35 Oakes SW - Heartside Area

GRDadof3

OK, I know someone here has to know the scoop on this old hotel on Oakes and Commerce. It has had a Rockford Construction and Mercantile Bank sign on it for some time now. The 35 Oakes address no longer shows up with the County, but the parcel number is assigned to a "35 Oakes LLC". What's the story?

3EB01E40159911DAB031E0E318F73B1D.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you heard that Cooley would build their own housing you probably heard wrong, Cooley has been in Lansing fo a very, very long time and has not yet even attemped to build any housing, although there is a possible large-scale project in it's very early stages that could involve housing. If it is a non-Cooley project, I'd say it's a good possibility. Why is this building boarded up, it appears to be in a decent area, was there a history of vandalism or break-ins?

If you heard that Cooley would build their own housing you probably heard wrong, Cooley has been in Lansing fo a very, very long time and has not yet even attemped to build any housing, although there is a possible large-scale project in it's very early stages that could involve housing. If it is a non-Cooley project, I'd say it's a good possibility. Why is this building boarded up, it appears to be in a decent area, was there a history of vandalism or break-ins?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That building sits in the middle of the Heartside District, which is a very transitional, but historically significant, area. They are calling this part of Heartside "Cherry Street Landing". Most of these buildings and right around the arena sat moth-balled for a long time or had some light use. Right across the street to the left of the photo sits Cooley's expansion/collaboration with WMU:

FA76A050D91111D9921394AD18F73B1D.jpg

I think mpchicago is right that it was supposed to be housing for Cooley/WMU.

Are those buildings historic rennovations or new consruction? And how close is the Heartside District to downtown?

Oh, GRDadof3, this building does not appear to be on emporis, get a list going of buildings like this, most of the buildings in that photo can probably be added, get the address', and if possible, years built, squarefootage, usage, ect.... Send Lmich a message through Emporis with the info so he can add it :) . Hope you don't mind, Lmich ;) ...

Are those buildings historic rennovations or new consruction? And how close is the Heartside District to downtown?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Both old and new. It is just a block South of Fulton Street, which is on the Southern edge of the CBD.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=oakes+and+co...90182&t=h&hl=en

Here are some other photos of rehabs either underway or finished in the area:

7B2EC4E0D91A11D999C46F1418F73B1D.jpg

9EFD2090DA9D11D9A18CF50118F73B1D.jpg

9D35CE10DA9D11D9A6961BD018F73B1D.jpg

A0EB0DE0DA9D11D99ADE1EC118F73B1D.jpg

964528D0E98411D9A9F5E6CE18F73B1D.jpg

9762F060EFD011D9A161AC4F18F73B1D.jpg

914DA4B0F4AB11D9AD85D15318F73B1D.jpg

C77E3D90F54811D9B92AA54D18F73B1D.jpg

A8FEE310F60B11D99A3DB6A118F73B1D.jpg

A72E41C0F60B11D991F05AFC18F73B1D.jpg

1459D9A0FACE11D993B1CA7118F73B1D.jpg

7EFCF840FD2711D9B11C388E18F73B1D.jpg

CA3D78A0FD1F11D9AACA908018F73B1D.jpg

84EB5F30FD2711D99B92CD9218F73B1D.jpg

F8BBF800D91111D99895A48E18F73B1D.jpg

A826B550DA9D11D984E9B57318F73B1D.jpg

A65DB520DA9D11D9BFE2905018F73B1D.jpg

AA11E380DA9D11D9A00E918E18F73B1D.jpg

A49921C0DA9D11D9B6DAA3BF18F73B1D.jpg7C48BD10DA9E11D9A78B535B18F73B1D.jpg

Quite unbelievable, really.

I was just thinking recently to do a photo thread of all of the South Division/Heartside architecture

Good grief GRdad you have a lot of pictures. That's okay though...keep 'em coming! One of these days when I get time I hafta take some too...

And hood, heartside holds loads of potential. there is a lot of activity going on there, and there is still work to be done on some buildings. Hopefully it will continue.. ;)

Good grief GRdad you have a lot of pictures. That's okay though...keep 'em coming! One of these days when I get time I hafta take some too...

And hood, heartside holds loads of potential. there is a lot of activity going on there, and there is still work to be done on some buildings. Hopefully it will continue.. ;)

Good grief GRdad you have a lot of pictures.  That's okay though...keep 'em coming!  One of these days when I get time I hafta take some too...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl: My database is at somewhere around 800 and growing. I think a picture can help answer questions better than written words many times.

Hmm looking at those pics of commerce Ave...I probably walked past you yesterday and didn't even know it!  That street looks a lot better.  I like what has been done with the sidewalks in that area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was in disguise :ph34r: Actually, the Commerce ones are from earlier this summer. I had posted them before, but thought I would flood this thread :P

I can't beleive how many large historic buildings GR has, and I'm all for more photos of GR, since I can't get up there I depend on photo's to see it. I would assume GR hasn't experienced a great deal of historic building destruction throughout it's history? Just can't get over how many old 4-6 story buildings there are!!! We only have a few left in Lansing.

I can't beleive how many large historic buildings GR has, and I'm all for more photos of GR, since I can't get up there I depend on photo's to see it. I would assume GR hasn't experienced a great deal of historic building destruction throughout it's history? Just can't get over how many old 4-6 story buildings there are!!! We only have a few left in Lansing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We do have some real gems left. However, now that you mention it, a 6 square blockf area was demolished in the 1960's due to "urban renewal", from Lyon Street North to Michigan and Monroe to Division:

http://www.grmuseum.org/exhibits/clock/tower_clock.shtml

http://www.grpl.org/site_images/gallery/1960s08.jpg

In Lansing we had 10-12 block destroyed for the Capitol Complex alone, At least 10 more blocks adjacent to the Capitol Complex for other buildiongs and surface lots, much of this, both Capitol Complex and the other, were only houses. Also adjacent to this, another 8-9 blocks for the Capitol Complex, you get the point. I'm going to try to do a Historic Destruction topic for Lansing, but that will require a trip to the library. I need to wait until the 1st or 3rd Saturday of next month to get into the local history section though, :( If you can't tell, I'm very interested in local history.

In Lansing we had 10-12 block destroyed for the Capitol Complex alone, At least 10 more blocks adjacent to the Capitol Complex for other buildiongs and surface lots, much of this, both Capitol Complex and the other, were only houses. Also adjacent to this, another 8-9 blocks for the Capitol Complex, you get the point. I'm going to try to do a Historic Destruction topic for Lansing, but that will require a trip to the library. I need to wait until the 1st or 3rd Saturday of next month to get into the local history section though, :( If you can't tell, I'm very interested in local history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The GR main library has a great archive area that is open every day. I have been browsing old Grand Rapids Herald articles there. It is funny how the NEWSPAPER touted all of the new buildings being built back then. They describe every one as "this will be the finest structure in the city" or "planned to be the finest apartment in the city", and they always mention how they are all fireproof (obviously a big concern back then). I am trying to figure out exactly how many, but I believe there were 50 - 60 buildings built downtown in a 10-15 year span around 1900 - 1915 in Grand Rapids. It was an unbelievable building boom due to the skyrocketing fine furniture market. And the population doubled almost twice in that time period.

Sorry, way off the 35 Oakes topic.

Archived