West End Field

Looks like Fluor Field will have a brother "mini Fenway" in Florida.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20081229...354/1010/sports

Wow! $80 Million for a spring training facility that will be used for 17 home games each March. That seems a bit much for just spring training. I'm sure they'll have a developmental league team there as well at some point. Should be neat to see, though. The old spring training facility is rather aged.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An article with a complete list of college baseball that will played at Fluor Field this spring.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3771109

I was chatting with a friend today about Drive baseball and we agreed, the attendance this year will probably continue to rise, even with the national economy in chaos. In fact, the economic picture may be the driving force in Drive baseball this year.......so cost effective for a family.....a great evening and an excellent value. Guarantee you we'll see the 4th record breaking year of attendance. :thumbsup:

An article with a complete list of college baseball that will played at Fluor Field this spring.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/r...ses/?id=3771109

I was chatting with a friend today about Drive baseball and we agreed, the attendance this year will probably continue to rise, even with the national economy in chaos. In fact, the economic picture may be the driving force in Drive baseball this year.......so cost effective for a family.....a great evening and an excellent value. Guarantee you we'll see the 4th record breaking year of attendance. :thumbsup:

It's sure more cost-effective than driving over to Atlanta.

With the increasing attendance figures every year, at what point do they decide they need more room? I love the atmosphere now, because everyone is together and crowds feel larger and more exciting. But, you can only increase attendance so much before almost every game is a sell-out... Is this really a concern, or not?

With the increasing attendance figures every year, at what point do they decide they need more room? I love the atmosphere now, because everyone is together and crowds feel larger and more exciting. But, you can only increase attendance so much before almost every game is a sell-out... Is this really a concern, or not?

I can't honestly see capacity being a huge concern. They've pretty much maxed out what they can do in the space they have as it is and there are PLENTY of games that are not sell-outs, still. The grass lawn/berm is a nice feature and all, but from a revenue standpoint, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the lawn got replaced by more reserved (blue) seats at some point in time....or perhaps a mix of lawn (lower portion) with seats (upper portion) for families with kids that want to run around and don't necessarily need a seat. The grass on the hillside seems to be a bit of an expense to maintain otherwise. Why not convert it to something with lower maintenance costs and more of a revenue stream potential?

I'm not saying that we need more room, but merely asking what others think. Clearly those mid-day games and some on the week nights are not going to draw the kind of crowds we might like. Though, a larger ball park could have advantages for Greenville and the Drive organization.

I, for one, would like to see some college baseball tournaments come to Greenville. The ACC tourney in particular would be a HUGE cash cow for Greenville. Over 50,000 people attended the ACC tournament in 2008 in Jacksonville. Could you imagine what a more centralized location (in addition to Clemson's fan base in the area) would do for attendance and tourism?

For reference:

Jacksonville hosted the ACC tournament for at least the past 3 years. Their stadium has a capacity of 11,000.

Durham will host this year and has a capacity of 10,000.

This year's SEC tournament will be in Hoover, Alabama. Regions Park can seat 10,800 and can accommodate over 16,000.

Just some thoughts. :)

• 4 years later...

2013 College Baseball Series at Fluor Field Schedule:

February

First Pitch Invitational at Fluor Field

15--Michigan State vs. Miami (Ohio), 1 p.m.

15--Furman vs. Northwestern, 5 p.m.

16--Northwestern vs. Miami (Ohio), noon

16 --Furman vs. Michigan State, 4 p.m.

17--Michigan State vs. Northwestern, 11 a.m.

17--Furman vs. Miami (Ohio), 3 p.m.

22--Western Carolina vs. Michigan State, 1 p.m.

22--Michigan State vs. Cincinnati, 5 p.m.

22--Furman vs. Miami (Ohio) ---at Furman, 5 p.m.

23--Western Carolina vs. Miami (Ohio), 10 a.m.

23--Furman vs. Cincinnati, 2 p.m.

23--Furman vs. Michigan State, 6 p.m.

24--Michigan State vs. Miami (Ohio), 11 a.m.

24--Western Carolina vs. Cincinnati, 3 p.m.

March

2--Clemson vs. South Carolina, 2 p.m.

13--North Greenville vs. Southern Wesleyan, 7 p.m.

16--Presbyterian vs. Connecticut, 7 p.m.

17--Furman vs. Davidson, 2 p.m.

April

3--Furman vs. South Carolina, 7 p.m.

9--Anderson vs. Lander, 7 p.m.

12--HBCU Classic, 7 p.m.

23--USC Upstate vs. Furman, 7 p.m.

30--Wofford vs. Winthrop, 7 p.m.

May

3--North Greenville vs. Limestone, 7 p.m.

8--Clemson vs. Furman, 7 p.m.

22-26 Southern Conference Baseball Championship

Archived