Off topic postings

urbanvb

I decided to start an off topic posting since this forum did not have one. We have one in the Hampton Roads forum and I thought it might be a good idea to have one here.

First, it is good to see the Raleigh participation on the upswing. I see lots of new 'faces' and that is great. :)

Secondly, my sister lives just outside of the Raleigh area and I would like to visit her soon. Some suggestions on what to do or see when I am there would be most appreciated.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from Chapel Hill but go to Raleigh quite often. These are things I would suggest:

NC Museum of Natural Science (pretty impressive museum)

NC Museum of History (across from Natural Science Museum)

NC Museum of Art

Artspace

There are a lot of music clubs in downtown:

King's (rock, punk, indy rock etc., movies) King's Barcade

Lincoln Theatre (all over the map as far as music) Lincoln Theatre

Pour House-rock/blues The Pourhouse

Berkeley Cafe-blues, rock, metal, punk, hip hop, electronic Berkeley Cafe

These websites may help as well

Raleigh

ZSpotlight

Downtown Raleigh

Downtown Raleigh Alliance

Yea. There actually is. As someone from Chapel Hill I was always told there was no reason to go to Raleigh but my girlfriend and I went to a concert there and found this to be untrue. I should have mentioned that there are also a ton of parks in the area-the websites should help you out with this as well as restaurants. City Search is also pretty helpful.

I should have mentioned that there are also a ton of parks in the area-

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah - bring your bicycle if you're into that. Lots of greenways, plus piles of miles of trails in Umstead Forest. I recommend the trails on Crabtree Creek, Reedy Creek, and Rocky Branch.

Can't forget the Tobacco Trail, either. A week or so ago, I went with a friend, parked the car in the Kroger lot by Southpoint, rode up to the American Tobacco District, ate at Tyler's, went to a Durham Bulls game, and then rode back after the game. It was dark on the way back so a GOOD headlight was absolutely essential.

I decided to start an off topic posting since this forum did not have one. We have one in the Hampton Roads forum and I thought it might be a good idea to have one here.

First, it is good to see the Raleigh participation on the upswing. I see lots of new 'faces' and that is great. :)

Secondly, my sister lives just outside of the Raleigh area and I would like to visit her soon. Some suggestions on what to do or see when I am there would be most appreciated.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do you like to do? Are you a night owl? Glenwood South (bewteen Hillsborough St and Peace St) has around 20 bars and restaurants in its 6 blocks. The next big intersection up Glenwood, is known as 5-points (crossing with Fairview Rd and Whitaker Mill Rd.) has a half dozen antique shops, half dozen restaruants, a cool coffee shop and an old one screen movie theater that serves wine and beer(!). These are my favorite areas of town.

Actually there are a ton of good restaurants in the downtown area:

Duck and Dumpling

Cafe Luna

Tir Na Nog

Coopers BBQ

Nana's Chophouse

Second Empire (and Tavern)

Mojo's

Enoteca Vin

Ed's

Poole's

Five Star

The Underground

Bogarts

Lily's Pizza

42nd Street Oyster Bar

many more

Martin Street RIP!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, Martin Street Music Hall is no more. I like to go to Lizzies underneath quite a bit. I think it closed too. Great club, great location, a real city feel, but I think it was porrly managed and had a hard time fighting Lincoln Theater, Kings and the Pour House. It will be a club soon enough and with Fayetteville St opening up, it is prime for something new.

• 3 weeks later...

I love Coldplay. I thought the concert was great. However, I went to the Staind and 3 doors down show the night before. I went to see Staind. And to my surprise 3 Doors blew Staind off the stage. In their own way the 3 doors show was even better than Coldplays. It could be because I had great seats for the 3 Doors down show though. Coldplay I was in section 5. So I could not feel the energy as much. (3 doors I had section 2 center stage(10 rows behind the pit)

All in all both shows were amazing! I love Coldplay and I knew the words to every song. It was an amazing weekend for concerts. I just wish the crowds at Alltell would get into the music more(like they used to back in the early 90's) for the most part the crowd just stands there. Kind of boring if you ask me. I enjoy shows at Clubs a lot more.

