Off topic postings

urbanvb

.... I don't wanna hear... I don't wanna know.... Please don't say you're sorry!!....

OMG! It would be great if Raleigh were able to land a Madonna concert. I highly doubt it would happen though. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I would be the FIRST in line. :w00t:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An interesting exchange about RDU in the CLT forum:

We need help in RDU with a big time attraction.....somethings coming...I can feel it.

RDU already has a big time attraction and that's its future as THE major technology hub of the South. As a patent attorney I see all of the high-risk capital that is thrown around up there and it is astonishing. It exceeds any other Southeastern city by a multiple of (conservatively) 10X. Keeps making me think I should move up there, but the lack of an urban core jumps into my mind each time I consider it.

ps--keep watching Raleigh EricSeven...I think it will definitely have a more urban feel before long

• 2 weeks later...

Very off topic, but which church in Raleigh has the most dynamic and interesting minister; where can I be pretty sure to hear an excellent sermon this Sunday? I am in town visiting with some others. Is White Memorial Presbyterian any good?

Thanks. (No flames, please, for bringing up religion.)

Very off topic, but which church in Raleigh has the most dynamic and interesting minister; where can I be pretty sure to hear an excellent sermon this Sunday? I am in town visiting with some others. Is White Memorial Presbyterian any good?

Thanks. (No flames, please, for bringing up religion.)

Not sure but I believe WMPC is more of a traditional service. I think it is on TV

• 4 months later...

I am going to visit my sister in Cary on Saturday and may have a little time Sunday to explore Raleigh for a short while. Perhaps some of you might suggest what DT areas might be good for me to check out. Also, any suggestions for lunch on Sunday (perhaps southern or american food) would be appreciated.

I am going to visit my sister in Cary on Saturday and may have a little time Sunday to explore Raleigh for a short while. Perhaps some of you might suggest what DT areas might be good for me to check out. Also, any suggestions for lunch on Sunday (perhaps southern or american food) would be appreciated.

Well, I guess it depends on what downtown you'd like to do. :shades:

Museums? We got History, Natural Science, and Exploris (world cultures) with an Imax theatre.

Also walking tours of historic Oakwood (the Victorian neighborhood) are available...as well as historic "Trolley" tours.

Several art gallaries are open throughout downtown...as well as different little shops/boutiques.

Other than that, and maybe the occasional show/musical at the Raleigh Memorial Auditorium, there's not much else for daytime on a Saturday unless there's a special street fair (none this month).

Raleigh's downtown's biggest strength is nighttime activities...tons of restaurants, bars, nightclubs, etc. I could go on and on about those....

And Sunday lunch? Or better yet, around here--Sunday Brunch! :D We got alot of that too (Irregardless Cafe and Porter's Tavern have the best ones IMO).

For the dining, shopping, and clubs/bars instead of listing dozens that I like I'll point you to two websites:

www.downtownraleigh.com (a for-profit advertising site) and

www.downtownraleigh.org (the website for the downtown alliance)

Both have great listings of things to do...the latter divides downtown into five "districts" which may make things easier to figure out geography-wise. There's sections on dining, shopping, dancing, arts, etc.

Hope you enjoy your visit!!!!! :yahoo:

Martin Street was closed but now reopened along w/ Lizzies, both cool.

Also, The Raleigh Times Bar on Hargett and Willmington street is one of

the best new spots downtown along with The Rivera across the street,

great food. You can never miss out on the local flavor of Humble Pie

for brunch (Harrington street) or anytime. Raleigh has it all just not

in one place...

• 4 weeks later...

I need to find a plumber to replace two water spikets at the foundation of my north Raleigh home. This isn't a big job but more than I want to deal with or be responsible for. Does anyone have a suggestive for a decent but reasonable plumber? I would be more than happy to have a plumber for one of the local companies who is "moonlighting".

Thanks, JB

• 1 month later...

I'm really pissed with the TTA now. I tried to catch a bus to RTP from Hillsborough street twice, and both times the bus just ignored me at the stop.

Next time I'm jumping into the street. Seems like that's the only way to get their attention. (this has happened before, numerous times)

I don't work for TTA, but have had similar problems, usually in RTP though.

