BOA considering moving Florida HQ to Tampa?

bobliocatt

Rumors are flying that a Fortune 100 firm is considering locating a 500,000sf office campus, employing up to 5,000 workers to Tampa's $137 million planned Central Park Village. The company, rumored to be Bank of America, which currently has its Florida HQ in downtown Jacksonville, is also considering sites in Orlando, Miami & Jacksonville.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/886486...t+Tampa+project

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rumors are flying that a Fortune 100 firm is considering locating a 500,000sf office campus, employing up to 5,000 workers to Tampa's $137 million planned Central Park Village.  The company, rumored to be Bank of America, which currently has its Florida HQ in downtown Jacksonville, is also considering sites in Orlando, Miami & Jacksonville.

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes/886486...t+Tampa+project

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bring It!

g

I propose building the 500,000 sq ft campus near or next to Midtown Miami...

Yes I know its not one of those spead out tree-filled, retiention pond dotted vast open park land areas, but it would be nice to see a reverse trend in suburban business development, and see more URBAN development. I call it suburban outsourcing.

Of course, I have mixed emotions being I've spent most of my life in the Central Florida region and Tampa is one of my favorite cities. However, I reside in Jax now, where the current BOA office is the tallest building in Florida, outside of Miami. So if its true, I'd expect Jax to come out in full force (like they're currently doing with the Cecil/Oceana BRAC issue) to do whatever it takes to keep these white collar jobs in town.

If this IS true, and BofA is considering relocating their regional HQ, I'd just be curious as to the reasons why?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to move thousands of employees from another city to Tampa, does it? :huh: Here is the discussion included in the Central Park Proposal, Overall Plan Approach to the Revitalization, p. 30

The Central Park Group has been approached by a large Fortune 100 Corporation who is looking to consolidate a substantial amount of its local office space into a new 700,000 -- 1,000,000 square foot facility. This facility would inititially house 2,500 employees and eventually expand to 4,000 (plus) employees. If our team is selected to develop Central Park in partnership with THA and the City of Tampa, we believe that we would be able to attract this regional corporate center to Tampa and to Central Park in particular. The subject corporation has been extremely impressed with the mixed use components of City View and would like to replicate its success on a much larger scale. Unfortunately, due to confidentiality considerations and ongoing negotiations, we are not able to divulge specific details at this point in time. Should we be successful in this endeavor, the result will be a significant coup for the City representing new employment opportunities as well as an economic development engine for the neighborhood.

City View is described as a successful mixed income community in Orlando developed by Bank of America Community Development Corporation (one of the partners in the Central Park Group).

I read two different things in this statement -- one refers to consolidating "local office space" meaning maybe Hillsborough County or Tampa Bay region, the other refers to a "regional corporate center." Maybe someone who knows more about Bank of America can interpret what these statements could mean. But I don't think the Jacksonville people have to worry about BAC emptying out a major downtown office building there and moving all the workers to Tampa :cry:

• 4 weeks later...

Actually NationsBank had its headquarters here in Tampa and when they merged with Barnett, they were already in a lease agreement with the current tower in Jacksonville, plus the fact the new people in charge preferred Jacksonville at that time because they lived there already. New renderings of Central Park Village even show the Bank of America logo on a large corporate building/campus. I'm sure with the larger workforce here they would prefer it...they are having a hard time filling positions in Jacksonville. Nothing against Jackonsville, it still has a lot of way to catch up with Miami and Tampa, even Orlando.

Archived