Legacy Building in Fayetteville

Mith242

I do think that the Legacy Building and the Lofts at Underwood Plaza will certainly become the main 'eye catchers' for Dickson St. Granted there's still one possible mixed-use development that's in a holding parttern waiting to see how these others work out. I'm curious how that's going to turn out. I don't even think they've submitted any plans or designs yet.

Hey Mith... you can't just throw something out there and leave us hanging in suspense! :huh:

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Mith... you can't just throw something out there and leave us hanging in suspense! :huh:

Sorry I'm just going on what they've made public so far. I took some pics of the location I'll post it when I get the chance but it might not be till tomorrow. I get the impression they want to do some sort of mixed-use development but are waiting to see how things go with the Legacy Building Spring Street Lofts and the Lofts at Underwood Plaza. I get the impression they want to wait to see if there's going to be enough demand for more condos in the area before they do much designing or construction.

Sorry I'm just going on what they've made public so far. I took some pics of the location I'll post it when I get the chance but it might not be till tomorrow. I get the impression they want to do some sort of mixed-use development but are waiting to see how things go with the Legacy Building Spring Street Lofts and the Lofts at Underwood Plaza. I get the impression they want to wait to see if there's going to be enough demand for more condos in the area before they do much designing or construction.

That's cool. I guess we don't want to burn up all the future developments that will keep this Forum fresh if you know what I mean. :lol:

That's cool. I guess we don't want to burn up all the future developments that will keep this Forum fresh if you know what I mean. :lol:

Build it all now, build it all now! :lol: I can see where this developer is coming from. You don't want to be halfway through your mixed-use condo development when it suddenly looks like the market is flooded from all these other mixed-use condo developments that are being built in the area. But I do wish I could hear a little more news about it. I haven't even seen any mention of any designs yet. That and it just seem odd to have that area empty for a long extended time period. I'll see if I can find that topic and post a couple of pics I took yesterday.

Has anyone been by the site lately? I heard a little birdy say that the contractor left the project and work has not been progressing.

According to someone close to the project and without going into the gory details, there was indeed a stoppage of work. The differences have apparently been resolved and work started again last week. I have seen steel going up again the past several days and there is a crew there working this morning so it does appear to be moving again.

Yeah welcome to the forum OnDickson and thanks to you and dlewis for the info. I'm not down on Dickson all the time and was a bit busy with all the City Plan 2025 meetings. I did notice that work had progressed as much as I had hoped but I didn't know it had something to do with problems with the contractor. The Barber Group say they're holding firm to the date they set and are going to push the contractors to make sure it gets done. Noy sure if any of that figured into the problems.

Thanks for the welcome, guys. This forum is absolutely great. I stumbled across it a few weeks ago and have been lurking ever since. This is undoubtedly the best collection of NWA related delopment news and information that I have ever seen (not to mention those amazing pictures and other great information). Keep up the good work! Most of the information that I have relates to Dickson Street area developments and I'll chime in when I can. Obviously, Dickson Street is very near and dear to me!

Thanks for the welcome, guys. This forum is absolutely great. I stumbled across it a few weeks ago and have been lurking ever since. This is undoubtedly the best collection of NWA related delopment news and information that I have ever seen (not to mention those amazing pictures and other great information). Keep up the good work! Most of the information that I have relates to Dickson Street area developments and I'll chime in when I can. Obviously, Dickson Street is very near and dear to me!

Glad you found us and decided to join in on the conversations. I'm certainly looking forward to hearing some more info on the Dickson St developments. Aside from the Legacy Building and the Spring Street Lofts there doesn't seem much to be going on with the other Dickson St developments so far. Not sure if The Lofts at Underwood Plaza are waiting till spring or waiting for the Legacy Building to finish or what.

Glad you found us and decided to join in on the conversations. I'm certainly looking forward to hearing some more info on the Dickson St developments. Aside from the Legacy Building and the Spring Street Lofts there doesn't seem much to be going on with the other Dickson St developments so far. Not sure if The Lofts at Underwood Plaza are waiting till spring or waiting for the Legacy Building to finish or what.

They haven't even started the foundation work at the Underwood Plaza yet? When I drove by there last weekend I swear I thought I saw some dirt that was pushed around so to speak. Maybe I was seeing things (there was snow there after all).

They haven't even started the foundation work at the Underwood Plaza yet? When I drove by there last weekend I swear I thought I saw some dirt that was pushed around so to speak. Maybe I was seeing things (there was snow there after all).

They tore up the makeshift parking lot there and put in some gravel and that's the last thing I saw done and that happened a while back. Granted I haven't seen that area in a little while but if anything has happened it's been very recent.

A little blurb in the NWA Times this morning states that the Barber Group announced yesterday that Dallas-based Precept Builders will become construction manager for the Legacy Building project, replacing Flintco, Inc. It just states that 'developers encountered issues regarding the language of insurance policies with the former manager'

A little blurb in the NWA Times this morning states that the Barber Group announced yesterday that Dallas-based Precept Builders will become construction manager for the Legacy Building project, replacing Flintco, Inc. It just states that 'developers encountered issues regarding the language of insurance policies with the former manager'

Yeah I saw that too. It sounds like all the steel should be up this spring and people should be able to move in this fall. I though I heard a mention of trying to have it open in time for the football season or maybe it was homecoming.

