Photos around Greensboro 8-25-2005

DigitalSky

phototour2gj.jpg

p10100394qp.jpg

Harris Teeter, Randleman Rd

p10100498ph.jpg

Winn-Dixie, Forest Oaks (Slated to close soon)

p10100539yd.jpg

Food Lion, MLK Jr Drive/Alamance Church

p10100549ez.jpg

Bi-Lo, MLK Jr Drive/Alamance Church

p10100577aj.jpg

MLK Jr Drive I think

p10100582sd.jpg

Southside, and a bit of the car

p10100593jd.jpg

More of the Southside area

p10100602bh.jpg

Driving into downtown

p10100611qx.jpg

Food Lion, East Market

p10100625ok.jpg

Lorillard Cigarettes

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pictures. When you think of tobbaco in the Triad, you think of Winston-Salem but Greensboro is a tobbaco city as well. People forget about Lorillard Tobbaco Company, based in Greensboro. The corporate headqaurters is in Green Valley Office park about 2 miles northwest of downtown Greensboro. The manufacturing plant is on the east side of the city. The plant is very large and it seems like its about half a mile long on English Street. Its the third or fourth largest tobbaco company in the United States and makes the popular menthol brand "Newport" as well as other brands. Newport also happens to be the most popular menthol brand in the country. Lorillard pays its employees VERY well and has a great benefits package. The average plant worker starts out at around $18 an hour and that includes janitorial positions. more technical positions pay over $20 per hour. Its very difficult to get a job there and there is a waiting list for positions. Layoffs at Lorillard are very very rare. As long as tobbaco companies dont expand into other countries like the textile industry did. there will always be job security at Lorillard. people will always smoke. Across the street from the Lorillard plant is the old R J Reynolds plants. Most people dont know that Greensboro had an RJR plant. Its been closed for many years but the building still stands and is now being used for a warehouse.

Just a little anecdotal information:

January, 2000

Top U.S. cigarette brands, manufacturers and market share:

1. Marlboro, Philip Morris, 35.4

2. Doral, R.J. Reynolds, 6.3

3. Newport, Lorillard, 6.2

4. Camel, R.J. Reynolds, 5.3

5. Winston, R.J. Reynolds, 5.2

6. Basic, Philip Morris, 4.9

7. GPC, Brown & Williamson, 4.7

8. Kool, Brown & Williamson, 3.3

9. Salem, R.J. Reynolds, 3.2

10. Virginia Slims, Philip Morris, 2.6

Source: R.J. Reynolds

Nice thread. Enjoy the pictures. I hadn't been to the new shopping center on Elm-Eugene at Painter Blvd. Looks like that is going to be a popular area.

People forget about Lorillard Tobbaco Company, based in Greensboro.
My dad worked at Lorillard for 30+ years...cannot be forgotten with me. He started with them in 1957, right after they had opened that plant.

I love to drive by there and sniff the air...it smells like he smelled as he came home from work each afternoon. He was a head machine adjuster in the packing department in the Kent area.

I remember when they went on strike when I was around 4 or 5. I couldnt quite understand why my daddy was home for lunch each day (in between picketing) but I loved it.

It was a good job for him, and he enjoyed it...He died before he retired from there. It is somewhat ironic that what provided a good living for us , his family...also probably contributed to his death eventually as he was a longtime smoker.

I'd say that the attitudes towards smokers and health concerns would be tobacco's demise long before anything else. Moving to other countries will be a response to the regulations here more than cheaper labor and cheaper tobacco luring them elsewhere.

Love the picture btw. Thanks for sharing.

Tobbaco is the cash crop so these tobbaco companies can pay their employees generously well. There are a number of postitions at Lorillard that start you out at $29.67 an hour at 8 hour shifts! Very amazing pay scale fore a "traditional industry" where for the most part only a high school diploma is needed. That is unless you are applying for a more technical postion where the pay goes through the roof! I'm hoping that a graphic artist postion opens up in their marketing department. Thats my background and It would be great to get paid nearly $30 an hour doing what I love to do! The very least you can make at Lorillard is $18 an hour (as a plant worker) which is still very good money. Even as a janitor you make $18 an hour. Imagine making $18 an hour pushing a broom.There are other departments which i'm sure pay above $30 an hour such as the research and engineering departments.

Hey, thanks for the photos.

p10100593jd.jpg

You got so close to the train station.. but not quite!

This is one of the most exciting projects going on right now in Greensboro. Next time you get around to it, see if you can get a picture of the construction on the platforms :lol:

• 4 months later...

p10100394qp.jpg

Harris Teeter, Randleman Rd

I have an update on this. Sadly, the Harris Teeter on Randleman has closed. They probably cited reasons as "shifting demographics" and the new Wal-Mart Supercenter down South Elm & Eugene Street. I think that now officially, Greensboro only has Harris Teeter stores on its north and west sides of town. HT's closed on Church, Summit and now Randleman...

Archived