Growth: Retirement Heaven is here!

cityboy05

• 10 months later...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading a report that stated the Florida/Georgia border will become quite urban in the next 20 years due to the retirees. I don't buy it for a second. I completely see retirees moving here in greater numbers but I don't see the change being that dramatic.

I remember reading a report that stated the Florida/Georgia border will become quite urban in the next 20 years due to the retirees. I don't buy it for a second. I completely see retirees moving here in greater numbers but I don't see the change being that dramatic.

I agree. I can see a lot of active retirement communities popping up, but I cant see S. Georgia/N. Florida becoming too urban.

I agree. I can see a lot of active retirement communities popping up, but I cant see S. Georgia/N. Florida becoming too urban.

Folks have been selling swampland in Florida for a long time. My granddaddy made a significant contribution to the family fortune by doing just that. I do my best to help balance the hype by keeping a good stock of alligator/shark/snake/mosquito attack stories in my back pocket to tell whenever someone I meet on the road asks me about life in Florida. I almost always follow up with a heat/humidity disclosure.

Doing my part to keep the population of Florida down, one retiree at a time.

You never saw the explosion that was South East Florida. My mother moved down there in the 70s and she tells stories on how Florida use to be (when I was a kid in the 90s). Even when I visit I see less green and more pink and yellow stucco.

You never saw the explosion that was South East Florida. My mother moved down there in the 70s and she tells stories on how Florida use to be (when I was a kid in the 90s). Even when I visit I see less green and more pink and yellow stucco.

South Florida is more progressive and pro-business/growth than Tallahassee.

The Villages = Golfing Paradise, even though there are some great courses in the Tallahassee area.

The Villages are scary! It's just so disconcerting to see their faux-Spanish villages, the decorated golf carts, etc...It's overtaking rural central FL counties one by one it seems. There is no charm or history behind it, just a spreading amoeba of tacky development in my humble opinion.

The Villages are scary! It's just so disconcerting to see their faux-Spanish villages, the decorated golf carts, etc...It's overtaking rural central FL counties one by one it seems. There is no charm or history behind it, just a spreading amoeba of tacky development in my humble opinion.

The Villages is where the Stepford Wives go to retire and die! :w00t:

FSU/FAMU/TCC will help fight any influence the retirees will have. I won't worry about them moving in until 4:30 early bird specials are the norm and polyester pants hiked up to your man nipples are more numerous than baggy ones. the chances of us turning into another "Dead Coast" (see Hernando/Citrus County) are small. (i hope)

Completely agree, but still, nice golf courses... :P

Amen! Hell on earth IS The Villages, so I better be good in this life so I won't go there!

I just got back from the Keys today and went through some of these villages right on the Florida Turnpike. My dad kept remarking as we drove through how each plot these monstrosities were on used to be nurserys for plants. Ugh. I used to think I only wanted Tallahassee to grow grow grow but seeing that as well as enduring an apparently meaningless half hour traffic jam makes me reconsider. I also have no wish for our skyline to become one giant condominium. We drove downtown and witnessed the construction of one Holys**t on Brickell and Son of a B***h on Biscayne after another. The endless pastels and balconies wear on my nerves though I have no fear Tallahassee will experience any of the aforementioned circumstances while I am alive.

I'll agree that I wouldn't want to see a homogenous looking downtown full of condos, but I would love a downtown that is vibrant and lively. Bringing people into the downtown is working for many cities and will work for us. Bring in as many retirees as you'd like Tallahassee, I don't discriminate!

New Mexico????? :huh:

LOL. No, it's NeverMind. Had a brain fart then made the edit.

As for Atlanta and Orlando, they are both places that are nice to visit just too sprawl-dacious to live in.

I am against retirees moving in for the fact the many Tallahasseeans drive to slow as it is. If we had freeways or expessways it would be one thing, but since we don't........

Amen brother. Of course, and I appologize to our colleagues on this board who live there, Southwood has always seemed a bit "Truman Show" to me.

Heavy growth isn't bad as long as it's done right, as in anti-Atlanta and anti-Orlando.

Just out of my own sweet ignorance, what are examples of good development for a geo of our size/latitude? I'd love to see Tallahassee look a bit like San Diego, for example, but we don't have the border to jack up the economy or the Navy to generate good restaurants and great bars. What are we? Columbia South Carolina? Huntsville Alabama? Valdosta?, Pine Bluff?

Who has a vision?

Worried about our water, GotS

Archived