Lighthouse Project Updates

ModSquad

Just a quick update on a couple of Lighthouse projects that have been mentioned previously on UP.

The Avenue Apartments has been fully funded. We will hopefully break ground in mid to late October. This is located on the corner of Madison and Gilbert where 5/3rd Bank used to be. It was designed by Isaac V. Norris and Associates, the same designer for the townhome project on Madison and Hall.

Uptown Village, on the corner of Wealthy and Diamond has not been funded yet, but we are about 99% sure it will go through in January. We are moving forward for a March ground breaking.

La Casa De York, located at 1600 S Division gets submitted to the State this September and funding is a little more speculative on this project. If it is funded we will also shoot to start construction in March.

Needless to say it will be a BUSY year for Lighthouse.

PS Here is an interesting fact about the Town home project on Madison and Hall. There are 2 units left to be rented. So far all of the 10 new families moved from Kentwood and have relocated back to the City. Many moved from large scale suburban apartment complexes.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

whoops, I thought that Dave's post was recent, I didn't realize it was from August. my bad!

OK, I'll update so you do not feel bad. :)

We have closed on the Uptown Village properties. There appears to be some site plan changes on the horizon due to som issues with the steep grade at the site. If everything goes as planned, we should be able to take down the buildings and start construction some time this spring.

We begin The Avenue Apartments sometime in early December.

Waiting on our tax credit application for La Casa. And perhaps you may have seen the recent GR Press about Huff School....can't say too much about that one.

Yep, I linked the article in post #3, Dave ;) I wonder how many other opportunities may come out of discontinuing use of some of the schools. Although not a good thing to see schools close, maybe a silver lining? Projects like Union Square are pretty cool! I hear that Iroqouis might be closed? That's a great looking building in a nice area.

Yep, I linked the article in post #3, Dave ;) I wonder how many other opportunities may come out of discontinuing use of some of the schools. Although not a good thing to see schools close, maybe a silver lining? Projects like Union Square are pretty cool! I hear that Iroqouis might be closed? That's a great looking building in a nice area.

Iroqouis?! :shok: That would be huge, but I doubt it since its the only Jr. High in the area. But imagine the mixed-use project that could fit onto all that land if it did happen? Not that I would like to see my former middle school expire. :whistling: On second thought......

Iroqouis?! :shok: That would be huge, but I doubt it since its the only Jr. High in the area. But imagine the mixed-use project that could fit onto all that land if it did happen? Not that I would like to see my former middle school expire. :whistling: On second thought......

Actually Iroqouis ceased being a large middle school this year. Currently the Ottawa Montessori elementary school operates there and the Madison Middle School it temporarily operating there until their new school is built on the corner of Madison and Hall.

The School Board received a set of recommendations concerning building changes and closure two weeks ago from administration. One of the recommendations was that with Madison Middle moving out, and the fact that it would take over $20,000,000 to renovate this building it would make sense to move the Montessori to Northeast and sell the Iroqouis. Of course the market value of Iroqouis for potential residential development compared to $20,000,000 to renovate adds to the decision.

Found an article featuring a proposed project by our very own lighthousedave, to put condominium housing at the vacant Huff School site (near Ball & Knapp):

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...2860.xml&coll=6

Lighthouse is competing against a proposed charter school.

Sorry Dave. I meant post #3 on this thread earlier today. Here is my quote from earlier^^^^^ Hope that clears it up.

Iroqouis would be huge! I love the American Indian/Southwest detailing on that building. I would hope someone would try to save much of the building if it were re-developed. With that and the Metro Hospital site, there might be some great projects coming to that area.

Just got my first NIMBY letter. The Press reporter on the Huff story mistakely states that we would be including low-income housnig on this project. In fact it is, as was posted earlier here by GR Dad, a market rate town home condo project.

My NIMBY letter, written by the way from someone at Cornerstone University, implores the board to choose the condo project and not the low-income housing project.

What about the scripture passage that talks about "loving your neighbor as yourself!" or "whatever you have done for the least of these you have done it unto me"...?...Nice <_<

My NIMBY letter, written by the way from someone at Cornerstone University, implores the board to choose the condo project and not the low-income housing project.

:huh:

It never ceases to amaze me the level of misunderstanding (ignorance) that goes on around development issues. And how is someone at Cornerstone affected by this?

I assume they live in the neighborhood. I just received another NIMBY call from a neighbor. She told me that this was horrifying news that we would move low income housing in their neighborhood.

Well if the sale goes through for you, just wait until the three ring circus begins when you submit plans. Lies, distortions, complete idiocy, name calling.....good luck Dave. :cry:

I assume they live in the neighborhood. I just received another NIMBY call from a neighbor. She told me that this was horrifying news that we would move low income housing in their neighborhood.

Like I stated in an earlier thread, when are people going to realize that low income doesn't equal low class? I can see not wanting to live in a neighborhood that is all low income. But judging from other projects that you have done, the end results have come out looking first rate.

I have been "lurking" about for some time now and just can't resist. I live in the East Hills area near what some would call "marginal" housing. There are many rentals, some in great shape and some not so good. It is quite the mix of people and living situations. Let me just say that I have never had a problem with the "affordable housing" tenents. I just don't understand how making a neighborhood less diverse and more monolithic is a desirable thing. In fact, the way to destroy my neighborhood would be to raze the existing older housing and plunk down some nice 3000 sq ft suburban style house with a yard. There!

I have been "lurking" about for some time now and just can't resist. I live in the East Hills area near what some would call "marginal" housing. There are many rentals, some in great shape and some not so good. It is quite the mix of people and living situations. Let me just say that I have never had a problem with the "affordable housing" tenents. I just don't understand how making a neighborhood less diverse and more monolithic is a desirable thing. In fact, the way to destroy my neighborhood would be to raze the existing older housing and plunk down some nice 3000 sq ft suburban style house with a yard. There!

Welcome grcitydog! I agree with you. I also live near some similar homes ("affordable"). I have never had any issues with any of them. Many of the residents are quite pleasant. The good news is that I don't think you will ever see any McMansions built in that area. I don't even think the city allows it. ;)

Misunderstandings, misstatements, anger, siigghhh....! Here we go:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...ll=6&thispage=1

This one kind of blows my mind. I looked at Huff recently for a client and advised them not to pursue purchasing the property. The floor plate was way too chopped up for what they wanted to do and there are about 3 or 4 different levels in the building with not very good potential for accessability upgrades.

Frankly I can't see that building being worth more then 800k and that is probably stretching it a bit. An offer for 1M on that building is insane if you ask me. I think the property is far more desirable then the structure itself.

I'd like to hear Dave's take on the Huff building

Nitro

Archived