Yet ANOTHER Charlotte mention in WSJ

SmellyCat

It used to be that the only mention Charlotte ever got in the WSJ or NYT began "Charlotte, N.C.-based Wachovia...." or something of that ilk.

Today on p. B4 there is a snapshot entitled "Blueprint Charlotte, N.C.: Signs of Recovery Begin to Appear". Pretty much a short blurb about Charlotte's improving economy and job outlook and the rankings of the various property sectors compared to other cities. Also mentions the light rail, high rise resential towers and huge retail property pipeline. Has a rendering of Northlake Mall.

It's nice to finally get a little national press. :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It used to be that the only mention Charlotte ever got in the WSJ or NYT began "Charlotte, N.C.-based Wachovia...." or something of that ilk.

Today on p. B4 there is a snapshot entitled "Blueprint Charlotte, N.C.: Signs of Recovery Begin to Appear".  Pretty much a short blurb about Charlotte's improving economy and job outlook and the rankings of the various property sectors compared to other cities.  Also mentions the light rail, high rise resential towers and huge retail property pipeline.  Has a rendering of Northlake Mall.

It's nice to finally get a little national press.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the signs of recovery have been around for a while... haven't they?

It is slowly getting better though. I have noticed in movies Charlotte is mentioned as just Charlotte. For example, I watched "Guess Who" this last weekend and Charlotte was mentioned a couple of times w/out the NC association. Other movies are the same way.

But with certain National Cable news chanels like CNBC it waffles back and forth. However, I have noticed that news chanels like FOX and the Weather Channel almost never use the NC. I think within the next ten years the NC will fall off entirely. What do you guys think?

A2

heh, I guess so. I have seen a few articles that just said Charlotte and I was going to list them in the "Tiers of US Cities" thread in the section that said "World Class cities do not need their state name after them". but I never got around to it.

But anyways, the recognition is always good and will only grow.

An interesting article. It is surprisingly gracious to Charlotte given that it is a yankee newspaper. They usually tend to focus on the moonpies, nascar, and Johnboy & Billy.

I remember the Liquor by the Drink vote. Charlotte was the first city in NC to vote for it. Prior to that you had to take your own bottle of booze into a bar to get drunk. The Christian churches predicted the ground would open up and the entire city would be burned in the sulfer fires of hell if people voted in favor of the referendum. I guess that part never happened though this summer was a bit on the warm side. :o

Thats it my family and I are moving to Charlotte. I got goosebumps reading this. NC is on the map of coolness. I always wondered how were the resturants were. Also if there were open air cafes. My wife would really love Charlotte as she is from north jersey and says she wants to be in an urban environ when we settle down. Besides Vegas is too hot too expensive and too much LA influence.

heh, I guess so. I have seen a few articles that just said Charlotte and I was going to list them in the "Tiers of US Cities" thread in the section that said "World Class cities do not need their state name after them". but I never got around to it.

But anyways, the recognition is always good and will only grow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends what style they adhere to. For example AP Style has a list of Dateline cities that it has determined do not need states. Charlotte's not on it. When a city name appears within the body of the story, and its not the dateline of the story, you generally add the state, unless no confusion would result. I don't know who the person is that makes the decision that a city has risen to the level of not needing to be clarified; but it certainly is a milestone to shoot for. I think that was the basis for the CRVA's "Charlotte USA" campaign - trying to get the message out that Charlotte stands on its own as a major city.

AP Standalone Datelines: Atlanta Detroit Minneapolis Salt Lake City Baltimore Honolulu New Orleans San Antonio Boston Houston New York San Diego

Chicago Indianapolis Oklahoma City San Francisco Cincinnati Las Vegas Philadelphia Seattle Cleveland Los Angeles Phoenix Washington (note: D.C. is not used) Dallas Miami Pittsburgh Denver Milwaukee St. Louis

Also similar rules for foreign cities and territories and there's some exceptions for things that refer to a geographic location, instead of a specific city (e.g. using Hollywood instead of Los Angeles when the story is about the film industry). If you're really curious, you can find AP styles guides on the web. Television style generally follows print style. There are other styles, too. Next most popular, I think, is Chicago Style.

There was also this recent peice in the travel section of the Boston Globe which was pretty flattering.

Banking and Culture Are Hot...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great article, indeed Appatone. I read each line as though as was right beside the person who was writing it, going along with him on his journey from Bar to bar and restraunt to restraunt. I think this says a lot of the misconceptions that people outside the South have about CLT, and then how shocked they are when they find how progressive and cosmopolitan CLT has become. I think the influx of people moving from Boston, NYC, and the entire NE region will continue and only import more life and culture to the city we call Charlotte. I think that Banking and Finance is our lure, but our atmosphere and amentities will be our trap. Anytime I speak to a newcomer, they are blown away at what Charlotte has to offer with respect to Cost of Living, Restraunts, Arts, Mountains and Beaches close by, etc etc. This is truly a GREAT place to live, and I am extremly glad to be a part of its growth and success. Things are only going to get better my friends. B)

Thanks again, appatone !

:thumbsup:

A2

• 1 month later...

It is slowly getting better though. I have noticed in movies Charlotte is mentioned as just Charlotte. For example, I watched "Guess Who" this last weekend and Charlotte was mentioned a couple of times w/out the NC association. Other movies are the same way.

But with certain National Cable news chanels like CNBC it waffles back and forth. However, I have noticed that news chanels like FOX and the Weather Channel almost never use the NC. I think within the next ten years the NC will fall off entirely. What do you guys think?

A2

I think the "NC" is starting to wane. I live in New England and we know all-to-well where Charlotte is!

Archived