Hurricane Katrina

KendallKid

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a general idea of what we're talking about, this is the area. 826 is the Palmetto Expressway, 821 is the Turnpike, and 836 is the Dolphin Expressway:

836bridgecollapsezoomedout6hb.png

This is the Fontainebleau/Doral area, 9 miles west of downtown Miami. You can see Dolphin Mall (far left) and Miami International Mall (on 107th Ave). SR 973 is NW 87th Avenue (Galloway Road).

836bridgecollapse7kc.jpg

The NW 97th Avenue overpass is currently under construction over SR 836. The deck for the roadway had not been finished yet and the wind probably knocked the beams off the piers. I guess they weren't properly secured or something.

I certainly hope nobody was on the roads when this happened. And traffic is going to be a NIGHTMARE tomorrow. 836 is a severely congested roadway on regular days..

In a related story, an 18-wheeler was blown off the side of an overpass on Interstate 595 and US441/SR7 in Broward County and is reported to be dangling at this hour...

Just saw a pic of the 836 bridge; all I can say is... WOW. Whole bunch of crushed concrete on the ground. Authorities are saying that it will take at 24-36 hours for the road to be reopened.

^To your question on assessing damage: it's too early to tell. There are some uprooted trees (a lot of ficus trees which have shallow roots to begin with) and downed power lines... I would guess that structural damage is minimal, maybe a few awnings blown off but buildings otherwise intact. There is also some widespread flooding in certain areas. About a million people are without power. 836 is going to remain closed and all connecting entrance ramps leading to the affected segment are closed.

Miami-Dade and Broward County public schools are indeed closed, and all of the colleges and universities I've checked on are also closed.

It's up to each employer to decide whether or not they are opening tomorrow. In situations like these, city and county governments close down, and only essential personnel (police, fire-rescue, etc.) must report.

Just thought I would ask how all you Miami and Ft Lauderdale guys and gals made out after the storm. Here is hoping that everything is ok. I know we debate a lot about buildings, transit, pop, etc, etc. But this post is just to let our Urban comrads know in South FL that we are thinking of you and hoping everyone made out ok during the storm. Hopefully after the clean up you guys can get back to debating and sun-bathing. B)

A2

BTW, last I checked greater Ft Lauderdale and Miami had 1,000,000 in the dark. Plus Four dead , five missing and an overpass down near central Miami. Our thought and prayers are with you guys.

I'm in West Palm Beach, and I'm fine. It was Welcome Week for my college in downtown WPB, so it was quite an interesting start to college. Some of the students from outta-town were freaked out, not knowing what hurricanes are like. It was kinda funny to see them all concerned...

No damage up here, just alot of annoying rain and wind.

Thanks everybody. Siggghhhhh... I guess that's one of the caveats of paradise -- you gotta get knocked around a little bit to appreciate what you got.

As is expected, we're among the million or so without power at home and it was really tough getting home last night -- pitch black, highbeams, no streetlights and traffic lights, and trees down everywhere.

It's decent in my neck of the words... Perhaps the best part of all was that today (Friday) is my regular garbage day -- bless their hearts, service ran as scheduled so my street was cleared sooner than expected.

Certainly not as bad as some folks farther south. They got the brunt of this storm and it lasted the longest there. It veered southwest away from the Dade/Broward county line and deluged Kendall, Cutler Ridge, Homestead, Florida City, etc. Some of our forumers live down there and I certainly hope they are all right. I'm getting into work and starting to see more TV coverage (we have a generator) and besides trees, there's lots of water in many areas. Miami's mean elevation is about 8 feet above sea level.. Most of the areas affected are as low as 5 feet.

It's forecast to rain again today... hopefully some of this excess water can drain off before the downpour resumes.

Homestead just can't escape problems. I watched a documentary chanel on the National Geographic on Wednesday Night and it was specifically about Hugo and Andrew. It was a tremendous show. It's spotlight was on the residents of Homestead. All I can say is that the whole town was literally blown off the face of the map. It is real sad too hear that they were the ones to get bombarded again since they are still recovering from the devestaion they faced in Andrew. My thought and prayers will be with these families for sure. Now we just need to hope that Katrina does not get any stronger or your buddies to the North might get it worst than Miami. From what I am hearing it is suppose to strengthen to a Cat 3 storm by the time it reaches the panhandle. :o

Keeping fingers crossed that no one else is hurt or killed.

Thanks for the updates again Aessotariq . It is an unbelievable day in CLT with a hint of Fall in the air and hardly a clous in the sky. I wish the same fair weather for you guys going forward.

A2

Thanks for your thoughts. I live in Miami Beach, and we had some pretty gusty winds yesterday. Went out this morning, unfortunately without a camera. Lots of trees down and many sailboats damaged. My building sustained minor damage some window panes surrounding the pool deck chattered. The winds were awesome yesterday, transformers exploding left and right, fortunately we seemed to be the only condo buildings in the block not to lose power through the whole storm. Some friends who live in a house in Mid Beach lost power for over 12 hours. I feel for those that still do not have power. The beach should be back to normal by tomorrow. BTW I will be attending the VMA's on Sunday. Miami is ready to party. B)

We finally got our turn, it was only a matter of time.

Glad to hear you're all right, havok... I heard a very sad story on the radio this morning about a lady on Miami Beach who lost her houseboat, the lower floor of which sank.

Also, I'm not sure where this was, but I saw some footage of some construction cranes tilted over. Not totally unexpected.

let there be light,,,,i'm sorry but i hate fpl.

i don't blame them for the power going out i'm just pissed because they been riding up and down my block for more than 10 hours and they just finally restored the lights,when i went to publix all the fpl workers were just sitting there cooling off.

that had to of been the scariest cat1 storms ever ,it knocked down 3 avocado, and one mango tree at our neighbors house

Archived