West End Field

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused....has Chick-Fil-A made overtures toward being the parks corporate sponsor? Did I miss something?

Nah, just random speculation. It was said on here that one of the merchandise stores in the ball park will be a Chic Fil A counter, but that's it.

The Drive owners know their business well apparently. I'd guess if just about any reputable company wants to step forward with $5 - 6 million (i'm guessing what naming rights would be worth), it would be hard to turn down.

I really hope the West End Field retains that name; it gives the venue a local character and identity that corporate sponsorship cannot do. Sometimes I truly feel that we're selling the souls of our cities just for a corporate buck.

That's so true. I hope that it remains West End Field. The name 'West End' has SO much identity right now and it's growing rapidly. It'd be a mistake to change it IMO.

The Drive owners know their business well apparently. I'd guess if just about any reputable company wants to step forward with $5 - 6 million (i'm guessing what naming rights would be worth), it would be hard to turn down.

True, but Americans detest corporate naming. I just hope they don't "sell out".

True, but Americans detest corporate naming. I just hope they don't "sell out".

I agree that Americans detest corporate naming. They also detest taxpayer funded stadiums as a form of corporate welfare. Which do we hate more? I say let a reputable company put their name on the stadium and let the taxpayers subsidize something else (like a great public transportation system to get people to the games!) :whistling:

I don't mind corporate naming as long as it doesn't sound stupid. The "Bi-Lo Center" for example makes it sound like it's a honking big grocery store. The Carolina First Center on the other hand has a totally different ring to it but I'd rather have a corporate sponsorship than have to force taxpayers to foot the bill.

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to say the same thing. I wonder how many other changes the Drive management have in the works for the future? They are definitely on top of things.

My long term concern is that there are not enough seats in the park. Though creating artificial scarcity may be the strategy. I just don't know if for whatever reason, say, a AA team wanted to come to Greenville or if a major college baseball tournament were being considered, if West End Field is big enough to host it.

Though, I'm sure, the initial desire is just build a park to meet today's needs and grow the franchise.

Anyone catch the TLC show "A Home Run for Trademark" last night? It documented the movement of Shoeless Joe's house to its current place by the ballpark. It also had a bit of a human interest story of young player (who worked for Richard Davis on this project) that got kicked out of the game and was given another shot to play. The funny thing was, he got his shot at my old hometown team back in NY. I was able to see my current favorite minor league park and my old favorite all in one show. :thumbsup:

Josh Hamilton is now playing for the Cincinnati Reds.

I think it's great about Josh Hamilton -- that's one of the best parts of the whole story. The TV show was interesting but my 2 biggest takeaways had little to do with Shoeless Joe Jackson. First, that developer guy (Richard Davis? can't remember) OMG WHAT AN EGO. I know you've got to have some chutzpah to accomplish things like that but come on. Wow. I don't think he or the Mayor came across very well in the editing. Anyway, the second thing was just funny. Was anyone else at the very first Drive game last season, and if so, surely you remember that these annoying Jetson's-looking helicopters circled above the stadium for practically the entire game? There were 2 of them, I think, and they were loud enough to really distract from the game. Well, on the TLC show, there was a shot of the developer getting into that exact same helicopter! So I was glad to finally solve the mystery of whose helicopters they were.

Archived