Which stop were you at? Was it a TTA stop or a CAT stop?

On Hillsborough, the "major" stops are by Char Grill, St Marys, YMCA, Sadlacks, D.H. Hill, and Merideth College.

What route(s) were the buses that passed you? 105? 107?

If it was in the 600s, those are express buses going to Durham and Chapel Hill and only stop across from D.H. Hill library.

Some drivers don't recognize stops if there isn't a sign on that particular side of the street. That is wrong and stupid, but now I just expect that.

• 3 weeks later...

There are so many bus lines running on Hillsborough Street that you really have to stand up and wave down a bus if you're getting on. Otherwise the bus driver will assume you're waiting for a different route and zip right by you.

TTA buses (Express bus excluded) will stop at all CAT stops, but they don't stop at all Wolfline stops.

• 3 weeks later...

http://realestate.msn.com/improve/Article....59&GT1=8800

I ran across this article today which features a Raleigh based architect/author giving input on the advantages of living in a smaller home as opposed to a McMansion. This advantages include:

# Less use of materials. A smaller house doesn’t only use fewer natural resources, it requires fewer large furnishings to fill it.

# More comfortable. “Humans have a tendency to want to nest just like other animals, so big cavernous spaces just aren’t as intimate and comfortable as a room that’s scaled down to a person’s size,” says Kodis. In other words, Versailles may be impressive to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there. A lot of today’s 5,000-square-foot homes are designed to overwhelm, not welcome.

# More efficient. Smaller spaces are cheaper to heat, and take less time to clean.

# Addition of pleasant details. People often can’t afford to do much customizing to big houses -- there’s simply too much of them -- but in a small house you can redirect money to add delightful touches. Susanka, for example, added handsome (and costlier) cherry veneer on the door to her work studio, an extra touch she sees every day that makes her happy.

It's great to see a Raleigh resident having a prominent voice in this movement. :thumbsup:

I was noticed some snow flurries this morning around 8:30 at the intersection of Tryon Road and Kildaire Farm Rd in Cary. It was a traffic nightmare, cars started flying out of control, people slamming on breaks all the while a snowflake was falling every few seconds. I'm glad I made it out alive, I will always remember how I survived the blizzard of 2006.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
so how do i get in touch with whoever is in charge of the signs hanging around all the lamp and utility posts downtown? there are still raleigh wide open signs up and some of the hurricanes one have come loose and are just hanging down.

just a thought.

got an e-mail reply from the downtown raleigh alliance in regards to the banners, thought i would share it.

Thank you for your comments. Yes, we are in the process of inventorying all banners in downtown. We hope to have the inventory completed by this Thursday and then we will have all old and broken banners removed. This is all part of an effort to coordinate the banner program in downtown.

• 5 weeks later...
A rather distrubing article... Enloe HS students told to "shun" Muslims. I went to Enloe, and I actuall remember Robert Ecamillia, the teacher who invited this fellow to his class... really surprising that would be allowed... really unfortunate at this time and place in our history that we still have people essentially preaching hate and intolerance in schools.

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone,

This post is definitely far "off-topic" from urban development and planning and so I've tried to post this in the most "off-topic" location on the board.

We don't get personal on here often, but sometimes, amidst all the anonimity I think its okay to share something personal about ourselves.

If you've turned on the news this weekend, you've heard about the events going on at the RBC Center, the Harvest Crusade. We each have something that is particularly important in our lives, something we'd like to share with others, and mine is my faith. If you've ever wondered what pure, simple, honest Christianity is, then I'd encourage you to either go, or check out the webcast on www.harvest.org. If you have any questions message me.

One thing I've learned on this board is the value of respecting differing opinions and points-of-view. I enjoy taking the opportunity to learn about different people and cultures and I know many of you do the same. This event, which runs through Sunday night, is one of the largest events of faith to ever come to the Triangle with more than 16,000 people per night expected at the RBC Center. It's similar in many ways to the Billy Graham crusades we all know about.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekends. Thanks for the space to share this "off-topic" post.

Archived