• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Uptown Street with Most Urban Potential

In 10 years which street will be the most urban in downtown Charlotte?   27 members have voted

1. 1. In 10 years which street will be the most urban in downtown Charlotte?

• North Tryon
    • South Tryon
    • West Trade
    • East Trade
    • Other (why?)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

Given all of the announcements, proposals, and actual construction, which of the 4 streets will be the most urban in 2015? Please explain your choice.

"urban potential" is a bit of a grey area, as there are a number of different interpretations... obviously Tryon St is already what most people consider urban...

I went with W Trade because, obviously, it has the most potential for a mixture of uses, building types, people types, and will likely see the most changes in the next 10 years (over E Tr, N Tr, and S Tr). It has old/historic buildings (Courthouse, Polk, 1st Presby, Old Primitive Baptist, and the storefronts between pine and graham). It has many different uses (Govt, Church, residential highrise, residential mid/lowrise, transit, office highrise, office mid/lowrise, university, hotel, and retail ....).

It will also have major transit operations that will bring diversity of people (in addition to the students and bankers already on west trade), as the Gateway Station will likely be the entry point for Gaston, Iredell, N Meck, SEHSR (Atlanta, Greenville/Spartanburg, Greensboro, Raleigh, Richmond, DC), and Beatties Ford, Freedom, 4th Ward, 3rd Ward, Wilkinson/Airport, and Trade Street transit lines).... That is a serious number of connections, and the multiplier effect of all those people will likely support many urban developments in W Trade.

South Tryon b/c of one word.... M U S E U M.

(nascar, betchler, mint)

west tryon is going to be dense too.....park and trans center.....clt is gonna be quite dense for a southern city!

I say College, it reminds me of one of the Avenues in NYC... and only getting better.

I have to say college as well. With all of the clubs already in place and the addition of the Ritz I have a feeling national retailers may eye college. My ultimate hope is that all of uptown continue to see an increase in people. The retail will naturally follow.

I went with West Trade. I think that all of the major streets that lead into town have value. When the other areas get saturated, people may look more toward West Trade. It's already picking up now. I think the main thing thats slowing it now is perception.

W Trade.. and I think that with comparing East and West trade, W Trade is essentially a lot longer, because it goes to Belhaven/Brookshire whereas East Trade just turns into Elizabeth near 277