Off topic postings

urbanvb

I was out and about around 1 this morning and it was sleeting in Cary! I just wish it would snow :-p

Like I did today, waking up to no snow when it was predicted always makes me feel like a little kid. Such a deflating experience to look out the window and see nuttin but rain. :(

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I did today, waking up to no snow when it was predicted always makes me feel like a little kid. Such a deflating experience to look out the window and see nuttin but rain. :(

I keep thinking we will get a good snow this year. It has been a while since we had one. Yeah, 33 and rain stinks. It might as well be snow.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone out there know of any alternatives to TWC? They (like most others) just hiked their rates and I'm paying 52 bucks a month for standard cable, and I don't even have any premium channels. I'd downgrade to their basic package but a quarter of the channels are either in Spanish or home shopping channels.

Get DirecTV with their TiVo DVR. It's the best. You'll get al the local channels... WUNC, WRAL, WTVD, WNCN, WLFL, WRDC, WRAZ, etc..

Cable is ABSURD how much they jack up their prices... DirecTV or Dish Network really is your best bet. I hear that by summer (i think) locals will be carried in HD.

Best part of satellite - All channels in 100% digital quality (unlike digicrap cable)

i opted for the internet and a gym membership instead of paying for cable. i read more books, go to the gym, and join time wasting internet forums insted of watching TV... i just reminded myself that people existed for a long time without 200 channels of TV to watch... if you really think about it, it is pretty unnescessary.

You do not have to have Cable TV to get road runner. Time Warner will still give you the service if you want it for 40 dollars a month.

Dish Network is the best. All you have to do is compare the packages of Dish Network, Direct tv and cable and you will see dish network is the best.

For 52 dollars a month, thats including local channels, you get the movie Channel, the Movie Channel Extra, Encore east and west, Mystery, Action, Westerns, love, Drama, Fox movie Channel...the entire Encore package. Direct tv offers none of that at that price. Neither does cable.

Dish network also gives you a free DVR

Dish also has more HD channels, they are adding 7 more this Feb. Dish does not charge extra for HD recievers either, unlike Cable. Dish also does not charge extra for DVR's..just the standard 4.99 a month.

Direct Tv is not bad though.

I have dish network along with Road Runner from time warner and Vonage digital phone.

I have the dish everything pack...which is every channel there is(HBO, Starz, Max, Showtime)

My total bill per month is $170....thats for Dish, roadrunner, and digital telephone...which I can call anywhere in the U.S. for free. This also includes like 10 HD channels from Voom(which is offered through Dish Network).

But as you can see if I had the 52 dollar a month package my bill would be much less

In defense of Cable Tv. They have way more expenses than Dish networks. They have cable offices in every town and techs to pay also. They also have to pay private contractors to bury the cable and the drops to the houses. Not only do they have the offices but they also have many more large call centers to pay for. On top of that they also have to pay for all those trucks and stuff. Think about it. Thats why they charge more.

I wish Dish companies would give you choice for local channel programming. Nothing against the Raleigh DMA or any TV market for that matter but lets say you live in western Chatham County (Siler City), people are much closer to the Triad than the Triangle. Im probably the only person that cares but on the TWC-Southern Pines lineup growing up, we were served by 3 markets when i first moved there (Triangle/Triad/Wilmington) and we still were able to pick up Channels 13 and 15 out of the Florence/Myrtle Beach market very clear with rabbit ears so thats four! I love WRAL but every now and then, id like to see whats going down in Florence, Greensboro or Wilmington too.

You can thank the National Association of Broadcasters for that. They lobbied the Republican congress, which doesn't say no to business now, to pass laws that would prevent the Sat companies from delivering content outside the local area. The NAB wants to protect their monopoly. So as a result, we have a 21st century technology that has been hobbled by 1950s business models. Nothing new here, unfortunately.

DirecTV is the way to go if you like sports like me. I get my NFL package and all kinds of different games from around the country.

I just don't care for TimeWarner, but I do get my internet through them.

I think DishNet has a real cheap basic package if basic is all you want. It used to be $35 bucks if I recall.

You can thank the National Association of Broadcasters for that. They lobbied the Republican congress, which doesn't say no to business now, to pass laws that would prevent the Sat companies from delivering content outside the local area. The NAB wants to protect their monopoly. So as a result, we have a 21st century technology that has been hobbled by 1950s business models. Nothing new here, unfortunately.

Damn special interest groups! :angry:

Remember Tom Smith from the Crossroads Ford commericials?

If you noticed that hes no longer around, i saw him on TV down in the Charleston area doing a car commericial in West Ashley. By the time i leave Chas. sunday morning returning to Jersey, ill probably get a headache from this guy. "HI FOLKS, THIS IS TOM SMITH... BUY BUY BUY THIS SILVERADO YALL FOR FIFTHTEEN NINE, THERE GOING FAST"

• 4 weeks later...

Was driving through Durham today and as I was approaching downtown it started snowing, so I decided to cruise through downtown in the flurries, then it stopped snowing a mile or so away from downtown on the freeway as I was heading back to Cary. I'm just happy I can finally say I saw snow this winter, even if it didn't stick.

Archived