Gas Prices

NCB

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that before.  Ok, so it's not the lowest but it's near the botton rankings.  I heard Iceland is now up to $9.00 a gallon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That might be because of population and their location. Transportation of the crude oil might be why its so expensive and they don't get it in bulk either.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many oil-producing countries heavily subsidize the gasoline produced for local consumption.

An exception: for a major oil producer like Mexico, gasoline is outrageously high there (relatively speaking)... That probably has more to do with inefficiencies and misspending at the state-owned oil company, PEMEX.

Around $2.55 here in Nashville.

And I'm very sorry Ronald. That can't be fun. Does anyone the Netherlands drive SUVs? Post gas prices in other European countries if you can. It would be interesting to know just how nice we have it over here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are some SUV's here, but most people drive sedans, station wagons and compact cars.

Here are the prices in some other european counties (price per gallon):

Sweden $5.74

Italy $5.70

Norway $5.61

United Kingdom $5.60

France $5.43

Germany $5.21

Belgium $5.20

Denmark $5.10

Portugal $5.02

Luxembourg $4.79

Ireland $4.71

Switzerland $4.32

As you can see, Holland tops the list with $ 6.21 for 1 gallon of regular gas.

There are some SUV's here, but most people drive sedans, station wagons and compact cars.

Here are the prices in some other european counties (price per gallon):

Sweden $5.74

Italy $5.70

Norway $5.61

United Kingdom $5.60

France $5.43

Germany $5.21

Belgium $5.20

Denmark $5.10

Portugal $5.02

Luxembourg $4.79

Ireland $4.71

Switzerland $4.32

As you can see, Holland tops the list with $ 6.21 for 1 gallon of regular gas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A certain amount of this has to be due to currency exchange rates, though. It costs the equivalent of about $4 to ride the Tube in London, for example. In real terms European gas is certainly more expensive than ours but not to the extent that these dollar prices would suggest.

No, those are accurate.  America has always been so much cheaper in gas pricing than Europe.  It's no exxageration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not saying they're inaccurate, I'm saying that a dollar buys more of anything here than it does in, for example, the U.K. The exchange rate is nearly two dollars to the pound, yet the prices for many consumer items there are not halved. Walking by a Burger King, you can see items advertised on the "99 pence" value menu that you could get for 99 cents here, meaning they effectively cost twice as much to an American there. These are the prices, however, that Londoners are accustomed to paying for things.

Again, certainly gas is a bigger relative drain on people's finances there than it is here. All I'm saying is, it's not proportionally the equivalent of if gas cost $5-something in the U.S. It may cost five and a half dollars to the gallon in England but, again, that subway ride that costs $2 max in the states will set you back $4 there, so it's all relative.

I'm not saying they're inaccurate, I'm saying that a dollar buys more of anything here than it does in, for example, the U.K. The exchange rate is nearly two dollars to the pound, yet the prices for many consumer items there are not halved. Walking by a Burger King, you can see items advertised on the "99 pence" value menu that you could get for 99 cents here, meaning they effectively cost twice as much to an American there. These are the prices, however, that Londoners are accustomed to paying for things.

Again, certainly gas is a bigger relative drain on people's finances there than it is here. All I'm saying is, it's not proportionally the equivalent of if gas cost $5-something in the U.S. It may cost five and a half dollars to the gallon in England but, again, that subway ride that costs $2 max in the states will set you back $4 there, so it's all relative.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having been to America myself, I can say that part of this is true.

When I went to the US, I experienced that things were much cheaper. The Euro and the Dollar are allmost equal. Goods in the US are just relatively cheap. A levi pair of jeans cost me 40$ in the US, where it would cost at least 100$ right here in Holland. A diner at a mexican restaurant cost me $ 48 for 4 persons, where in Holland you would almost certainly pay $ 48 for two or sometimes even 1 person.

But I think this all can be explained by salary: Europeans earn more money, therefore they pay more for goods in their own continent. Americans earn relatively few money, so they pay less for goods in the US. It's all about howmuch you earn.

And, totally besides this: Europeans may earn more than Americans because prices are higher here, they certainly don't work as hard as Americans do.

AAA says Huntsville regular gas prices are at $2.51, and the lowest I've seen is $2.40, the highest at $2.57.

I was just watching the news, and the "experts" were predicting a 20-30 cent increase in oil prices after the hurricane moves through. The price per barrel could hit $70 tomorrow.

I was just watching the news, and the "experts" were predicting a 20-30 cent increase in oil prices after the hurricane moves through. The price per barrel could hit $70 tomorrow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's because so many of our off-shore oil wells will be sjhut down for a few days, thus cutting off a good percentage of the oil we usually receive from them.

It's all about howmuch you earn.

And, totally besides this: Europeans may earn more than Americans because prices are higher here, they certainly don't work as hard as Americans do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is actually not true. In real terms the USA has higher salaries and purchasing power any country in Europe except for Norway and Luxenburg. (many of the US States exceed those countries by wide margin) And excepting the UK, there is much higher unemployment in Europe as well because companies are shifting work out of Europe since, as you mention, Europeans are not very productive.

Cost are high in Europe due to low productivity, excessive regulation, and lack of innovation in Europe as compared to the USA.

Gas is up to around $3.30 around here now. I passed by one gas station on the way to the store that was charging $3.90. Some gas stations are running low on gas, and are being forced to raise their prices so that they don't run out. Rumor has it that they will be announcing plans to ration gas in Oakland County on Friday, although I am a bit skeptical of that.

That is actually not true.  In real terms the USA has higher salaries and purchasing power any country in Europe except for Norway and Luxenburg. (many of the US States exceed those countries by wide margin)    And excepting the UK, there is much higher unemployment in Europe as well because companies are shifting work out of Europe since, as you mention, Europeans are not very productive. 

Cost are high in Europe due to low productivity, excessive regulation, and lack of innovation in Europe as compared to the USA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The unemployment rate "appears" higher in Europe because they count everyone out of work whereas in teh U.S, we only count those actively searching for a job. Sometimes people quit looking because they can't find a job and they are dropped from the unemployment rate.

Also, the purchasing power in the U.S is much higher than in Europe, because the Europeans have nationalized pensions and healthcare and in some counries don't pay for University.

Thus, the people of Europe are more educated, have more secure retirements, and have better health care (and thus higher life expectancies).

Gas prices:

Have risen from $2.51/gallon on Sunday to $3.15 today and will likely reach $3.50 and possibly $4.00/gallon in some areas by next week.

This is clearly caused by Katrina. The city of New Orleans has largely been destroyed because monies were taken from dyke strengthening projects and funneled into Iraq.

It's $3.19 in Lansing. One (only one) station in Atlanta was charging $5.87 per gallon!!! Could this be sign of things to come?

Anyone see that FX movie "Oil Storm," the scenario is exactly the same as whats happening now: a devastating hurricane hits near New Orleans, shuts down refienries, closes shipping lanes. Coupled with other "chain reaction" type disasters gas reaches $8 per gallon in the movie, I thought it was sort of dumb and unrealistic. But now, if just one more bad thing happens to affect the gasoline supply, maybe we could be that unlucky.

Archived