Movie Theatres in your area of the State

Tayfromcarolina

A few years ago it seemed if you lived in the area you had to drive a while to get to a movie theater but within the last 5 years 1/3 of Wake Counties Theatres were built or are under construction. Carmike used to have a monopoly but now Regal,Consolidated and Marquee Cinemas have entered the region. I'm going to Try to create a list of the ones I know about or know of in my area. I'm hoping all of these movies can do well seems like a lot for the market. How many in your city?

Wake County Movie (1st and 2nd Run, IMAX,limited release)...Screens...Year Built

Raleigh, NC

1. Mission Valley Cinema...6...1980's?

2. Raleighwood Cinema & Grill..2...1994?

3. Blue Ridge.. 14-screens..1995?

4. Six Forks Station...8 screens..1995?

5. Rialto Theatres..1..screen.. 1995?

6. Colony Theatres..2 screens.. 1996?

7. Atlantic Springs...15-screens..1996?

8. Raleigh Grande..18-screens..1998

8. IMAX Theater Exploris..1 HD screen...2001

9. Brier Creek..14 screens.. 2003

10. North Hills.. 14-screens..2004

Morrisville, NC

1. Park Place.. 16 screens...1998?

Cary, NC

1. Galaxy Cinema....6 screens...?

2. Crossroads 20...20 screens...1999

Garner, NC

1. Garner Towne 10...10 screens...1998

Wake Forest, NC

1. Marquee Cinema Wakefield ....12 screens...2005

Proposed or Under Construction

1. Under Construction "White Oak Cinema" 16 screens.2006? Garner/Clayton, NC

2. Under Construction "Beaver Creek Movies" 16 screens 2006? Apex, NC

Totals in Wake County by 2006-- 190 screens at 18 Theatres. :D

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I don't know the exact numbers here in Forsyth Co., but we are TERRIBLY underscreened for the population here. However, I did notice progress on the building site for the new 16(18??) screen theater on the North Side of town on the site of the old Super K.

That theater chain is supposedly scouting for another location in Winston as well, so hopefully we can add 30-40 screens here shortly.

One area that is terribly overscreened is north Charlotte. I think 2 movie theaters had to close because of Birkdale's theater opening... Palace Cinema 12 at Kenton Place which wasn't even that old closed down, and it's a sad empty shell now and I think Movies at The Lake, the older theater in Cornelius, also closed as a result. And now, Northlake is getting a 14 screen theater to add along with Concord Mills' 24 screens and Birkdale's 16

I believe there is a new theater going up in Eastern Garner, near the 40/70 interchange in the White Oak shopping center. It really is astonishing how many movie theaters are being built and how many of them are new, especially in a time when the film industry is supposedly in a slump...

I kind of miss the small 4 and 6 screen theaters...they were so much more personal...and hate how, say 3 theaters always seem to close because 1 larger theater opens....I love my $1.50 Blue Ridge Road movie theater in Raleigh though....a very good way to pass the time if you are on a budget :)

Charlotte is very underscreened. There should be a movie theater at eastland mall and on independence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was once a 3 screen theatre at Eastland as it was part of the original mall. There was also the Capri Theatre on Independence and Eastway. The building is still there but abandonded now. There is another theatre on Independence across from Windser square that is also closed now. All closed due to changing demographics in the area and the proflieration of multi-screened movie houses.

Well, I don't know the exact numbers here in Forsyth Co., but we are TERRIBLY underscreened for the population here.  However, I did notice progress on the building site for the new 16(18??) screen theater on the North Side of town on the site of the old Super K.

That theater chain is supposedly scouting for another location in Winston as well, so hopefully we can add 30-40 screens here shortly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah looking at that site I posted, I saw ONLY 2 theaters for the city of Winston Salem - which surprised me. http://www.cinematour.com/theatres.php?db=...vince=NC&page=7

Charlotte Metro Theatre listing

Charlotte-

AMC Carolina Pavilion 22

Arboretum Cinema 12

Imax Dome Theatre at Discovery Place

New Light at Eastland Mall 3

Park Terrace 6 (circa 1959..i think)

Phillips Place Stadium 10

Regal Cinemas Stonecrestat Piper Glen 22

Regal Crownpoint Stadium 12

Regal Manor Twin(Independant Films)

Regal Starlight Stadium 14