Explain Watering Hole to Woz

woz

Call me an old-fashioned forum user, but I just don't get this Watering Hole concept. It is not very user friendly, at least not for the user who doesn't want to spend more than a few minutes a day on this site. When folks used to start threads about new topics around here, I could easily ignore the ones that didn't interest me and read through the ones that did. Why can't 43 Pub be its own thread? Why can't favorite restaurants be its own thread? If someone has an answer, please respond here.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me an old-fashioned forum user, but I just don't get this Watering Hole concept. It is not very user friendly, at least not for the user who doesn't want to spend more than a few minutes a day on this site. When folks used to start threads about new topics around here, I could easily ignore the ones that didn't interest me and read through the ones that did. Why can't 43 Pub be its own thread? Why can't favorite restaurants be its own thread? If someone has an answer, please respond here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well since I started the thread, here's my take on it. Many of the other cities/regions on UP have Coffee House threads for just general discussion, joking, blah, blah, blah... I thought that we could use a dump-all for those things that maybe didn't warrant their own topic, but I liked "Watering Hole" better. Sometimes something of great interest pops up in the Watering Hole (just like sometimes the biggest business deals happen over a beer), but if you aren't a regular there, you might miss some of those.

I can have Allan nix it if you guys don't like it. I am only a pawn on the great chess board.... ;)

I would say keep it, there is some good activity on it and most people here seem to enjoy it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks hood, I agree. Some people like order, and some people like chaos. Watering Hole is more for the "right-brained" people, while Topic/Discussion is usually more "left-brained" (if you buy into the whole brain hemisphere thing ;) ) If you don't want to miss anything, you'll have to be here every minute of every day of every week of every month....

Thanks hood, I agree.  Some people like order, and some people like chaos.  Watering Hole is more for the "right-brained" people, while Topic/Discussion is usually more "left-brained" (if you buy into the whole brain hemisphere thing  ;) )  If you don't want to miss anything, you'll have to be here every minute of every day of every week of every month....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see both sides, because I can see the "watering hole" thread getting really long, and sometimes we end up talking about stuff that should have its own thread. But at the same time, I think it will keep us more "on topic" other places in the forum, so we don't end up talking about North Monroe in a thread that deals with something totally unrelated. I say keep it

I was not suggest that the Watering Hole get dropped. I can see the value in it, especially if its used as GRDad intended. I guess what I'm saying is that some of the topics currently being discussed there merit their own threads.

When (if ever) does a topic break out of the Watering Hole and into a thread of its own? I wouldn't want to impose a threshold (say, 8 or 10 consecutive on-topic posts), either. Is it up to the person who originated the Watering Hole discussion?

Guess I'll just have to belly up to the bar at the Watering Hole more often ...

;)

I was not suggest that the Watering Hole get dropped. I can see the value in it, especially if its used as GRDad intended. I guess what I'm saying is that some of the topics currently being discussed there merit their own threads.

When (if ever) does a topic break out of the Watering Hole and into a thread of its own? I wouldn't want to impose a threshold (say, 8 or 10 consecutive on-topic posts), either. Is it up to the person who originated the Watering Hole discussion?

Guess I'll just have to belly up to the bar at the Watering Hole more often ...

;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was thinking about that too. I guess there's no way to tell if a topic in the watering hole will get one response or 50. Is it possible to move posts to their own topic after there get to be a bunch of them? That might be a good idea if it is do-able.

I was thinking about that too.  I guess there's no way to tell if a topic in the watering hole will get one response or 50.  Is it possible to move posts to their own topic after there get to be a bunch of them?  That might be a good idea if it is do-able.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I say if it feels good, do it! It's a living forum, not set in stone ;)

Archived