Off topic postings

urbanvb

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Triangle Parkway, I can't possibly imagine how it will succeed as a toll road, given its limited scope (3 miles!) and the vast array of alternatives that exist

The toll authority is determining right now whether these projects are viable as exclusively funded toll roads. If not, some could be partially funded with tolls... I would guess that the Triangle Parkway would be one of those projects. Maybe they could charge $0.25 until demand picks up. You also should remember that it likely wouldn't be built for about 8-10 years, so there's plenty of unmet demand left!

BTW, I'm not gay, but I have a few gay friends. Also, anyone interested might want to check out the film "Loggerheads." A quality indy film by a NC born gay director.

Of course, but the cycle usually takes more than a decade to complete, even in cases of explosive growth like western Wake. Triangle Parkway would be cast as a white elephant until demand caught up with supply. Until then, toll revenues might not even cover operating expenses and maintenence, much less pay off the $100 million or so it will cost to build.

fair point

I have been reading off and on about the 'soft' office market in the Triange for a while yet on the other hand it seems a lot of businesses are relocating to the area. I assume the tech bubble burst left a lot of unoccupied office space in its wake several years ago. Can someone update me on the current status of space available? Thanks.

BTW, I'm not gay, but I have a few gay friends. Also, anyone interested might want to check out the film "Loggerheads." A quality indy film by a NC born gay director.

Oooh yes, I've heard thats a wonderful film. I think it has left the Rialto already, so I'll have to check to see where its moved to before it leaves the Triangle area. Did you see it?

Verizon is just rolling out its wireless broadband service here in Va Beach. I was wondering if the Raleigh area already has it and also if anyone knew exactly how the service works.

I believe we do have it, because I've been getting advertisement mailings about it for about 5 months now. I believe Raleigh was a test market for the service (if not with Verizon, then some other company) because I had a few friends who had wireless broadband last year before it was available to the public and thats how they got it. Apparently, it works very well... you can basically be anywhere in your area and have internet access. I had a friend who said he was being driven around in a car and surfing the net as a passenger. It's still fairly expensive though, but I hope the cost will come down once its not such a new thing.

• 2 weeks later...

^Much better than her last album, of course she couldnt go wrong this time. Stuart Price is a front runner among dance music producers, and his work with Madonna is brilliant. Much better than some of the stuff he has released under the moniker of Zoot Woman or Les Rythmes Digitales. His Jacques Lu Cont and Thin White Duke productions are usually really good though. This is the album I had hoped American Life would be. Better late than never, right? I noticed that Britney Spears has a Jacques Lu Cont remix on her upcoming release as well. Really no surprise since she is kinda like a new version of a young Madonna.

• 2 weeks later...

Thursday evening some Triangle residents saw their first winter-ish weather of the season, if only for a few moments. Many people around Durham, Wake, and Johnston County reported the presence of sleet mixed with a very brief rain shower that rolled through the area as a warmer mass of air mixed with the existing colder air. This was a surprise event because the possibility of a rain shower that evening was very slim, and there was no mention of any kind of frozen precip.

Tomorrow (Dec 5) holds the possibility for a little of frozen precip in the western and northern parts of the Triangle metro--ironic since this is the anniversary of similar events in 2002 and 2003. An even greater possibility for snow exists for the Triad (less than an inch forecast), and places far west like Boone could see significant accumulation.

Snow accumulation Dec 4th-5th 2002

frozen.accum.gif

Frozen accumulation Dec 4th-5th 2002

freezing.accum.gif

Snow event Dec 4th-5th 2003

accum.20031204.gif

Oooh yes, I've heard thats a wonderful film. I think it has left the Rialto already, so I'll have to check to see where its moved to before it leaves the Triangle area. Did you see it?

Yeah, I saw it at the Rialto when it was there. I thought it was a quality film. A bit slow in parts, but it was poignant, well cast (you might recognize Chris Sarandon) and about a subject that is not well known or talked about much (state adoption law). The other cool part is that it's all set in and showcases the multiple regions of NC (Asheville, Eden, Charlotte, Kure Beach). I'd give it a *** out of 4.

In the same buliding as where Martin Street Music hall was, there seems to be some sort of club run by the owner of est est est around the block, club whiplash. There was a story on TBJ or WRAL about wanting an exemption to be able to have exotic dancers. They claim existing laws keeping such businesses from offices, churches, schools, and residential areas as being unfair and on the books only to keep competition out of the city to the benefit of foxy lady, thee dollhouse, etc. Does anyone know more about this? I've been by on walks a couple of nights and the door to the up/down stairwell was left open, unguarded.

I was never in when it was Martin Street (or Retail before that), but it always looked neat in passing and a good location just off Fayetville St. It would be nice if it was the ground floor of a taller structure -- a building between the old Capital City club building and 234 Fayetville St (and a stone's throw from the new RBC tower site) shouldn't be two stories plus basement. But that change may come with time...

There was a painting of Martin street pizza and subs, but that might just be part of the building, or "restaurant by day, club by night" kind of space too...

If all the downtown music clubs are doing well, then I'm more than happy to have one more!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived