Lexington projects in the works

alslex1

'Urban village' for Broadway

DEVELOPERS' PLAN CALLS FOR RETAIL SPACE AND APARTMENTS; CITY'S APPROVAL NEEDED

By Jim Jordan

HERALD-LEADER BUSINESS WRITER

South Broadway will lose a tobacco warehouse and gain an "urban village" under a $70 million retail/residential project proposed by firms from Ohio and Indiana.

Shelburne Plaza would fill the block on the west side of South Broadway between Pine Street and the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks where the Shelburne Tobacco Warehouse now stands.

Construction of the plaza's 80,000 square feet of retail space, including a supermarket, and 220 two- to four-bedroom apartments is expected to begin next spring and to be completed in 2008.

However, city regulators, who must give their approval, have not yet formally considered the plan.

The project is the first proposed under Lexington's new mixed-use community zoning law that regulates large developments near residential areas. It is also the latest in a series of developments that are reshaping an area replete with aging houses, historic districts and a few survivors of the tobacco warehouses that once earned Lexington the nickname Buckle of the Burley Belt.

"When I saw such a large site available in such a great neighborhood," said developer Guy Totino, "my mind immediately went to an 'urban village' that could be a self-contained mix of retail and residential, and still be in the thick of a really neat urban area that is experiencing tremendous redevelopment."

Other projects in the area include:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

This is a great thing for the area. The city unveiled plans three years ago to tie UK in with downtown.

<---I had to get my screenname from somewhere you know. I used to work with Kruser and Krew on 590 WVLK. I was his sidekick/phonescreener called Finsta!

How far is UK currently located from downtown?

UK runs right into downtown. UK basketball plays downtown in Rupp Arena and it is an easy walk for most students. As I was leaving campus last night, lots of students were walking to the game. I work downtown and go to class at UK, often I walk to class from work.

• 5 months later...

I saw recently in the Herald Leader an article about the city considering a new skyscraper that would go on top of the LexTran station downtown. Has anybody heard anything of this? I believe the article mentioned making a decision towards the end of April.

Has anybody heard anything recently about the Kentucky Gameday Center that is "or perhaps was" supposed to be on the corner of Limestone and High Street (across from Central Bank and Rupp Arena)? I heard a while back that the building was going to be 17 stories, featuring condos, retail space, underground parking, sports-themed bars, and other things such as conference facilities for business companies. I have heard many rumors about this project. One is that Lexington rejected the 17 story proposal because they pretty thought it was too tall. In return they offered to allow the Atlanta company to build the same structure as long as it would be only 7 stories high. I'm not sure what the difference would be considering it would take up the same amount of space whether it is 7, 17, or 117 stories. Either way, the project still is being worked on by both sides due to advertising on the website by the Atlanta based company. If you know anything about this situation, please inform. Thanks.

Has anybody heard anything recently about the Kentucky Gameday Center that is "or perhaps was" supposed to be on the corner of Limestone and High Street (across from Central Bank and Rupp Arena)? I heard a while back that the building was going to be 17 stories, featuring condos, retail space, underground parking, sports-themed bars, and other things such as conference facilities for business companies. I have heard many rumors about this project. One is that Lexington rejected the 17 story proposal because they pretty thought it was too tall. In return they offered to allow the Atlanta company to build the same structure as long as it would be only 7 stories high. I'm not sure what the difference would be considering it would take up the same amount of space whether it is 7, 17, or 117 stories. Either way, the project still is being worked on by both sides due to advertising on the website by the Atlanta based company. If you know anything about this situation, please inform. Thanks.

I know about the Gameday center and transit center projects.

I don't know the official status of either. I believe the Gameday center was scaled back due to neighborhood opposition, but I think the developer decided to look for another site. According to the website, construction is set to begin once site selection is final. This makes me think that the orginal rendering could still be used. Personally, I didn't care for the newer design...it was rather bland and uninteresting. I would much prefer a design like the ones in Tallahassee or Athens.

As far as the transit center...I just know the city was taking proposals, but that is all I know. This is not the first time projects have been proposed for that site, but hopefully it will work this time.

PS>> I noticed a parcel of land off S Broadway around Pine Street recently sold and the Popeye sign company on that property says they are moving to a new location. I was wondering if this would be the new Gameday site.

I know about the Gameday center and transit center projects.

I don't know the official status of either. I believe the Gameday center was scaled back due to neighborhood opposition, but I think the developer decided to look for another site. According to the website, construction is set to begin once site selection is final. This makes me think that the orginal rendering could still be used. Personally, I didn't care for the newer design...it was rather bland and uninteresting. I would much prefer a design like the ones in Tallahassee or Athens.

As far as the transit center...I just know the city was taking proposals, but that is all I know. This is not the first time projects have been proposed for that site, but hopefully it will work this time.

PS>> I noticed a parcel of land off S Broadway around Pine Street recently sold and the Popeye sign company on that property says they are moving to a new location. I was wondering if this would be the new Gameday site.

Thanks for the info georgeglass. I'm quite curious about the Gameday Center because I think it would be a good attraction for downtown. Plus it may encourage more larger events to be held in Lexington...who knows? Another project I'm interested in (and haven't heard what it is going to be) is the construction that is going on downtown near PNC Bank. It's on the corner of Mill Street and West Main. I noticed they brought back out a larger crane yesterday (i think) to help with the construction. Anyway, do you know what is going on there?

Thanks for the info georgeglass. I'm quite curious about the Gameday Center because I think it would be a good attraction for downtown. Plus it may encourage more larger events to be held in Lexington...who knows? Another project I'm interested in (and haven't heard what it is going to be) is the construction that is going on downtown near PNC Bank. It's on the corner of Mill Street and West Main. I noticed they brought back out a larger crane yesterday (i think) to help with the construction. Anyway, do you know what is going on there?

The project next to PNC will house some office for Homeland Security, I believe. I have never been able to find any renderings. I just wish the building would provide some architectural character that is lacking on Vine Street. It will only be 5 floors when completed.

PS...The property I mentioned before that is on the corner of Broadway and Pine sold for 1,400,000.00 to Mark Acre Properties. Apparently he used to play pro baseball for the Oakland A's. I couldn't find anything out about his property development. I assume we will see or hear something more about this property soon.

The project next to PNC will house some office for Homeland Security, I believe. I have never been able to find any renderings. I just wish the building would provide some architectural character that is lacking on Vine Street. It will only be 5 floors when completed.

That is just pathetic. Such a prime piece of property and all they could muster was a FIVE story building? Pathetic!

That is just pathetic. Such a prime piece of property and all they could muster was a FIVE story building? Pathetic!

Lexy, it's like that all the time here. There are three nice pieces of property downtown right now that are being worked on to build 5 story buildings. Lexington officials are hypocrites! They preach all the time about wanting to conserve land and get the best use out of surrounding farmland. However, they continue to build these small structures in the core of city. It makes no sense, no matter how you want to look at it.

A wtchdog group, kind of like the Urban Design Center here in Nashville, needs to form in Lexington and put together a "Plan of Lexington" for the city. It could help foster discussion and future planning. Not to mention lobby city leaders for a better, more useful, urban enviroment. 5 story buildings are so Hamburg Pavillion LFUCG!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

^^That's a good idea Lexy, surely the city planners in Lexington have something like that in the works alreay (or they should have that). Lexington has always seemed more serene and peaceful almost like a bigger Savannah or Charleston but more temperate climate. I just hope they perserve that charm with any new developments.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived