Off topic postings

urbanvb

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in Raleigh and still haven't seen a snowflake... except if you consider when I was skiing in Vail last month. :D

We had a few flakes on Saturday, and that was it. I remember when we HAD winters. They were nice. It's a shame we don't get winter anymore.

We had a few flakes on Saturday, and that was it. I remember when we HAD winters. They were nice. It's a shame we don't get winter anymore.

I know, I agree. When I was a kid we had several snow events per year. Now we're lucky to get anything, and its usually just nasty ice.

Good thing the US is ignoring its obligations under the Kyoto Accord. I'd hate to think there was a chance of our doing something to get seasons again...

Well there is snow in the forecast again for this weekend and Monday. What do you think...will it happen? Sure is nice out today.

Seems hard to imagine given current conditions.

And, ok. I know this may be too specific, but if it's going to get nasty, why does it have to do it over the weekend?!? If it stayed in the upper 60's all weekend, then snowed 2 feet on Monday night, I'd be JUST FINE! :P

My Raleigh friends say that Roxboro is the snow cutoff line. Everything south and east of there never gets the snow the forecast promises.

This is my first "winter" away from New England. I came here to get away from the snow, but part of me really misses it. That, and the rumours I've heard about southerners trying to drive in the snow being tragically hysterical.

My Raleigh friends say that Roxboro is the snow cutoff line. Everything south and east of there never gets the snow the forecast promises.

This is my first "winter" away from New England. I came here to get away from the snow, but part of me really misses it. That, and the rumours I've heard about southerners trying to drive in the snow being tragically hysterical.

tragic and comical mostly because we don't have those nifty snowplows and salt trucks you have up north, and of course nobody buys chains to use once every other year. PLus we ordinarily get ice rather than snow. I've never seen anyone from anywhere who can drive on that. <_<

There is no cut off line for snow south and east of Roxboro.

Raleigh Avg,s 8 inches of snowfall per yer. We are having a below avg year so far with just a trace. Go 30 miles east of Raleigh and this decade has been very snowy with already up to 5 storms dumping close to 12 inches of snow each.

The reason Raleigh does not see more snow is because of the mountains. When precip moves over them it dries up...killing our snow chances. The storm we have coming in tonight(sunday) could meet that same fait. Thats why snowfall amounts will be low. It's normally plenty cold enough for snow here...it's just the situation has to be right for several reasons.

Things we need to happen for snow in raleigh

1. Cold air in place...we most of the time have this

2. A high pressure over say...Illinois. It keeps the cold air pumping into the precip

3. The low pressure HAS to track south of here or up or just off the coast. This keeps us on the cold side of things because low pressure has a counter clockwise wind. If the low tracks just west of us..or over us, it gives us a warm southerly wind. Which erodes away the cold air.

We have had number 1 and 3 on that list this year on a number of occasions. But we have yet to get number 2

If we don't get number 2...it will usually start off as snow or ice(with little amounts) then change to rain quickly.

For the system we have coming through tonight..the 19th, we have the high pressure in place. But its not sticking there. It will move off to the east and bring more of a southerly wind. Thats why it should change to rain sometime around mid-day Monday. Even though we barely got above freezing with full sun on Sunday. The low is coming from the west so the mountains will weaken the system greatly. Leaving us in the triangle with light amounts. The gulf is shutoff so the system is moisture starved...along with the low dewpoints we have in place. I think the mountains and the coast(or just inland from the coast) have the best chances of seeing a couple inches of snow. It just looks to dry in Raleigh. Hope I am wrong though. We will see some though...I hope

Maybe we will get just enough to make the ground white...but it will be gone by monday evening. Then Monday night we could get some ice. Small amount though

it seems thick gulf storms with a high in Illinois/kentucky are the best snow-generators for us, as long as the jet-stream is south of us, we'll keep enough cold air for snow, and the storm will be directed just around the mountains to us.

