West End Field

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazingly, you see the lights in the air, but the illumination/radiosity is directed onto the field so that it casts very little light on areas surrounding the ballpark. This was obviously a successful plan.

RT, I posted a reply yesterday, but something happened to it. :blush: Anyway, thanks for the fantastic photos of the new ballpark! The Fieldhouse sure looks incredible with the brick facade complete now. Can't wait to see the windows placed and lights begin to come on inside. :D

Folks, I drove by West End Field this evening (sorry, no pictures...poor planning (battery) and low light anyway). The pylon sign out by South Main Street looks awesome! The scoreboard looks even more remarkable! WEST END FIELD is going to be a great venue for a baseball game, and something that all of Greenville will be proud of! :yahoo:

Friday, March 31, 2006:

Streetscape Taking shape on South Markley Street:

120832071_38d39d7e18_b.jpg

The conversion of the West End Firehouse into the Team Store and Ticket Office is almost complete:

120832068_9334d5e5c8_b.jpg

The much reputed pylon sign:

120832067_7c5baa0974_b.jpg

The scoreboard:

120832066_da6a10e211_b.jpg

Less than one week to go! It's going to be close, but I think they'll pull it off! :yahoo:

I've got one Reserved ticket for Thursday Night and 2 SRO's (which may be claimed by my wife and daughter). I've also been invited to go on Friday by my mother-in-law, who got a package of tickets through Erwin Pennland. :yahoo:

The street scape is looking great. The photos don't do it justice...if you look really closely in the first photo, you can see some of the trees have already been installed. :yahoo:

Flip This House is going to move Shoeless Joe's old home over on Sunday, from what I read...I'm hoping all of the street work is done before then; otherwise, they'll have to take the long way around.

Friday, March 31, 2006:

The much reputed pylon sign:

120832067_7c5baa0974_b.jpg

I really like the sign. They did a great job of keeping it on a human scale and the style blends effortlessly with the historic brick in the stadium and West End! :thumbsup: Looks great!!!! Thanks for the photo RT!

they are going to add a brick base around the bottom of it, a teamstore sign hangs off the back and the full coor digital message center goes where you see the silver grid work....

Thanks, charlie swords!

That's kinda what I had suspected (except for the team store sign hanging off the back part of the crossbar)...

They're going to have team store signs hanging all over the place, it seems....there's another one getting ready to go up on the back side of the firehouse (you can see them holding it in that first photo above there). I love the signage in general. It all looks great!

i just wish they would have let me have a crack at designing it, but i guess you can't have everything......

I think I would have relocated one of the old water towers from a closed mill to the entry plaza and put the name of the ballpark and the marquee sign on it, rather like what House of Blues does, only nicer.

OK...it's time for a photo update....and, yes, I do practically live at West End Field now. I've taken up permanent residence. :rofl:

Streetscape on South Markley Street:

121594434_e2a238360a_b.jpg

The Will Call Ticket Windows:

121594436_5a98e11227_b.jpg

Sidewalks at Team Store outside of the South Main Street Entry Plaza:

121585133_13438a8ed1_b.jpg

Better look at the scoreboards (modern style vs. old-fashioned manual style):

121575972_e900d1038e_b.jpg

121575974_d545d70602_b.jpg

Signs marking the seating sections:

121585134_5228a8cd48_b.jpg

Signage: Splendid Splinters, Rest Rooms, Another Team Store, and an ATM:

121585136_0435975510_b.jpg

View of the Green Monster and the Field House at West End from the Grassy Berm:

121585138_8bd3ecc5c4_b.jpg

Close-up View of the Windows on the Field House at West End (Notice the FAKE windows on the lower floors):

121585141_35fe8d463e_b.jpg

121585142_7d6e0475ab_b.jpg

The Field Street/Shoeless Joe Way Entry Plaza and Street Scape:

121594438_d0c2e65647_b.jpg

Footers have been poured at the site of the Shoeless Joe Jackson Museum across Field Street from West End Field:

121594441_a165ad2ef0_b.jpg

Sidewalks at Team Store outside of the South Main Street Entry Plaza:

121585133_13438a8ed1_b.jpg

Great set of photos RT! :thumbsup: I really love this one. West End Field is so much more than just a ballfield....the condos, the retail, the bars/restaurants, the team store, Shoeless Joe's house, etc. Really a top notch development. I like that this photo shows so many elements of the project.

I don't know its just kinda a nitpicking ocd type thing but, Im not to fond of the the sign that says "Established APRIL 2006" . I wish they would have left out of the April, it just sounds kinda wierd to me.

I was actually thinking the same thing...I would have rather seen just "Est. 2006."

-I noticed the advertisements on the modern West End Field sign changes, like the Verizon Wireless one said Bilo yesterday.

Good eye, g-man! I hadn't noticed that until you cited it. I wonder if these are the rotating type of ads or if this one was simply replaced. I suspect they're the rotating ads though. We'll have to keep an eye on them. :thumbsup:

Archived