Charlotte Kudzu

A2

I just got back from a drive around the loop. And as I drove I noticed something that I have always noticed , but never made mention of. I am speaking about the Kudzu, Briar Bushes, Shrubs, and small trees that Line BOTH sides of 277 around the city. Now I know I might be crucified at the stake if I said let's cut down the blasted Green Trees, that make CLT what it is as a whole, but I am going to say it anyways.

CUT DOWN ANYTHING GREEN THAT LINES THE 277 INNER CITY LOOP !

Including Trees, Kudzu, weeds. I mean everything. I was mentioning to my girlfriend as we drove around, heading back to work, " You know Honey, CLT would have an Incrdible Skyline view driving the entire loop, if they would get rid of the blasted trees and Kudzu that block the view. Not to mention it looks bad from an asthetic standpoint. I mean are we in a jungle , or are we in a city."

Now please do not read into this statement as I think Trees are bad. I am not, and love trees. :wub:

BUT, when I am downtown, I want to be downtown. I have no problem with greenery and trees in the wards, but the roads NEED to be CLEARED.

What do you guys think overall?

One place that needs desperate attention is the area around the I-277 and Independence Exit. It looks as though some mutant form of Kudzu has decided to take over. :w00t: Please NCDOT take it down.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that the Kudzu is taking over. Although I'm not quite sure that there is a way to get rid of the Kudzu without killing the trees??

As for your comment on removing the trees, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY disagree. A big factor in relocating south for me (and maaaaaaaaaaaany others i know who did as well) were all the trees and how green it is down here!!!! If the trees went away I KNOW i'd be considering moving even further south lol I personally love the mix of nature and city that charlotte has, it's awesome in my opinion. i know MANY other northerners who moved down here who would also be greatly annoyed with the removal of any trees.

It used to be pretty easy to see the downtown skyline from I-77, but over the years the growth has made that all but impossible. Maybe that is a good thing as it means traffic might be just a bit safer. They removed the shubbery on I-77 as it crosses Lake Norman and there are massive traffic jams up there on the weekend now that occur when drivers come almost to a dead stop to see the "show" on the lake. i.e. the nude girls on the back of the boats showing off their boobies to the admiring drivers. (Ok I admit it isn't the same as looking at the skyline)

I agree that the Kudzu is taking over. Although I'm not quite sure that there is a way to get rid of the Kudzu without killing the trees??

As for your comment on removing the trees, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY disagree. A big factor in relocating south for me (and maaaaaaaaaaaany others i know who did as well) were all the trees and how green it is down here!!!! If the trees went away I KNOW i'd be considering moving even further south lol I personally love the mix of nature and city that charlotte has, it's awesome in my opinion. i know MANY other northerners who moved down here who would also be greatly annoyed with the removal of any trees.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:

I knew I would be scrutinized by the comment I made. Oh well. I agree with you concerning the mix of Trees with and Urban environment. It is truly a nice mix. I guess my concern is not being able to have a clear view all the way around the loop. I am sorry for being so Greedy. I am going to join Green Peace immediately as punishment for such harsh statements. :P

A2

It used to be pretty easy to see the downtown skyline from I-77, but over the years the growth has made that all but impossible.  Maybe that is a good thing as it means traffic might be just a bit safer.  They removed the shubbery on I-77 as it crosses Lake Norman and there are massive traffic jams up there on the weekend now that occur when drivers come almost to a dead stop to see the "show" on the lake.  i.e.  the nude girls on the back of the boats showing off their boobies to the admiring drivers.  (Ok I admit it isn't the same as looking at the skyline)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hubba Hubba...

:rolleyes:

A2

:lol:

I knew I would be scrutinized by the comment I made. Oh well. I agree with you concerning the mix of Trees with and Urban environment. It is truly a nice mix. I guess my concern is not being able to have a clear view all the way around  the loop. I am sorry for being so Greedy. I am going to join Green Peace immediately as punishment for such harsh statements.  :P

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and I want 50 pushups :D

I think it is one of those things that you don't appreciate until you've lived in an area with no trees. I grew up in the DC metro area, and I always complained about how I lived in a forest and wanted to goto a "real" city. I moved to Chicago and within 6 months was already saying "i really miss seeing trees". Then after that I moved to NY and it was even worse, like a concrete jungle. I never realized how beautiful all the trees were until I couldn't see them everyday. wow I sound like a friggin hippie now lol

A2 you are probably just cranky about Maiden getting egged at Ozzfest in LA, cuz i KNOW i'm cranky about that!!!!

a2, it is funny that you brought this up, because the other day i thinking of how they could relocate the big art-shrub things from the tyvola colisieum to 77 right above 85. i know NCDOT wouldn't be down with the idea, but i think it would be a nice to have it set up in the median....could make a decent gateway.

monsoon, wouldn't you love to have that greet you everytime you came into town?

*i am not a fan of kudzu, though

and I want 50 pushups  :D

I think it is one of those things that you don't appreciate until you've lived in an area with no trees. I grew up in the DC metro area, and I always complained about how I lived in a forest and wanted to goto a "real" city. I moved to Chicago and within 6 months was already saying "i really miss seeing trees". Then after that I moved to NY and it was even worse, like a concrete jungle. I never realized how beautiful all the trees were until I couldn't see them everyday. wow I sound like a friggin hippie now lol

A2 you are probably just cranky about Maiden getting egged at Ozzfest in LA, cuz i KNOW i'm cranky about that!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My frustration over OZ fest can't be described. hahahaha JK :P

85eddie01.jpg

Here is to Eddie.

A2

While in Chicago or New York, did you ever visit any of the parks??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

obviously trees exist. yes i visited all of the parks. i meant more that they were not as abundant as they were back home; and instead only localized in parks. central park has many trees, as do grant and lincoln parks.

in charlotte though i don't have to goto a park, i can look outside at any moment if i want to see trees.

I just got back from Chicago and there are lots of trees except maybe in the Loop.  Outside of there, trees are common.  In fact, the motto of Chicago is Urbs in Horto meaning city in a garden.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the chicago region doesn't even have 1/3 of the tree density that charlotte does. try heading over to naperville or bolingbrook, or a matter of fact anything west of the loop. it's all flat. the only areas with any decent tree density are up north in lincolnshire, or maybe even the schaumburg area. the native americans referred to chicago as "the mudhole of the prairie"

• 2 months later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/13253549.htm

Well,it looks like the state will spend $150k to clean up the kudzu and litter. However, they are forcing the $4.2m it will cost to fix the streetlights on 277 to come out of our already very inadequate road building budget. As far as priorities go, if that it how the state wants to work, I say we simply leave the 277 lights dark and keep the money going to higher priority projects.

Charlotte should put up a billboard that explains it. Maybe enough people will get mad enough to force a change.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/news/13253549.htm

Well,it looks like the state will spend $150k to clean up the kudzu and litter. However, they are forcing the $4.2m it will cost to fix the streetlights on 277 to come out of our already very inadequate road building budget. As far as priorities go, if that it how the state wants to work, I say we simply leave the 277 lights dark and keep the money going to higher priority projects.

Charlotte should put up a billboard that explains it. Maybe enough people will get mad enough to force a change.

I fregin' love Pat Mccrory. This man is absolutely right. If the lights were out around the RDU area they would be fixed, but CLT forget about it. I am glad to see the trash cleaned up. I am also hopeful about the lights. The last guy quoted sounds about as pissed as me when it comes to our lights on the Interstates.

:angry::P

A2

Archived