43 S Division

GRDadof3

Just for you woz ;) Anyone heard anything about this place at 43 S. Division. It's mingled in with a bunch of buildings undergoing renovation (not Avenue of the Arts) on the West side of the street just before the roadblock. Saw a coming soon sign (will post a pic tomorrow). I want to say it used to be Pat's Place?????

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for you woz  ;)  Anyone heard anything about this place at 43 S. Division.  It's mingled in with a bunch of buildings undergoing renovation (not Avenue of the Arts) on the West side of the street just before the roadblock.  Saw a coming soon sign (will post a pic tomorrow).  I want to say it used to be Pat's Place?????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you are talking about the old Alma Latina....?

The Alma Latina building was to have been turned into an Indian restaurant and nightclub by Andy Chawla. He was making a lot of progress before running into issues with his contractor.

After that, he sold the building and parking lot next door to Second Story. Second Story recently completed a sale to a new group of investors planning a bar. The parking lot is still controlled by Second Story and has been mentioned as a possible site for a parking ramp, depending on a lot of factors.

Not a bad idea since it wouldn't take the place of an existing building and there is a potential for a parking crunch in the area once it's fully redeveloped.

The parking lot is still controlled by Second Story and has been mentioned as a possible site for a parking ramp, depending on a lot of factors.

Not a bad idea since it wouldn't take the place of an existing building and there is a potential for a parking crunch in the area once it's fully redeveloped.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully the ground floor will have retail space on it. It would be nice to have a continuous street wall, without breaks in it for empty lots.

^^I hope they add some more windows to the first floor

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. The buildings to the left, which was Alma Latina, are undergoing some remodeling, so I hope they re-do this whole section.

BF5A3F70FACE11D9B5D0CE9118F73B1D.jpg

The one to the right (not in the pictures), though, I don't know how that one can be structurally sound?

I think the snowball in this area has become an avalanche.

The one to the right (not in the pictures), though, I don't know how that one can be structurally sound?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that thing has a serious lean. I wonder if it's the walls that are warping or shifting in the foundation...

Anyway, I'm glad the giant red "thing" Alma Latina had up there is gone. The brick still looks to be in nice shape.

If it's the building I'm thinking of, the one that looks like it's tilting over, I've thought the same thing. I've always wondered if that building has never been renovated because it's not stucturally sound and/or it has/had dilapitated buildings right next to it.

I bet since division is getting such a make over, except more night clubs in the area. Divsion & Fulton will look totally different a year from now, don't be surprised it the building that Dodd's Record Shop and the rundown grocery store is renovated into a night club. That building has always been an eyesore.

If it's the building I'm thinking of, the one that looks like it's tilting over, I've thought the same thing. I've always wondered if that building has never been renovated because it's not stucturally sound and/or it has/had dilapitated buildings right next to it.

I bet since division is getting such a make over, except more night clubs in the area. Divsion & Fulton will look totally different a year from now, don't be surprised it the building that Dodd's Record Shop and the rundown grocery store is renovated into a night club. That building has always been an eyesore.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm afraid to take a picture of it for fear it might fall over right before me :P No, I'll get a shot next time I am in that area.

• 8 months later...

Those two buildings are leaning SOO bad. Perhaps someone can give us the details as to whether or not this is fixable, what caused it, does it HAVE to be fixed or can the new owners live with it? The sidewalk and everything follows the huge dip.

Perhaps someone like Nitro or Civitas can share some knowledge.

The one on the corner leans like crazy. Off topic (kind of) but has anyone ever seen the house in heritage hill that looks like it is sinking in the middle? I think it is on Lafayette SE (could be wrong) but I was told it has had that sinking look for 90 years. They even adjusted the floors to compensate for the sinking.

I'll try to get a pic.

Joe

They don't look all that skewed from directly across the street.

The one on the corner leans like crazy. Off topic (kind of) but has anyone ever seen the house in heritage hill that looks like it is sinking in the middle? I think it is on Lafayette SE (could be wrong) but I was told it has had that sinking look for 90 years. They even adjusted the floors to compensate for the sinking.

I'll try to get a pic.

Joe

There's one on prospect that looks like it's about to fall over.

I know of a house here in Wayland that has (or had) a similar sinking look. I don't have a digital camera, but I'll see if I can borrow one and and try to find it. It's really scary, knowing that somebody's still (or was a year ago) living in a building where the middle of the roof is a good half foot lower than the edges

It's a gay club. I haven't been there yet, but I know it's a gay bar. A friend of mine has been there.

Sooo, does that mean 75% of the clientele are gay? 85%? I was wondering where the cut-off was to earn that designation. :rolleyes:

This is from the GR Press review of the bar:

Though the bar attracts a primarily gay clientele, the crowd is as varied as its drink selection. The transformation of Division Avenue into a hopping artist community and Pub 43's proximity to Division Avenue Arts Cooperative and other galleries make it a haven for hip, young artists and musicians from all walks of life.

Sooo, does that mean 75% of the clientele are gay? 85%? I was wondering where the cut-off was to earn that designation. :rolleyes:

I just mean that gay people go there. Just like I call Diversions a gay bar and Rumors the same. It's a place where gay people like to go. That's all. It's like, "do we go to the gay bar tonight, or do we go to the straight bar?" I think we'll go to the straight bar. And we go to Taps or Mulligans or someplace like that.

Completely innocent.

Those two buildings are leaning SOO bad. Perhaps someone can give us the details as to whether or not this is fixable, what caused it, does it HAVE to be fixed or can the new owners live with it? The sidewalk and everything follows the huge dip.

Perhaps someone like Nitro or Civitas can share some knowledge.

from what I have heard prior is that the two buildings share a common center supporting wall that is no longer so supportive. it would be a fairly expensive fix but probable since they are historic, unless of course they get "accidentally" knocked down? Also, they City could, if they had the gumption, get the Historic Preservation Commission and the City Attorney to pursue the building owners for "demolition by neglect" which would allow the city to intervene, fix the problem and place a lien on the property for the cost of repairs.

what makes something a gay bar? you'll have to ask my friend miss ginger the wonder queen! She goes to Rumors, she has also been to pub43, If miss Ginger goes, it gives it the title "gay" bar. So when she was at Tapps, Tapps was a "gay " bar. :P

"Though the bar attracts a primarily gay clientele, the crowd is as varied as its drink selection. The transformation of Division Avenue into a hopping artist community and Pub 43's proximity to Division Avenue Arts Cooperative and other galleries make it a haven for hip, young artists and musicians from all walks of life."

I keep hearing about places for young artists and musicians... and it makes me wonder if any of these said places would welcome a type of music this city rarely sees: a trance dj? ^^

Archived