Camden Road Retail in SouthEnd

joshuacc

A new store call Niche will be opening in the old ART BAR location on the 1500th block of Camden in a couple weeks. Also rumors of an American Apparel Store on the same block. NIche is a shoe and clothing boutique, with classic Adidas (and more) also Paul Frank and other brands. I'm sure you already know about American Apparel.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I checked out American Apparel's website http://www.americanapparel.net and they seem to be growing fast. The interesting thing is every current and proposed location is in an urban location (no malls or strip centers). They look like they typically have been in very large cities and very liberal college towns. Hopefully South End does well for them (1510 Camden was listed as a "coming soon" location).

Not only do they sell clothes in an urban location but to my understanding they also produce thier clothes in an urban building. I was sort of expecting them to come, I starting reading about them after they announced a Houston store a while back.

It looks like they are also opening a store on King St. in Charleston.

Well I hope they make it.....I talked to some people in the apparel production industry last night and they said that American Apparel is losing huge amounts of money because they chose very "hip" locations, and spend a ton of money on store upfit.....but they said there is a ton of money being pumped into them.

I'd love for Charlotte to develop a little another little boutique area like Central/Plaza, though this would seem to be higher end.......

I'm always excited to see Charlotte attract national specialty chains before other larger cities.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will these stores be located where it looks like a little main street - is this the area :

Those areas have so much potential - I wish the city or South End would do a streetscape project (add some brick pavers for the sidewalks and maybe some cobblestone on the streets - you know, dress it up a bit - like City Market in Raleigh) I could definately see it being an artsy/quirky enclave of shops and places to eat - I wouldn't want to see a lot of chains - either things unique to the area (like American Apparel) or local places.

Will these stores be located where it looks like a little main street - is this the area :

Those areas have so much potential - I wish the city or South End would do a streetscape project (add some brick pavers for the sidewalks and maybe some cobblestone on the streets - you know, dress it up a bit - like City Market in Raleigh) I could definately see it being an artsy/quirky enclave of shops and places to eat - I wouldn't want to see a lot of chains - either things unique to the area (like American Apparel) or local places.

You are correct, Niche is where Tryon St. splits @ Camden, and American Apperal is suposed to be on the same block,but Im not exactly sure which building it will occupy. I really think this part of Southend has great potential for a pedestrian friendly retail experience.

I went into their store on Manhattan's Lower East Side on Saturday, and the employees probably couldn't have done too much staring into space....it was PACKED....though I do question how long the trend of buying plain colored t-shirts at a 600% markup will last in Charlotte.

I am glad that it is coming to Charlotte though, because it is one of those trendy destination stores that will bring people to South End, yet doesn't have that "chain store" feel.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Black Sheep is already open, but they are moving north on Camden to the spot between Niche and American Apparel.

The American Apparel store is going to be HUGE!!! It's at least twice size of the one in NYC that I went into. I hope they will do well enough to cover the expenses.

Yeah, Black Sheep is already open, but they are moving north on Camden to the spot between Niche and American Apparel.

The American Apparel store is going to be HUGE!!! It's at least twice size of the one in NYC that I went into. I hope they will do well enough to cover the expenses.

Yeah, I hope the store does well too. Are these stores near the site for Southend Showplace and has that started construction yet? And does anyone have any pictures of the area (old or new) - I'm not very familiar with it..

Niche is already open right at the corner of Tryon, Camden, and Summit (a la 5 points) where Art Bar used to be. Black Sheep will be in the same building on the Camden St. side, and AA will take the old garage and wrap behind the other two with entrances both on Camden and Tryon.

Southend Showplace will be one block west at Summit and Church. Right now there isn't much to connect the areas, but in a couple of years it will all start to blend.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I drove by the American Apperal store tonight, as they had the garage doors wide open with the place fully lit on the inside as they were doing some work on it. I must say that it really lit up that block, and it looks like this will be a nice retail establishment. I am excited this is coming to Southend. I wish I had my camera with me.

I was driving by and saw all the clothes were set up and people were going in and out. So I stopped and parked and walked up. They are stocking now and said they will be open Tuesday or Wednesday. They were not particularly friendly. Surliness is an AA tradition I guess they think it makes them hip. The design of the building is typically lowkey. I will definitely go back to check out the overpriced shirts. I hope they do well because their presence will be a great help to the burgeoning Southend/Camden St area.

Archived