West End Field

On my flight back into GV Sunday, we came in from the north over downtown, nice and clear (wish I would have had my camera). The ballpark makes a nice impact! :thumbsup: The infield and outfield were all clearly marked (obviously no green grass), the roof showing up well, covers a much bigger area than you realize. From the air, the ballpark looked ready to open. Can't wait! :D

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to a Public Notice snail mail I received from the city, a new building is going up in the West End at 18 S. Markley St. Tad Mallory is the applicant. The Certificate of appropriateness was granted this month, now it is under review for approval of the parking and exterior building patterning.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday, January 1, 2006:

I took advantage of the holiday combined with today being a Sunday (and lack of construction) and went down to see how things are progressing.

Words cannot describe, so let me share these:

The view from the Field Street (Right Field Line) Entrance:

20060101_0001.jpg

The view from the 12th row behind Home Plate:

20060101_0002.jpg

The view down the left field stands from behind Home Plate:

20060101_0003.jpg

The view of the infield from down the Right Field Line:

20060101_0004.jpg

The view of the stands from same position down the Right Field Line:

20060101_0005.jpg

The view of the infield and the stands from the Picnic Terrace:

20060101_0006.jpg

The view of the 30' Tall "Greenville Monster" and Left and Center Fields from the Picnic Terrace

20060101_0007.jpg

April 6 is just around the corner!

Does anybody have any information about public art (or art in general) that may have been commissioned for the new ballpark?

I came across this photo of Fifth Third Field in Toledo Ohio:

e5ed34c8.jpg

It's of some kids of little-league age climbing on a garbage can and otherwise doing whatever they can to try to get a peek at a ballgam through a hole in an old wooden outfield wall. This seems very family-oriented (or kid-oriented at least) and looks like something right off of the cover of the Saturday Evening Post.

I'd like to see something like this placed outside of the new ballpark once it's completed.

:D Wow, thanks I do like that picture! The only bad thing about this angle is that a lot of the buildings are hidden behind one another. Like the Liberty Sqare buildings, but then again, theyre not usually visible from most angles. But I do like how you can see the Bookends. :thumbsup: Not to get your hopes up or just get you down, but just imagine this picture in let's say 5 years! There will hopefully be a new Federal Court House, The Pinnacle, and dare I say the Tower at Falls and Broad!? and many more... :silly:

• 3 weeks later...

I was at the city council work session today and hear a update from the Drive management. Most of the information was covered in the paper today but did hear a few new things.

Will be installing turf in two weeks

Will be ready for opening day on April 6

Will start converting firehouse for ticket sales next week

They are way over budget

Construction crews are working 7 days a week 16 hour days

Light and sound is specially designed to be contained in ballpark as much as possible (more and smaller lights and speakers)

Possible open house before season starts.

The team owners and management seem to have their act together.

I was at the city council work session today and hear a update from the Drive management. Most of the information was covered in the paper today but did hear a few new things.

Will be installing turf in two weeks

Will be ready for opening day on April 6

Will start converting firehouse for ticket sales next week

They are way over budget

Construction crews are working 7 days a week 16 hour days

Light and sound is specially designed to be contained in ballpark as much as possible (more and smaller lights and speakers)

Possible open house before season starts.

The team owners and management seem to have their act together.

The playing surface will be turf and not grass? :unsure:

As long as it's green and doesn't flood every time it rains (i.e. Municipal Stadium), I'll be happy with whatever they use. I am getting anxious to see a game (or two...three...etc...) from the "upper" deck in the Spring. :D

Ugh. That stuff they play on artificial turf ain't baseball. :sick: The drainage at the new ballpark is such that the field can withstand an 8 minute microburst and be ready to play in under 30 minutes. :D

I'm ready to take in a few games now, but I'll wait until April 6th. :silly:

I'm not a fan of artificial turf myself either, but at least I wouldn't have to play on it. Some of the new A turf looks very convincing, but you can't replicate the real thing no matter how hard you try. And in any case, who'd really want to do that in an area where grass grows greener than just about anywere else in the country? :lol:

Saturday, January 21, 2006:

Here are a few photos to give you the idea of what it will be like to enter the ballpark from the Field Street (Right Field) Entrance.

Facing the entrance and looking Left:

20060121_0001.jpg

Facing the entrance and looking Right:

20060121_0002.jpg

Approaching the steps up into the ballpark:

20060121_0003.jpg

At the top of the steps (notice that the door and the manual scoreboard have been cut into our replica Green Monster):

20060121_0004.jpg

Looking left to the stands:

20060121_0006.jpg

20060121_0005.jpg

Archived