Nashville Sounds Forum Today

smeagolsfree

I just left the forum on the Sounds proposal Downtown. There was not a lot of new infomation because the plan is still in the design phase and from my take it is still very fluid. I thought it was very good , as informative as it could be at this stage in the game.

Some people there wanted to send this back to the mayor and council. That has been done and we got the best project for the area, thats my opinion anyway.

This is directed to William. Why don't you do a poll in the City Paper and see what kind of support the Stadium has from your readers and see if the support I think is out there reflects in the poll. You may have already done a poll but I could not find it if you did.

The one thing that got under my skin was the fact there were about 5 mostly blue hairs that did not like the idea lf the stadium on that site for all different reasons. It seems when someone is against an idea they think they are speaking for the majority of the people present. One lady was concerned because there would not be any opportunities for the poor to take part in activities on this "public land" ,(that is the way I saw it anyway). The fact of the matter is it would bring more and better paying jobs to the residents of east Nashville. She thought they again would be the parking lot for something that no one else wants.

Anaother man that lives on Rutledge Hill said it would block his view and his property value would go down. To this I would ask him if he would rather the thermal plant be there instead. Someone else made the comment that his property would increase in value with all the development there and I agree.

Another man wanted to save the site for future civic buildings. Then how long will the site be empty and not generating tax revenue.

It seems as if when one person who is against something is as vocal as ten people.

I think these people are in the minority, or at least I hope so. I do know that when one man in support of the proposal was mentioning all the other ballparks in major cities, more than 3/4 of the people in the room applauded. When the other group wanted applause only about five or ten people were clapping as hard as they could including the councilman who reprents that district and he was dead set against the stadium on that site. I spoke to him for a few minutes and realized where his head was.

I may have not gotten all of the facts totaly correct because I did'nt take notes. I try my best.

We need to fight for this project and let the oldtimers go tend to their cornfields because that is what Downtown Nashville would still be if they had their way. By the way things are going, some of these people will not be around by the time they get this thing built.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to fight for this project and let the oldtimers go tend to their cornfields because that is what Downtown Nashville would still be if they had their way. By the way things are going, some of these people will not be around by the time they get this thing built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Everybody is entitled to their opinion of what that land should be used for, and their opinion is as valid as anybody else's.

I really don't understand this last paragraph though. I imagine folks attending this are from Nashville/Davidson County.

I completely agree with 'smeagol' there were way too many people that wanted to start the entire process over. The CEO of Struever Bros., Eccels and Rouse was starting to get frustrated at all the back sliding. Of Course they have a right to their opinion but it seems absurd to believe that a private company would risk 220 million and not expect a return on investment. Either the city should step up and share the risk or all the second guessing should subside.

I spoke with the Architecture firm representative and they are confident that the process will not be unduly delayed. In addition the HOK and the developers are busy trying to determine the best way to orient the stadium given the underlying bedrock.

The plan to tie the site in with d'town and the river impressed me but again it was short on facts. I am looking forward to the follow-up meeting in a couple of weeks.

The only definite items that were mentioned are 225,000 of office space and 600 residential units (a mix of sale and rent) and this was a necessity to pay the financing.

One lady was concerned because there would not be any opportunities for the poor to take part in activities on this "public land" ,(that is the way I saw it anyway). The fact of the matter is it would bring more and better paying jobs to the residents of east Nashville. She thought they again would be the parking lot for something that no one else wants.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just saw the 4:30 news on channel 2. Their story on this showed only one person's opinion and guess whose it happened to be. I know everyone has their concerns and the right to express their opinions but come on. I don't mean to sound insensitive, but I don't see this as having anything to do with the poor feeling like parking lots. We should do all we can for those less fortunate. We are told they will always be with us and we most certainly should care for our fellow man. However, not every building project is about that. This project is about building a ballpark that our city needs. Yes, that's my opinion. What else are we going to build on this land? How about a statue dedicated to mourn the loss of fallen thermal plants. Oh wait, we already have one of those going in across the river. Better yet, how about a "free to the public" extreme skate park so all of the youngsters can come on down, break their arms and legs and then sue the pants off the city. Sorry for the rant. Man do I feel better. Thanks for the great info smeagol. I'm with ya.

I'm right with you guys, this is something we really need.

What in the world would make that woman say something like that. Now I have every right to say what I want to say about the less fortunate because I was raised poor. What in the world does she want them to put on the land for the poor to use? A homeless shelter? Some housing projects? A free walk in clinic? I dont get it. This city does plenty for the poor. If they were to build a free park for some sort or a free museum about the history of Nashville the poor wouldnt use it. The poor usually dont get involved in public activity. Generally speaking if your so poor you cant afford a $10 sounds ticket its probably your fault. I feel no sympathy for someone who lays out of work or dont work at all then spend what little money they have on durgs or alcohol. I know there are special cases where people work and and are struggling to make it but they are not in the majority. If someone really needs help and cant help themselves I'm all for it. I dont understand why so many people want something for nothing. My heart goes out to the poor children who like myself grow up dealing with so much negativity because of pitiful decisions their parents make. We help the poor in this city in more ways than I can count. Just to name a few..we provide affordable housing, we provide welfare, we provide free college education, we provide food stamps, we provide free insurance, free drug abuse help, we have numerous programs that help the less fortunate with decent jobs, I could go on and on. What more could you ask for? Oh yeah I know, you could ask for a small piece of land downtown that a man who busts his ass for 40 hours a week wants a baseball staduim sitting on so when he wraps up a hard weeks work he can go buy himself and his little brother tickets to a friday night baseball game. I will stop now. Sorry guys I just have some very strong feelings about this subject.

Hey RK

I live just outside Davidsin County and since I live in the Metro area I feel I have just as much say in quality of life issues as anyone else. I work in Nashville and I would say there were others that do not live right in Nashville there as well. As far as that comment in the last paragraph, it is making fun at the older generation that got things there way when they were younger and it is time for a new generation to have a say in things. It was also a jab at the people who do not want Nashville to grow.

Just want to know where you live R.K.? Do you live in Nashville or Memphis. For some reason I thought you were in Memphis.

This is off the subject,but

as long as I am at it, the Metro Councilmember said there were too many churches in Nashville. I took offence at that because they are a lot of what makes a community and do a better job of helping the poor, the homeless and dealing with many other social concerns than the city govts do and every city in the country would be a lot worse off if we did'nt have them around. He also said they were a tax drain. Well I do not think many cities would survive if they did'nt have them. He was not all the way agianst churches ,but he did'nt want any more downtown.

^ I live in neither, I live in the gigantic Union City micropolitan area. ;):D

I have lived in Nashville on a couple occasions though, just left this June from my last stint to come home and get an advanced degree. My main emphasis of interest tends to be West Tennessee and in Middle Tennessee as far as Nashville. I like both Memphis and Nashville alot, and basically everything in between. :D

I definately think you have as much right as anyone to express your views since you live in the Metro, but I assume though that most folks who went to the event were from Davidson County, since it most directly effected them.

Anyways, I was just saying I think that opposing opinions have value, even if most of us disagree with them.

Edit: Typos

Better yet, how about a "free to the public" extreme skate park so all of the youngsters can come on down, break their arms and legs and then sue the pants off the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey now. we already have one of those. But now that you mention it, it would be nice to have another.

Archived