West End Field

Yes, the field is difficult to see from up in the Spinx 500 club, that's for sure. It'd be nice if they showed video footage of the game on the TVs up there, if nothing else is on to watch. Not to mention that the 500 club wasn't entirely exclusive. Anyone could walk up into it and be in the middle of a party, either unintentionally or not.

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a great addition. I am so happy to see that the 2006 new ballpark of the year is not resting on its laurels, and really trying to get better. They took suggestions from their year end survey... actually even read them... and MY GOSH listened.

This is what I love about The Drive / West End Field managment and it's the reason this organization will be a success for years to come. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Grrrowl could have taken a few lessons.

This is what I love about The Drive / West End Field managment and it's the reason this organization will be a success for years to come. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Grrrowl could have taken a few lessons.

You mean like own their own facility on free land and have full access to concession, advertising and suite revenue and not share it with anyone, along with not being responsible for the payment of players and other team personnel? Those are lessons the Grrrowl I guess could have learned.

At least the Inferno organization in Columbia is learning that lesson by moving out of the Carolina Coliseum and building their own place.

I hate to be the bringer of bad thoughts, but weren't the grrrowl successful their first couple of years here? Lets not pass total judgment on the drive till we have a few more years of work, and the "newness" wears off in greenville. Then we will be able to see if they can still draw the numbers to the park and be successful. Personally, I think they will be able to because they really do seem to listen to the fans, but again, only time will tell.

I hate to be the bringer of bad thoughts, but weren't the grrrowl successful their first couple of years here? Lets not pass total judgment on the drive till we have a few more years of work, and the "newness" wears off in greenville. Then we will be able to see if they can still draw the numbers to the park and be successful. Personally, I think they will be able to because they really do seem to listen to the fans, but again, only time will tell.

I can tell you that the difference between going to a Drive game and a Grrrowl game is NIGHT and DAY, with respect to the entertainment experience. And, as someone pointed out previously, the Grrrowl seem to have rested on their early success where the Drive seem to want to go out and continue to improve themselves. True to their name, that's real DRIVE for you. :thumbsup: Bulldog tenacity.

Every year that the Grrrowl existed, I had one of those plans that gave you like 12 tickets per year to any game of your choice. I was also a Top Dog member. I can tell you for sure the Grrrowl just plain old sucked at advertising and listening to the fans. The Drive is the total opposite, thank god.

However, aren't we forgetting that the Braves had a 25 year run here? In a not so nice, suburban ballpark? Greenville has set a precedent for supporting baseball. With a fantatsic facility now, in a great area of town, I see this team and ballpark only continuing to get better and better, year after year. The Grrrrowl just didn't seem to interact with the community.

Official Updates -

I want to make sure you guys have the official Dugout rendering as it is not the Mayfield Dugout but the Coca Cola Dugout. We will be releasing renderings on all of our changes to the park next week, but we are very excited about the new areas. They will add to the fan experience of all fans, as well as give some additional corporate entertaining areas. A quick summary of the changes:

- Coca Cola Dugout - Speaks for itself. Rendering does not really show dugout effect but it will actually be dugout like the regular ones. It has a private area underneath the bleachers with a behind the scenes look at the batting cage, players tunnel. It is a sideline pass.

- Bi-Lo Kids Playground - This is moving out to the flag pole area and will be about 1,500 square feet, protected with a net, much larger for kids and areas for parents to sit and watch kids.

- Party Deck - A party deck on the suite level for up to 50 people per night. Equates to a mini-500 Club. This will be awesome.

- Picnic area - This area in front of the 500 Club will be improved and dressed up. Last year it was a mess, jumbled tables and stanchions. Much more pleasing.

- Suite Entry - Enclosing and dressing up the suite entry. Access off of Field Street.

- Box Office Windows on Field Street - Adding two windows on Field St Box OFfice to handle enormous traffic coming from County Square lot and Trolley Drop Off

- General Signage - Dressing up some stale areas of the park with thematic sigange relevant to history of the upstate and baseball in the upstate.

All of these will be in the papers the next few weeks. Plus don't miss our introduction of the new manager and "town hall meeting" at Haywood Mall next Saturday at 1 pm.

Mike

Official Updates -

I want to make sure you guys have the official Dugout rendering as it is not the Mayfield Dugout but the Coca Cola Dugout. We will be releasing renderings on all of our changes to the park next week, but we are very excited about the new areas. They will add to the fan experience of all fans, as well as give some additional corporate entertaining areas. A quick summary of the changes:

- Coca Cola Dugout - Speaks for itself. Rendering does not really show dugout effect but it will actually be dugout like the regular ones. It has a private area underneath the bleachers with a behind the scenes look at the batting cage, players tunnel. It is a sideline pass.

- Bi-Lo Kids Playground - This is moving out to the flag pole area and will be about 1,500 square feet, protected with a net, much larger for kids and areas for parents to sit and watch kids.

- Party Deck - A party deck on the suite level for up to 50 people per night. Equates to a mini-500 Club. This will be awesome.

- Picnic area - This area in front of the 500 Club will be improved and dressed up. Last year it was a mess, jumbled tables and stanchions. Much more pleasing.

- Suite Entry - Enclosing and dressing up the suite entry. Access off of Field Street.

- Box Office Windows on Field Street - Adding two windows on Field St Box OFfice to handle enormous traffic coming from County Square lot and Trolley Drop Off

- General Signage - Dressing up some stale areas of the park with thematic sigange relevant to history of the upstate and baseball in the upstate.

All of these will be in the papers the next few weeks. Plus don't miss our introduction of the new manager and "town hall meeting" at Haywood Mall next Saturday at 1 pm.

Mike

These changes all sound great! Thanks for sharing, Mike! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much for this information, Mike! It sounds like the Drive management and promotions team is on the right track to another successful season in Greenville. :D I am interested in knowing what kind of deals can be worked out for large groups (companies, families included) that want to spend a highly enjoyable midday at West End Field on a Saturday. I'll have to find someone to ask for this information, but haven't begun seriously looking yet. I suggested the idea to my colleagues and have pushed for that outing over Frankies Fun Park and Golden Park, among other places.

Wow, it almost reminds me of when the fences weren't up around the place and you had to wear a hard-hat to get in and photograph anything. Ah, the good old days... :wub: I can't wait to see how these changes look when finally implemented.

Everyone else has already said it, but, "Thanks for the update, Mike!" It certainly promises to be an even more entertaining year at West End Field with these new additions, reconfigurations, and with Gabe Kapler at the helm of the "red bootys!" Oh yea, and with a "shrunk down" Reedy Rip-it, too! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived