Area or Region of your state that gets a bad rap.

NcSc74

I would say everything east of I-95 in NC. First of all since 95 is the most heavily traveled and the main north south interstae on the eastern seabord most people will develop opinions of places based on travel expriences. It does not help that 95 cuts through the one of the most rural portions of NC. Not only that but the largest city it goes through(Fayettville) doesn't really goes through. It misses it by about 2 miles and all that you see is gas stations and exit signs telling you the nearsest developments are miles away. I hate the drive on 95 through my home state. I will never forgive the person who decided on the path of I-95. All of my family from NJ would always think that all of NC is like what they see on 95. However if you like slow pace rural living and dense pine forest and close proximity to a merto then anything east of 95 will do. The Outer Banks and Wilmington are not included in this assesment.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummm.. pretty much all of Tennessee, especially Nashville and everything east is considered to be a whole lot of hicks, while there are just as many hicks as in every other state.

Memphis is also known to be a very poor black city, but it really isn't very poor and is startin to grow rapidly.

I would say in Georgia, South Georgia gets a bad rep. However, being from S. GA, I think it is all false. We are categorized as dumb rednecks/hillbillies. S. Georgians, don't talk the same as N. Georgians (to me they are more "proper"). Personally I would rather live in S.GA than N.GA (nothing against N. GA of course), but everyone has there own opinions. We (S. Georgians) are smarter than the average bear!

~S. GA Rulez B)

Basically any county that US 80 runs through in Alabama has a worse reputation than the rest of the state. Some people call this the "Black Belt", but I like to call it the Blue Belt, b/c they were the only counties in the state to vote for Kerry in 2004. :)

It seems like in sometimes, the "cajun counry" area of Louisiana gets a bad rap...

Many people seem to think that its just a redneck haven, where the people talk with a weird accent.

When in reality it is one of the most interesting areas of the country IMO, the people are great, the history is amazing, the food is top notch, and the culture is amazing!

In Kentucky, Lexington is stereotyped as snobby and rich. (Horse farms and the largest university.) The eastern part of the state gets dumped on and classified as rednecks. People in Louisville think they're better than everyone else and aren't part of the state.

In NC, West and East Charlotte are known for being dangerous and having most of the black population. I might have to agree being from there. East and West Charlotte are dangerous. Recently, in two days there were five murders in east Charlotte. I also think that western NC (mountains) has a reputation for being hillbilly.

Floridians with opinions are typically from the cities. All the rural counties tend to get harrassed by the more populated counties that nieghbor them. In tallahassee, we tend to pick on Wakulla and the crazy people out highway 20 (en route to panama city). Though, we talk about miami pretty harshley asell. (yankee jewish cubans)

Ummm.. pretty much all of Tennessee, especially Nashville and everything east is considered to be a whole lot of hicks, while there are just as many hicks as in every other state.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

However, in a recent Harris poll, Tennessee was listed as the tenth most popular state in the USA that people would move to if they had to leave their current home state. And Nashville was listed as the 15th most popular City to move to. So our image must not be too negative.

The list:

1. California

2. Florida

3. Hawaii

4. Colorado

5. New York

6. Arizona

7. Oregon

8. Texas

9. North Carolina

10. Tennessee

• 5 weeks later...

The whole state of Arkansas has a bad reputation. Though there are certainly very nice areas of the state that get overlooked. Southeast Arkansas can easily be mentioned although sometimes even scenice areas like the Ozarks help people still think of Arkansas as a hillbilly state.

Floridians with opinions are typically from the cities. All the rural counties tend to get harrassed by the more populated counties that nieghbor them. In tallahassee, we tend to pick on Wakulla and the crazy people out highway 20 (en route to panama city). Though, we talk about miami pretty harshley asell. (yankee jewish cubans)

Oh my! :o We say that? :huh:

In Kentucky, Lexington is stereotyped as snobby and rich. (Horse farms and the largest university.) The eastern part of the state gets dumped on and classified as rednecks. People in Louisville think they're better than everyone else and aren't part of the state.