Yes, we are glad to have you here.

I'm glad to see the Barber Group taking over this project, may'be it will get done a lot quicker. I hope this won't jeopardize their premier Fayetteville project though.

Here's some new pics. Sorry if the color is a bit off. At some point my fingers must have slipped and changed some settings on the camer'a menu. I didn't notice it until I had already taken quite a few and didn't feel like going all the way back. But anyway you'll get the general idea even if the color's a bit off.

img23796be.jpg

img23808nc.jpg

img23810lg.jpg

img23823jo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some new pics. Sorry if the color is a bit off. At some point my fingers must have slipped and changed some settings on the camer'a menu. I didn't notice it until I had already taken quite a few and didn't feel like going all the way back. But anyway you'll get the general idea even if the color's a bit off.

img23796be.jpg

img23808nc.jpg

img23810lg.jpg

img23823jo.jpg

Any news on this development?

I saw the building for the first time this past weekend. Its going to have a major impact on the Dickson Streetscape.

I've heard that this project is way over budget as well. I don't know yet whether some of the things I hear are malicious rumor-mongering, or true.

I have heard that in Dallas a lot of projects have been scaled back or put on hold because of the rising cost of building materials, to some degree thanks to Katrina.

This building will be a real litmus test for midrise mixed-use development in Fayetteville.

I hope they do well.

Any news on this development?

I saw the building for the first time this past weekend. Its going to have a major impact on the Dickson Streetscape.

I've heard that this project is way over budget as well. I don't know yet whether some of the things I hear are malicious rumor-mongering, or true.

I have heard that in Dallas a lot of projects have been scaled back or put on hold because of the rising cost of building materials, to some degree thanks to Katrina.

This building will be a real litmus test for midrise mixed-use development in Fayetteville.

I hope they do well.

The construction up here in Rogers is going strong so I'm not sure about a shortage of materials for these developments. The large-scale developments like The Shoppes at Pinnacle Hills is nearing completion. There is a giant multi-story steel structure in Bentonville that's just been sitting there for quite some time with no further work being done. It's on Moberly, but I'm not sure which development it is and whether it's lack of materials or they just ran out of money.

Just noticed this morning that another property ripe for development, right near the Legacy building has sold. It's the old brick warehouse type building at the corner of West and Watson (directly across Watson from Aligator Rays and the new legacy building). It is rather long and narrow, with the long side fronting Watson and the shorter side fronting West ave. (I haven't heard any details yet about parties involved or plans, etc)

I am curious to see how this property develops--the way I understand it, this property would be immediately adjacent to the proposed Dickson/West parking garage that is being talked about for the property immediately to the North and East that is currently owned by the UofA and UBC. I always assumed that the proposed parking structure would consume this warehouse property as well, but this sale would seem to indicate otherwise. Wow, property a stone's throw from Dickson, next to the new Legacy building and (eventually/potentially) a massive new parking structure at West and LaFayette.....I'm sure it fetched more than a few pennies per squar foot! :lol:

Just noticed this morning that another property ripe for development, right near the Legacy building has sold. It's the old brick warehouse type building at the corner of West and Watson (directly across Watson from Aligator Rays and the new legacy building). It is rather long and narrow, with the long side fronting Watson and the shorter side fronting West ave. (I haven't heard any details yet about parties involved or plans, etc)

I am curious to see how this property develops--the way I understand it, this property would be immediately adjacent to the proposed Dickson/West parking garage that is being talked about for the property immediately to the North and East that is currently owned by the UofA and UBC. I always assumed that the proposed parking structure would consume this warehouse property as well, but this sale would seem to indicate otherwise. Wow, property a stone's throw from Dickson, next to the new Legacy building and (eventually/potentially) a massive new parking structure at West and LaFayette.....I'm sure it fetched more than a few pennies per squar foot! :lol:

Thanks for the update OnDickson! :D I need to go by or look at some of my pics to see which building you're referring to. I haven't quite figured out which one you're talking about yet. I'm assuming you're not talking about the West Annex that the university owns. Although that would be a great location for a mixed-use development. But I doubt the university will hand it over very easily.

Is this the building you're referring to?

img2039ss7pt.jpg

If not I have taken some pics of other buildings in that area that I can post. I've considered that that area could get some more development in the future with the Legacy Building going up so a while back ago I took some pics of other buildings in that vicinity.

That's the one--it's right next to the West Annex. It's got a huge realty sign out front now with 'SOLD' on it. It will be interesting to hear/see how this property develops.

Yeah I saw the sold sign. After talking about it I decided to go out and look around. Thought a few update with pics on developments might be nice before I'm gone for vacation. I'll post some more pics in a bit.

Okay first I'll post a couple more pics of this new building that just sold near the Legacy Building then I'll post a few of what's going on there. Hopefully this will allow others to see some of the other things around. It's pretty easy to see the crane and steel from the Legacy Building in the background.

img2669ss5zz.jpg

img2670ss0qk.jpg

By the way any ideas if this plot of land also includes those small buildings behind the one facing West?

Archived