CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Pinnacle on Main

RestedTraveler

I like the Beattie Place and North Main beautification and pedestrian-friendly enhancements under construction.

I'm with you all the way! Something large needs to begin construction very soon or we'll be in danger of losing the momentum that was gained over the past few years. I look at other cities with loads of development and hope we can make that happen here with a positive urban impact. :)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that the first time I viewed the video on the website. You're right, this is a very small highrise in termes of width. What it lacks in footprint area, is made up in its height. Talk about an impact on the Greenville skyline! It has been far too long since the last large structure was added here. :)

According to the original article, The Pinnacle on Main is supposed to be 13 stories tall. There is another similar building planned for an undisclosed location, but no additional information has been released as of today. I can think of several locations another tower with such a small footprint could go, but until we have evidence that the first will actually be constructed, the outlook is less hopeful that the second will be as well.

Even though there is a good bit of real estate downtown for a tower, i'm glad to see that efforts are being made toward density. This tower's VERY small footprint will only make it look taller and be a great fill for that spot. It shall be interesting to see just how little it will be-- I think it's hard for a rendering or a plan to really do justice when you're trying to determine size. Hopefully by the end of January (one week) we'll see action at this site. :rolleyes: We just have to get the ball rolling on one... keep your fingers crossed. And, if you want to help out... WILL ONE OF YOU COUGH UP THE MONEY AND BUY A FREAKIN CONDO ALREADY!?!?! :rofl: haha, I sure wish I could

It's the type of building I'd like to see more of in downtown Greenville, if the construction cost can be justified in the end. This creates more density, plus lends to unique architectural gems sprouting up on the skyline. Small businesses and urban homeowners would greatly benefit as well. It is a win-win situation nearly all over. :)

It's the type of building I'd like to see more of in downtown Greenville, if the construction cost can be justified in the end. This creates more density, plus lends to unique architectural gems sprouting up on the skyline. Small businesses and urban homeowners would greatly benefit as well. It is a win-win situation nearly all over. :)

It's the type of building I would like to see in downtown more too; if it ever gets built.

• 1 month later...

That cemetery is a big barrier, IMO. I understand that it historical, but it is too big to have in a downtown area the size of Greenville's. It is rather unsightly too. I certainly wouldn't want to pay over $1 million for a condo or office that overlooks a big, ugly cemetery.

That cemetery is a big barrier, IMO. I understand that it historical, but it is too big to have in a downtown area the size of Greenville's. It is rather unsightly too. I certainly wouldn't want to pay over $1 million for a condo or office that overlooks a big, ugly cemetery.

400 North Main overlooks the cemetery too and it had no problems. Condos sold there for up to 800k. I think one of the other threads says they haven't held auctions. Without an auction, there's a much longer timescale to sale the units.

The cemetery is full of history and sculpture though. There's little or no room for additional burials there; however, the area could be very park-like and could be built around and even tied into the park system somehow. It would put me in mind of parts of Boston, really. There are people that wouldn't mind living next door as long as there was something nearby in addition to the cemetery that was a convenience or draw for them. I'm specifically thinking of McPherson Park. It's undergoing some changes; however, nothing seems to be spectacular and it is still isolated from the rest of the park system.

I would rather overlook the cemetery than parking lots or the rooftops of other buildings. A group from Clemson University did a master plan for Springwood and Richland cemeteries a little while back. I think the cemetery could look better if some improvements similar to these were made, along with a little better upkeep.

Cemetery Master Plan

That cemetery is one of the remaining pieces of the old city. Very little is left on such a scale to remind us of those days. Main Street at one time had beautiful mansions lining each side. Now I realize that there are very few alive who actually knew any of the deceased buried in this cemetery, but I love the terrain and ld trees casting shade over the marble and granite tombstones. Seems quite peaceful in the midst of a bustling city. Sure, this land could have been used to extend the CBD's skyline further out, but a place like this reminds us of both the past and our future. ;)

I realize the importance of the history, but I suppose my problem lies with the fact that it is somewhat poorly cared for and has not been included in development plans. I am not sure of the details of the plan Clemson came up with, but something needs to be done. Until someone works WITH the cemetery rather than AROUND it, it will continue to be a big barrier.

I realize the importance of the history, but I suppose my problem lies with the fact that it is somewhat poorly cared for and has not been included in development plans. I am not sure of the details of the plan Clemson came up with, but something needs to be done. Until someone works WITH the cemetery rather than AROUND it, it will continue to be a big barrier.

Just curious, Does anyone know any updates on this project? Its been very quiet and there seems to be no progress at the site. I have this gut feeling this project will never get off the ground.

Archived