Obesity & Poor Community Design?

eusebius

BnaBreaker - please don't resort to name calling in the future and pollute this forum like you did the Skyscraperpage.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to agree with that statement. I have seen very few posts from BNA that add anything but more discourse to the forum.

Daddyo, your behavior is not much better. Quit making posts just to piss people off. All of you can go back to SSP if you can't behave any better than this.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with that statement.  I have seen very few posts from BNA that add anything but more discourse to the forum.

Daddyo, your behavior is not much better.  Quit making posts just to piss people off.  All of you can go back to SSP if you can't behave any better than this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Umm, excuse me, but the guy made multiple posts that absolutely defied the most basic knowledge there is. I called him out on it, and you're coming down on me for it? Perhaps "Dumbass" was a poor choice of words, but any lighter synonym I could have selected would've had the same effect. I even said that if he was merely joking, then fine, but being that willfully ignorant of simple fact is not something I will let slide without comment. Please do not pretend as though I am the reason this thread went into the pits merely for pointing out that an ignorant comment was indeed ignorant.

Furthermore, if i'm such a poor forumer then kick me out. I couldn't care less. I've made 45 posts in like three years for chrissake. You'll have to prove it to me though.

I will also point out that I have been a member of skyscraperpage for more than five years now without ever being suspended. Neither of you two are around there anymore are you? Who was doing the polluting? Hmm?

Now, all that being said, if you're going to kick me off at least do it for a legitimate reason and not because you don't like me or because I merely said something that multiple other forumers said in other fashions. I don't see you coming down on them, and I don't think you should be, but you've very obviously chosen to single me out for some reason or another. I'd like to know why.

Let me repaond in the BnaBreaker fashion:

Of course...community design has alot to do with obesity rates as many have already said.  Why else do you think our country is far and away the most suburban oriented AND the most obese? 

You have got to be kidding that is just stupid.

community design also plays a big role in determining what 'lazy' is.

This is just crazy and obviously comes from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. Has BnaBreakere ever been to a suburb? There are health clubs, YMCAs and parks all over the place. Thanks to lower densities, you can ride your bike for more that 100 yards without having to stop at a stop sign or run the risk of being killing by the increased traffic of a dense neighborhood.

Proper community design

We have proper commuiniy design everywhere. It was designed by the people and businesses that spent their money to built it. BnaBreaker needs to keep his hands in his own pockets.

Nobody is going to want to talk in a typical sprawl-burb, and that is the point.

Obviously I was right. He's never been to the suburbs. :rofl:

I'm sure this "gas crisis" will definitely help out in bringing down the obesity rates as well if it lasts long enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess BnaBreaker is going to be happy about all the poor people looking Lindsey Lohan soon. He'll love it when poor people have to pay $10.00 for a loaf of bread because the truck that has to deliver it to the inner city has to pay $4.00 a gallon for gas.

How ignorant. :silly:

BnaBreaker - the reason you have been at the SkyCrapper page so long without bannishment is because they support your wacky dumbass commie opinions. I certainly hope yopu are not banned from this site. Yours are the knee jerk, mindless opinions that are just puked up without thinking that I find the most commical. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Furthermore, if i'm such a poor forumer then kick me out.  I couldn't care less.  I've made 45 posts in like three years for chrissake.  You'll have to prove it to me though. 

I will also point out that I have been a member of skyscraperpage for more than five years now without ever being suspended.  Neither of you two are around there anymore are you?  Who was doing the polluting?  Hmm?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your qualification for being a good forumer is that you have not been suspended form SSP? :rofl:

I left SSP exactly because the place abounds in childish comments, immaturity and is basically a teenybopper chat room. No doubt based on the post above you fit right in with that crowd. So please go back there, have your fun but don't come back here unless you feel that you can post with the level of at least an older teenager. I don't care if you post here or not, but you will not make personal attacks on other forumers no matter how bad the other person has behaved.