Has anyone else noticed evidence of Fall already in the Raleigh area? I've noticed a number trees with yellow leaves already (some showing a bit of red), and the ground around "natural" areas like Lake Johnson already have a surprising number of fallen leaves.

It seems like it took forever to reach this point last year (happened sometime in October?), but now we're just in early September and it's happening. The weather has been so nice lately too. I wonder if this means we'll get another 24" blizzard in January? :lol:

We really enjoyed the Coldplay concert, too. It's funny how we never got ANY bit of personality from them through the Rush of Blood To The Head years. All of a sudden, Chris Martin is the most selfless, engaging guy on the planet. That Gwyneth must be sumpen special. His response to screwing up The Scientist was hilarious. Quite different than one time I saw Pavement where they had to start a song 4 times and never apologized.

I really liked that 10' x 50' video board. It made Politik really intense. I have to say that Clocks was one of the top 50 best live songs I've ever seen. The big yellow balloons were a great touch for Yellow. Someone posted a few nice pics over at Flikr. Search for the tag "Raleigh".

Here is the set list:

* "Square One " - Coldplay

* "Politik" - Coldplay

* "Yellow" - Coldplay

* "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" - Coldplay

* "Speed Of Sound" - Coldplay

* "Low" - Coldplay

* "A Rush Of Blood To The Head" - Coldplay

* "Everything's Not Lost" - Coldplay

* "White Shadows" - Coldplay

* "The Scientist" - Coldplay

* "'Til Kingdom Come" - Coldplay

* "Ring Of Fire" - Johnny Cash

* "Don't Panic" - Coldplay

* "Happy Birthday, Johnny"

* "Clocks" - Coldplay

* "Talk" - Coldplay

* "Swallowed In The Sea" - Coldplay

* "In My Place" - Coldplay

* "Fix You" - Coldplay

If you have a Rhapsody account, you can listen to it at:

http://rhaplinks.real.com/rhaplink?type=pl...902&from=listen

I could NOT believe that they played "Low". I would much rather have heard "A Message". "Talk" is weak, too.

The sound in a place like that, unfortunately, is only coming from a tiny, single spot for those of us at the back of the reserved seating. So if I had the 6000th worst seat in the house, how much better or worse would it be than having the worst seat in a 6000 seat arena or theater??? Walnut Creek' sbaseball layout is still better for that 6000th worst seat, I think.

I thought that Walnut Creek handled the sell-out show much better than they did ~5 yrs ago. There were parking lot shuttles, free garbage bags, utilization of the west entrance for standard ticket holders, coupons for people who waited too long for food, external food sources (Moes, Q-shack, Jersey Mikes), and nice traffic flow out of there.

This is in stark contrast to Cary's Booth Amphitheatre which, for a sold out Jack Johnson show, featured unclear rules about bringing in chairs, 30 minute food lines, food supply exhaustion, long bathroom lines, and horrible exiting traffic. Our parking lot did not start clearing until 1 hour after the show ended. The show ended at 10:00pm, but we got home, near North Hills, at 11:45. ugh.

I could NOT believe that they played "Low". I would much rather have heard "A Message". "Talk" is weak, too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Surprisingly we have the exact opposite opinion on that. Didn't see the performance though, so I can't say if it worked or not.

I've missed so many good live shows at Cat's Cradle in the past couple summers:

Tortoise, Cave-In, And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, the Killers, it's insane.

Do you mean that you are not surprised they played low or that you like Low and Talk and not A Message?

Our favorite concert in quite a while was Keane in Myrtle Beach in June. Tom's voice is even better live.

Surprisingly we have the exact opposite opinion on that. Didn't see the performance though, so I can't say if it worked or not.

I've missed so many good live shows at Cat's Cradle in the past couple summers:

Tortoise, Cave-In, And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead, the Killers, it's insane.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived