New Haven, CT

ctman987

Pictures of New Haven, CT

Population: 123,626

Discuss!!

From the New Haven green (Tallest building in the pictures is the CT FInancial Center at 383 feet with 26 stories which is New Havens tallest building)

IMG_0710.jpg

Alongside the New Haven green (Tallest building in the pictures is the CT FInancial Center at 383 feet with 26 stories which is New Havens tallest building)

IMG_0699.jpg

Chapel Square Mall and Office Tower/ Omni Hotel

IMG_0703.jpg

Yale University

IMG_0715.jpg

Yale University

IMG_0716.jpg

Yale University

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

These are pictures from New Britan, CT (10 minutes southwest of Hartford)

Population: 71, 538

Home to Central Connecticut State University (About 11,400 students)

Main Street

IMG_0440.jpg

Main Street

IMG_0441.jpg

New Days Inn hotel on Main Street

IMG_0437.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in New Britain for years. While I still think it's a sh*thole, it does have some really charming areas. If around the Hartford/New Britain area, check out the Museum of American Art, really, really good museum, located right next to Walnut Hill park, which is an awesome park. Also, with all due respect to Woody's and the Ranch House in Hartford, Capitol Lunch has the best hotdogs, ever.

Is New Haven similar to Hartford at all?  It looks smaller, but populations are roughly the same.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is in some ways similar to Hartford as CT is IMO opinion a fairly cohesive state. Hartford and New Haven are the same media market and therefore our news is their news and vice versa. New Haven is only 35-40 mins away from Hartford, less on a good day. New Haven is a college town whereas Hartford is a national hub for business. The neighborhoods are somewhat similar but distinctly different in terms of architechure and streetscapes. Our metro areas significantly overlap and I feel we should be considered 1 Metro also including Springfield, MA. Hartford is more Metropolitan having a metro population of 1.2 million while New Haven's metro is around 900,000. Springfield, MA is around 600,000. All 3 cities are linked via I 91 and there are plans that I hope get off of the ground to build a commuter rail line connecting all 3 cities to one another and to Hartford's Bradley Int'l Airport.

• 3 months later...

i live near new haven. The city is okay. It has a rich history with plenty of places to see. It lacks a dense skyline with some bland highrise buildings. Many ppl assume that hartford has the highest population because of its dense skyline, but in reality, bridgeport has the highest population. Hartford has more of a city feeling. new haven is a college town. but it is worth a visit.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from a tour of the CT cities....I was in Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport hopping around all weekend. I was very impressed with N.H. There's a great mix of people, retail, and nightlife. I drove through some of the neighborhoods, some poor and some nicer. I really liked the easy transportation options to NYC, the port access, and the housing stock. The poorer areas seemed more "alive" an didn't feel as sketchy as the other cities mentioned. Hartford has a very nice skyline, but I felt very isolated in the seas of surface parking surrounded by office towers. The streets were too wide and not very intimate. They were pretty devoid of people. In the neighborhoods, I encountered the same vibe. I didn't find a good mix of people or housing stock. There were some great commercial/residential storefronts on Farmington, but some really bad townhouses on Wethesfield close to downtown....looked like something out of Phoenix. Hartford has some really great projects going on downtown, but I didn't see the spillover effect in the neighborhoods. The most "alive" spot in town seemed to be Park St ( ? ..very Hispanic). However, as much as I wanted arroz con pollo, I wasn't going to get out and walk by the drug pushers to get there. Hatford didn't wow me. Bridgeport was even less. It looked like a natural disaster hit it....IMO...There was some wonderful signage on some buildings in downtown B'port indicating which ones were slated for re-development. ( very similar to Boston )

New Haven was very cool and I had a great time. It's on my list as favorite NE city ( 100-200 K ) and think it should be counted in that other poll.

Archived