Miss America Pageant coming to Nashville?

Lady Celeste

Of course this is pure speculation but I thought it interesting enough to post. It's not a development based topic but it does bode well for the Nashville area if it comes to fruition. Talk about all the national esposure.

There article was in the Atlanta Journal Constitution.....

Miss America to Leave Atlantic City

Here is the exerpt from the article that caused me to post this story.

McMaster, who took over the ailing nonprofit group that runs Miss America in 2004, said the loss of millions of dollars in revenue after being dumped by ABC for low ratings last October had forced the organization's hand.

He said the pageant could save up to $1 million by moving to a venue in a new city, between reduced telecast production costs and site fees potentially offered by a new location. He insisted that no deal or offer was on the table elsewhere.

Under a TV deal with country music channel CMT that was announced in June, this year's Miss America pageant was moved from its typical autumn slot to January.

But neither the pageant nor the network said where the next pageant would be held, fueling speculation that Atlantic City's signature event would head to Nashville, Tenn., where CMT is headquartered

Now that is a very nice prospect indeed. ^_^

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this came up once before, but, if I remember correctly the pageant officials wanted so much, from an unbelievable amount of free hotel rooms, transportation services, meals, security and who knows what else, the city told them they could stuff it. I agreed completely. If CMT and parent MTV want to pay for this out of their cash-packed pockets, that's fine, but if city money is involved beyond token amounts, then I'd just as well see this thing move to someplace which needs the publicity. What I'm saying is that if this is indeed an economic boost as well as another national stage for the city, that's a good thing. But, if they begin acting too big for their bras again wanting the moon along with world peace, then I can't say I'm very positive about it. Dollars first, bustlines later.

I think this came up once before, but, if I remember correctly the pageant officials wanted so much, from an unbelievable amount of free hotel rooms, transportation services, meals, security and who knows what else, the city told them they could stuff it. I agreed completely. If CMT and parent MTV want to pay for this out of their cash-packed pockets, that's fine, but if city money is involved beyond token amounts, then I'd just as well see this thing move to someplace which needs the publicity. What I'm saying is that if this is indeed an economic boost as well as another national stage for the city, that's a good thing. But, if they begin acting too big for their bras again wanting the moon along with world peace, then I can't say I'm very positive about it. Dollars first, bustlines later.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well put.

Miss America is probably a pageant whose time has come and gone.

It's so identified with Atlantic City, that I think they just ought to close up shop if they can't make it there.

It runs the risk of being some sort of touring lounge act.

Rather than that, it ought to bow out gracefully.

Archived