Off topic postings

urbanvb

I noticed something quite interesting this evening while viewing a WRAL video online. When the video starts there are the anchors names and "WRAL TV/ WRAL DT Raleigh". Wonder where they got the DT abbreviation from and wonder what your average joe thinks it means? :P (I first started seeing that abbreviation actually here on UP).

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure WRAL uses DT to denote Digital Television, or maybe Digital Transmission?

They have been consistently at the forefront of the digital transition, including the first to transmit an over the air high definition signal. They sometimes denote the digital channels that will share the "main" channel's spectrum as 5.2, 50.3, etc. They are also on board with HD radio, though I don't know if they are using the extra channels from their 101.5 and 99.9 frequencies. They are unifying their tv, radio, and internet presences to exend the brand, news collection/distribution, and their on-air talent. Their message boards seem to still be overrun by knuckle draggers who think downtown Raleigh is overrun with drug dealers and the homeless.

WRAL also used to be the default CBS affilliate for sattelite systems that didn't carry their local CBS affiliate.

In 2000-2001, they installed an HD antenna on the roof of the house I was living in to test the HD signal and its ability to transmit data to an application that could pair the video with text and links for weather, sports, shopping, ads, etc. I think they decided that using that capactity for additional channels made more sense, but I was just a "test subject" so I don't know what happend to the program.

Archived