We have gotten 4-5 inches from storms coming over the mountains though. This one is just about angled properly to pull it off, but I'll keep my optimism to a minimum and say 90% of it will dissolve, leading to about a 1 cm dusting of snow/ice.

it seems thick gulf storms with a high in Illinois/kentucky are the best snow-generators for us, as long as the jet-stream is south of us, we'll keep enough cold air for snow, and the storm will be directed just around the mountains to us.

We have gotten 4-5 inches from storms coming over the mountains though. This one is just about angled properly to pull it off, but I'll keep my optimism to a minimum and say 90% of it will dissolve, leading to about a 1 cm dusting of snow/ice.

Yeah, your right. Sometimes...but rarely..we get a good bit of snow coming over the mountains. One thing that looks promising for tonight is the fact the wind is now from the south. Maybe some atlantic moisture will get thrown in. This is why I think the coast will get more snow than us. But maybe if were lucky it will inhance the moisture over Raleigh as well. We will see!

Nuthin'

:angry:

:cry:

Looks like I was close to being right on the money with this one. Northeast NC did get the most snow. Atlantic moisture got fed into the system along the coastal counties. (from a weak low that formed off the SC coast)

We had a few flakes fall here in Raleigh around 2:30 am last night, thats it.

Problem with the storm is it moved out of Kentucky into southern Va and northern NC. Just clipped North Raleigh with some snow showers. The Atlantic moisture joined up with the storm from Wilson County north and east...oh well..but what I expected

Bit of a derail here, but I'm looking at places to hike in the Triangle. Every weekend, I try to find a new trail somewhere, and so far I've managed to use up all of Umstead and Eno River, along with Raven's Rock, Falls Lake, and Jordan Lake.

I know there are other things here. Occoneechee Mountain turned out to be a great little spot, but it doesn't have that many trails. I've seen similar 'monadnocks' from the road sometimes. There are a couple really prominent ones near Jordan Lake, and a few close to I-40 near Chapel Hill.

It seems we have a pretty good cluster of mini-mountains actually, with several spots in Orange county close to or above 800 ft in elevation. Do any of these have trails or natural areas set up, or are they basically unexplored?

So far, White Pines is the only spot internet searching has turned up.

Bit of a derail here, but I'm looking at places to hike in the Triangle. Every weekend, I try to find a new trail somewhere, and so far I've managed to use up all of Umstead and Eno River, along with Raven's Rock, Falls Lake, and Jordan Lake.

I know there are other things here. Occoneechee Mountain turned out to be a great little spot, but it doesn't have that many trails. I've seen similar 'monadnocks' from the road sometimes. There are a couple really prominent ones near Jordan Lake, and a few close to I-40 near Chapel Hill.

It seems we have a pretty good cluster of mini-mountains actually, with several spots in Orange county close to or above 800 ft in elevation. Do any of these have trails or natural areas set up, or are they basically unexplored?

There are two short but very pleasant trails along the Eno in Hillsborough; one is a mile loop at Ayr Mount, the other is the Historic Occoneechee Spedway trail on the other side of the river, off Elizabeth Brady Road. Neither will give you the hike of your life, but both are nice enough for a good change of scenery.

Have you picked up the book "60 Places to hike within 60 Miles: Raleigh"? Good book.

Is there any way we can get a master development list posted on the top of the forum?

I've seen lists posted in the past, but it is hard to find them.

I've been working on one, map and all, for about the past 6 months. Problem is, at my current job I've been too busy to sit down and dedicate the hours that it will take to finish it up. I don't like the format anymore, either, and I kind of want to modify it to match dubone's format he used for the rundowns on the Charlotte forum.

Information about Madonna's tour this summer has been leaked. Word is this tour will be performed in much smaller venues than previous tours of hers, and will likely kick off in L.A. in May. I dont recall her ever coming to the Raleigh area. How much of a chance, if any, do you who might care think the Raleigh area has of landing a sweet show like that?

Archived