BnaBreaker - the reason you have been at the SkyCrapper page so long without bannishment is because they support your wacky dumbass commie opinions.  I certainly hope yopu are not banned from this site.  Yours are the knee jerk, mindless opinions that are just puked up without thinking that I find the most commical.  Keep it up. :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goodby Daddyyo. :whistling:

Your qualification for being a good forumer is that you have not been suspended form SSP?  :rofl: 

I left SSP exactly because the place abounds in childish comments, immaturity and is basically a teenybopper chat room.  No doubt based on the post above you fit right in with that crowd. So please go back there, have your fun but don't come back here unless you feel that you can post with the level of at least an older teenager.  I don't care if you post here or not, but you will not make personal attacks on other forumers no matter how bad the other person has behaved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Look, I don't want to get into an argument with you at all. I merely think you are wrong about me, and that your opinions of me are based on little truth. Thats all. But, I appreciate you not banning me for what its worth. I obviously don't make it a point to make "personal attacks" on others, but when someone is very obviously wrong, I will tell them about it. Next time i'll leave out the "dumbass" part though.

Let me repaond in the BnaBreaker fashion:

You have got to be kidding that is just stupid.

This is just crazy and obviously comes from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.  Has BnaBreakere ever been to a suburb?  There are health clubs, YMCAs and parks all over the place.  Thanks to lower densities, you can ride your bike for more that 100 yards without having to stop at a stop sign or run the risk of being killing by the increased traffic of a dense neighborhood.

We have proper commuiniy design everywhere.  It was designed by the people and businesses that spent their money to built it.  BnaBreaker needs to keep his hands in his own pockets.

Obviously I was right.  He's never been to the suburbs. :rofl:

I guess BnaBreaker is going to be happy about all the poor people looking Lindsey Lohan soon.  He'll love it when poor people have to pay $10.00 for a loaf of bread because the truck that has to deliver it to the inner city has to pay $4.00 a gallon for gas.

Thank Goodness, you are banned, so I suppose you won't be responding to me...but for the sake of hopefully getting this (what I think is) interesting debate back on track, i'm going to respond to this post. Why you were a part of a forum about urban development when you have such little understanding of it is beyond me, but whats done is done I suppose.

To answer your question, not only have I been to a suburb, I live in a suburb. I'm a college student and I live with my parents. I'm poor because, well, i'm a college student. So, there goes your entire 'he doesn't know because he's an rich urban elitest'. The difference between you and I I suppose is that I took the time to examine environments different than my own and found that good, healthy urban environments were far better at promoting a healthy, interactive, community based lifestyle.

You are right, there are health clubs all over the suburbs. Why are there so many? Because in the suburbs you must go out of your way to stay healthy. Nobody ever said it wasn't possible to be healthy in suburbia. That is very obviously not true as it is very obvious that not everyone in the suburbs are overweight. It is simply more difficult to do so. In an urban neighborhood you can walk and bike everywhere so, a trip to the grocery store for example turns into exercise. In a typical new suburb, although sidewalks may exist, things are so spread out that one really doesn't have any REAL choice but to drive everywhere.

Okay wait, scratch that, i've changed my mind. Although I think this is an interesting topic, there really isn't a debate here because all one needs to do is look at the facts. This is kind of like "debating" whether getting shot in the head would cause pain. One could deny it if they like, but if they merely look at the facts, they'd see the truth. The truth in this case...and basically all studies that I have seen prove this...is that generally, sunbelt cities (but really, the more car-dependant cities regardless of geographical location) and suburbia in general have higher obesity rates than urban cities do. That is simply the way it is and i'm sorry, but there really isn't any factual argument that can be stated otherwise.

According to this article sprawl does not increase obesity (I guess I was wrong)

http://www.planetizen.com/node/17336

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For every "study" that comes to the conclusion that sprawl isn't one of the main factors in this country's collective rapidly expanding wasteline, there are two or three that conclude that it is. Studies aside though, all one really has to do to find that urban environments promote a healthier lifestyle is to go exist in a very urban place for a month or two and the proof will be evident to you when you stand on the scale. Or, if one merely looks at the type of people that make up each place it would be sufficient proof.

Honestly, they could be right...perhaps obese people do tend to gravitate towards sprawly environments...but that in no way proves that sprawl isn't far more likely to fatten people up beyond what they already are. Sprawl and the auto-dependent, stressful, fast-paced, have-no-time-for-a-real-meal-because-I-have-to-sit-in-traffic-so-i'll-just-swing-by-the-mcdonalds-drivethru-for-a-burger-and-fries lifestyle is absolutely the main factor behind this nation's exploding obesity epidemic. It's simple common sense really. If it isn't sprawl that is behind it, then what is?

Archived