New Wal Mart + Lowes in South Greensboro (Pics)

DigitalSky

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL before Wal-Mart went supercenter crazy you'd often see them building beside grocery stores. You'll notice these shopping centers today, well the ones where the regular Wal-Mart hasn't abandoned their store yet for a supercenter. They don't locate next to grocery stores anymore due to the competition factor, although once in a great while you'll see a supercenter next to, say, a Food Lion. I'm assuming this is where the regular wal-mart expanded. I can't even remember the last time Wal-Mart opened a non supercenter store in NC...I'm guessing they stopped doing that somewhere in the latter half of the '90's...

Btw they are building a Home Depot in Hillsborough next to the new Wal-Mart Supercenter...hehehe

Woo Hoo, another WalMart... Pretty soon they'll be like Hardee's and Food Lions were, on every corner (remember those days?)

I hear the land for the new one in W-S has now closed, so I am expecting activity soon at the site. This WalMart will be subject to the new city "big box" ordinances, having seen copies of the plans (thanks to the city and WalMart since I voice objection to this location at the planning meeting) it will look much different than the other WalMarts in the area.

That's a wal-mart all right.  Absolutely amazing.

I don't know about you, but I'm impressed!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It isn't hard to pick out those dumps...even when they aren't finsihed building because Wal-Mart feels so necessary to be so cookie cutter in its designs instead of building architecture to match the surround area. (yea, they'll put one in brick sometimes...but they've always got those two stupid points above the door)

I've never understood the fascination with retail displayed by the forumers from North Carolina....especially Wal-Mart and big box stores....it's humorous to say the least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for your contribution. If you're not into our retail threads, kindly find something else at UP to amuse yourself with.

I've never understood the fascination with retail displayed by the forumers from North Carolina....especially Wal-Mart and big box stores....it's humorous to say the least.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with Bob on this. This website's name would imply that the content is about urbanity yet the threads referencing suburban sprawl seem to rule the day. Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc are about as anti-urban as it gets regardless of whether or not the Wal-Mart is dressed up in brick. There are so many other more interesting developments going on in Greensboro, Winston-Salem and throughout the other big NC cities yet the opening of yet another Wal-Mart, the High Point Rd sprawl, favorite Triad mall, etc. elicit more enthusiasm than the new baseball stadium in downtown Greensboro or the redevelopment of the Nissen Building in downtown Winston-Salem. I don't want to come across negatively, but when the Greensboro boosters go out and tout their city as a great place to live/re-locate/expand your business, etc. the new Horizon Park, the skyline, the redeveloped train depot, etc are going to be prominently displayed on their promotional literature, not High Point Rd, Wendover Ave or the new Wal-Mart.

I'm with Bob on this.  This website's name would imply that the content is about urbanity yet the threads referencing suburban sprawl seem to rule the day.  Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc are about as anti-urban as it gets regardless of whether or not the Wal-Mart is dressed up in brick.  There are so many other more interesting developments going on in Greensboro, Winston-Salem and throughout the other big NC cities yet the opening of yet another Wal-Mart, the High Point Rd sprawl, favorite Triad mall, etc.  elicit more enthusiasm than the new baseball stadium in downtown Greensboro or the redevelopment of the Nissen Building in downtown Winston-Salem.  I don't want to come across negatively, but when the Greensboro boosters go out and tout their city as a great place to live/re-locate/expand your business, etc. the new Horizon Park, the skyline, the redeveloped train depot, etc are going to be prominently displayed on their promotional literature, not High Point Rd, Wendover Ave or the new Wal-Mart.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The beauty of this setup is that people are allowed to express themselves about any element of the built enviornment they choose. I am a retail poster many times, but I don't question the vaildity of other threads. They're all important, even if I don't particurally care for some of them.

I would kindly ask why this is even an issue (beyond that of personal taste) and contend that if you're interested in othe urban issues that you are free to start a thread on those issues that interest you and allow other like-minded individuals to engage in the discussion, just as we retail boosters have done with our interests.

Hmm.......the supercenter under construction here in Lexington is also being built beside Lowes. But back to topic, it's halfway good with this new developement as it will help out the southern side of the city yet, will increase more sprawl around the beltway. Also, it's just a few miles from downtown and this just brings down the chance of more retail downtown.

"Woo Hoo, another WalMart... Pretty soon they'll be like Hardee's and Food Lions were, on every corner (remember those days?)"

Food Lion still is on every corner. At least here in Lex.

Yea it is alot but with that many it does come in handy. You don't have to drive all over town and they all have a good amount of customers. I do wish we had something more than just Bi-lo. However with the new supercenter, that will bring in another grocery store(sorta).

Yea it is alot but with that many it does come in handy. You don't have to drive all over town and they all have a good amount of customers. I do wish we had something more than just Bi-lo. However with the new supercenter, that will bring in another grocery store(sorta).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you know what is supposed to happen to the former Ingles location in the current Wal-Mart shopping center?

Archived