Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baldy

All-Star Game pays area $52.5 million

4 posts in this topic

All-Star Game pays area $52.5 million

from the Detroit Free Press - August 26, 2005

The 2005 All-Star Game and related events generated $52.5 million in spending in the Detroit region, according to a report released Thursday.

Spending in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties related to the July 12 game and activities in the preceding week came to $42 million, according to the study conducted by Patrick Rishe, associate professor of economics at Webster University in St. Louis.

The addition of Washtenaw County raised the spending total to $52.5 million, in line with Major League Baseball's estimate of $50 million to $55 million.

Among Rishe's findings:

I would say that Detroit put on a perfect performance! I was downtown throughout the entire week and I think it was a magnificant display put on by the city. It was a great "walk through" for the Super Bowl, but there is still a lot to be done in that time. If 78% of people have a more favorable perception of the city, I'm not sure there is anything else that we could ask for.

Those are great numbers. Boy I would hate to hear what they used to think of it because when I was there in July, once I got 1 block away from Comerica Park at night, I was terrified! My relative works at DTE Detroit Edison and we walked all the way back there.

How much money was spent on security? All the while some people went homeless because of a big fire down the road. Not to say these events are bad, but should we spend the money on real security or the facade of security?

Peace to Detroit