No No No buddy i'm sorry but it's the other way around yall in Lexington got yall noses so high up in the air if it rains yall drown.

Another thing it's the state of Kentucky against Louisville all those hicks are scared of our high crime rate and flashy cars. And yes we are proud of being Kentuckians and I don't know who told yall that we ain't. So think before you put some ignorant crap up here. :angry:

Man I can't believe somebody from Lexington's( that suburban 10 murder a year town) is trying to call someone else a snob. :rofl:

The I-95 corridor between Richmond to Jacksonville. It burns me up when people from up north say for example " oh, Georgia is redneck, ugly and nothing to see" and im like " ever get off I-95" and the person says " no " and im like " ok then, that shows ignorance! Travel allover the state before you jump to conclusions ".

I think that the Delta and Farming area's gives Arkansas a somewhat "hilibilly image", when really many parts of the state such as Northwest Arkansas (Bentonville, Fayetteville, Rogers), Little Rock, Jonesboro, and Conway are in and economic boom right now.

Yet, people who are prone to stereotypes such as hillbilly don't measure that in terms such as economic growth. I suppose a region could be termed "hillbilly" and have great growth, and have little growth and be termed not "hillbilly.

As far as the Delta goes, I can't imagine how the term "hillbilly" would ever be used for a flatland, swampy area with rice and cotton plantations, and a majority black culture. It's a completely different culture from the "upland" South.

• 8 months later...

Well, I-95 is the same way through SC--so friggin' BORING. The only major/popular areas the interstate cuts through is the Hilton Head/Beaufort area and Florence. I would say that the Pee Dee area, which I-95 does cut through, get the worst rep in SC.

Yeah I agree. Florence and the Pee Dee have a bad rep in most categories.

Memphis is also known to be a very poor black city, but it really isn't very poor and is startin to grow rapidly.

As an outsider, I'd say that east tennessee has the worst rep. Knoxville in particular... maybe the tri-cities too. I've not been to these places myself (yet) so this is only what I have heard.

Personally I would rather live in S.GA than N.GA (nothing against N. GA of course), but everyone has there own opinions. We (S. Georgians) are smarter than the average bear!

~S. GA Rulez B)

I agree 100%

I would say in Georgia, South Georgia gets a bad rep. However, being from S. GA, I think it is all false. We are categorized as dumb rednecks/hillbillies. S. Georgians, don't talk the same as N. Georgians (to me they are more "proper"). Personally I would rather live in S.GA than N.GA (nothing against N. GA of course), but everyone has there own opinions. We (S. Georgians) are smarter than the average bear!

I'm up in NC but I worked here with someone who was originally from Moultrie GA (she's going to UNC) and she's one of the coolest people I think I've ever met. Between her and my old childhood hero Jimmy Carter, I'd say S. Georgia (only been through there once myself) is way ahead of a lot of places.

No No No buddy i'm sorry but it's the other way around yall in Lexington got yall noses so high up in the air if it rains yall drown.

It's one of those college-town things. Chapel Hill?- This place scares the %^)& outta me, and I live here, and sometimes I'm even a snob. And it still scares me :rofl:

I think the 2 areas in NC with a "bad rap" are NE NC and Western NC(mountains, not including Asheville.) NE NC has had numerous economic challenges and many towns there seem "frozen" in time. Western NC plays to the tourism card which leads to the "hillbilly" image.

Western NC has it's issues, but remains one of the coolest places on earth. Many friends in Asheville, a buddy once worked in Waynesville (I hung out there a bit), and I lived in Boone/Foscoe for 12 years, and from about W. Jefferson down to about Waynesville, I know it like the back of my hand. And boy does the area have issues (what place doesn't?), but folks there know it, and it's virtues are truly one-of-a-kind.

About the only swipe I could make at my home state - if all anyone knows of NC is what they can see from I-85 (or if your assumptions are based on the condition of I-85 itself), then ... I apologize. Next trip thru the state, I might suggest US 17/NC 12 up the coast, or the BR Parkway in the west, or NC 49/US 64 between Concord & Cary, and those suggestions would just be for starters...

Archived