the average attendance will be in the new ballpark? Let's see they averaged about 1700 last year. The highest average in the SALLY league was about 6500. I'll go with 3000, but I have no idea.

The first year of a new stadium there is always a huge boost to attendance. Three or four years out, is anybody's guess. Since the stadium holds 5,000, I expect many sell-outs the first year. I believe I read that the ownership group prefers to keep admission prices on the low side. All the more reason to expect a a big jump in attendance. I think the average will be around 4,500 the first year. I would be surprised to see it even higher though.

• 4 weeks later...

Saturday, 22-OCT-2005:

Quasi-Panoramic from South Main Street:

20051022_0001.jpg20051022_0002.jpg20051022_0003.jpg

Quasi-Panoramic from the corner of Markley and Field:

20051022_0004.jpg20051022_0005.jpg20051022_0006.jpg

Quasi-Panoramic from Field Street:

20051022_0007.jpg20051022_0008.jpg20051022_0009.jpg20051022_0010.jpg20051022_0011.jpg

Zoom of Downtown Greenville Skyline with a pile of Concrete Blocks in the foreground:

20051022_0012.jpg

I'll walk down the tracks to try to get a better view of the steel frame work on the upper deck when next I visit the site. I'd actually walk on-site, but I'm afraid they'd run me off without proper credentials and a hard hat.

... they were good shots(thanks RT!) which made them fairly easy to mesh.

Would you believe that I didn't even use a tripod? I'll take the tripod with me this weekend when I head down to take the next series and I'll do my best to get a good view of the steel work being erected for the upper deck and roof.

Saturday, October 29, 2005:

Quasi-Panoramic from just inside the ballpark entrance at the corner of South Markley and South Main:

20051029_0001.jpg20051029_0002.jpg20051029_0003.jpg20051029_0004.jpg20051029_0005.jpg20051029_0006.jpg20051029_0007.jpg

Quasi-Panoramic from the Railroad Tracks just off of South Main:

20051029_0011.jpg20051029_0012.jpg20051029_0013.jpg

Close-up of the Outfield Wall seen from the Railroad Traks:

20051029_0010.jpg

Close-up of the Brick Work:

20051029_0009.jpg

Close-up of the Steel Work:

20051029_0008.jpg

Honest question for you guys...

Do you think the location is a good one, in terms of the future? I realize that leaders are hoping for/counting on development around the ballpark, and I am optimistic that it will happen. It is interesting to see just how much people are counting on that, though, because the area right now doesn't look like a good one for a ballpark. Just looking at the pictures, you see old houses, garages, run-down buildings, and abandoned land. I think it makes sense, but just looking at the pictures I think most people would say "why are they putting a ballpark THERE?"

Thoughts?

Do you think the location is a good one, in terms of the future? I realize that leaders are hoping for/counting on development around the ballpark, and I am optimistic that it will happen. It is interesting to see just how much people are counting on that, though, because the area right now doesn't look like a good one for a ballpark. Just looking at the pictures, you see old houses, garages, run-down buildings, and abandoned land. I think it makes sense, but just looking at the pictures I think most people would say "why are they putting a ballpark THERE?"

Thoughts?

I believe the location is a good one, especially in terms of the future. City leaders aren't just counting on development around the ballpark. They're seeing that it is, in fact, happening. Two simple examples that we're all familiar with: Pendleton West on Mallard Street and The Field House, which is adjacent to the new ballpark. Additionally, the Greenville County School District is re-investing in the current Greenville High School site. I had to drive around the High School to get near the ballpark today because Field Street and Vardry Street were all closed off. It appears that some older homes on Green Avenue have been rennovated recently. The area didn't look as run-down as I had remembered it being.

If you could only see the way the real estate market has seemingly exploded in and around the ballpark (and the West End in general). There are signs on nearly every vacant store front advertising to prospective investors/buyers. There are rumors of additional projects on South Main Street, near the ballpark as well, including additonal mid-rise mixed-use developments. It'll ultimately be these mixed-use and residential developments that breathe new life into that area moreso than the ballpark. The ballpark just has to be strategically located to capatalize on all of the other development as well as anchor it.

As far as the run-down buildings and empty store fronts along South Main Street, just remember what Main Street looked like 20-25 years ago. Now, compare that to the current Main Street.

I guess that's part of the reasoning behind the "Drive" Monaker. We don't just hope for things to happen or count on them to happen. We are driven to see them through to fruition here in Greenville. :thumbsup:

Thoughts?

I would think that they said "you're building X THERE? Where X = Peace Center, Hyatt, Soby's, Falls Park...etc.

I think that its a great location to help extend the momentum of Main St. to the West End. Right now, I agree, you wonder if it will work. I would be surprised if it didn't.

I firmly believe it is the ONLY location that made sense. Another suburban park would have been a big mistake, IMO. Such stadiums don't generate spin-off development. People go there, watch the game and leave. Whereas a game at a stadium like this will be part of a larger 'night out' experience.

Using a sports venue to guide or kick start redevelopment is nothing new. Denver did it with their football stadium. I'm sure downtown Chattanooga looked pretty bad when their baseball stadium first opened.

Personally, I think people let appearances fool them. I go the the church diagonally across from the West End Coffee building. I have never feel threatened or uncomfortable by the surroundings. Some of the buildings look pretty bad, but they will be gone or rehabbed sooner or later.

I do hope that the auction for the fieldhouse goes well. It is important that this first project gets off to a good start. I just wonder how many people in Greenville have the lifestyle/taste/income to keep buying all these pricey units in the downtown area.

Archived