Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sd_urban

Spanish Architecture of San Diego's Balboa Park

A little FYI-

Balboa Park is a 1,400 acre urban park located next to downtown. Included on it's grounds are the famous San Diego Zoo, numerous museums and theaters, and many hiking and biking trails. Most of it's spanish revival buildings were built at the turn of the century.

^^^Most of the buildings in the park were built in 1915 for Panama-California Exposition. Today, almost all of them are museums.

A few more pics -

38848519_96e35ef2d2.jpg

38843847_8a0419ef1c.jpg

35166141_e0ecc901c5.jpg

28106324_11a0b94db5.jpg

bal12.jpg

28102772_7678c3b532.jpg

19623580_66eda8d69a.jpg

39525105_797c604c75.jpg

bal5.jpg

28106802_4c7832bb8e.jpg

6414326_6d711c779f.jpg

Excellent pictures! If I didn't know they were from Balboa park, I'd have thought they were from Barcelona.

Never thought SD could look that good...

The Spanish Colonial buildings were designed by famed New York architect, Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue. Supposedly, it was the first time that this richly ornamented architectural style had ever been used in this country.

The Spanish Colonial buildings were designed by famed New York architect, Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue.  Supposedly, it was the first time that this richly ornamented architectural style had ever been used in this country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are great. Even if they are not actual "historic" constructions, the style is very well imitated. Mostly Barroque, I see. In Quito, you'll find very similar buildings from the 1500s, if you like that style, you might find them quite amusing.

:):ph34r:

I do love that style, because the detail is so interesting to look at. Unfortunately, San Diego is such a young city that we have no buildings that are as old as the ones you have in Quito. But as you said, the buildings are still beautiful even though they are not originals.

I do love that style, because the detail is so interesting to look at.  Unfortunately, San Diego is such a young city that we have no buildings that are as old as the ones you have in Quito.  But as you said, the buildings are still beautiful even though they are not originals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And you know, it is very cool to recover old architecture, and adapt it to new scenaries. For a young city, I think they are pretty well designed, for even with the imitated Barroque style, they maintain a certain uniqueness of the time and the architect's preferences. I really liked them, hope to visit sometime. :)

:ph34r: