Grrreenville Grrrowl

g-man430

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was reading an article in the Greenville Journal today about the Grrrowl and i hope they attract more fans this year.  What are your thoughts about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't been to a game yet, but I've wanted to go. This will be the year, for sure because it sounds from that article as if they need our support!

I am not really a hockey fan - pretty indifferent toward it really, mostly because I didn't grow up exposed to it. I went to a Grrrowl game a few years ago, and had a great time. I wished I knew more about hockey rules (like what icing is...ha ha), but nonetheless I had a fun experience there. Even then I had wished more people had been there.

At least they don't have the attendance problems the Greenville Groove (NBDL basketball) had when they were here. Now that was sad!

I plan on making a few games. I've only been to one so far, but the attendance didn't look so hot. Now that the downtown businessmen bought the team, I plan to support them.

Greenville,

Hockey is one sport that is better to watch live, rather than on TV. You have action all over the ice. Not just where the puck is. On TV, the cameras just follow the puck. The rules aren't too hard to grasp, since there aren't too many :D . Icing is when the puck crosses both blue lines without being touched by an offenseman.

I plan on making a few games.  I've only been to one so far, but the attendance didn't look so hot.  Now that the downtown businessmen bought the  team, I plan to support them.

Greenville,

Hockey is one sport that is better to watch live, rather than on TV.  You have action all over the ice.  Not just where the puck is.  On TV, the cameras just follow the puck.  The rules aren't too hard to grasp, since there aren't too many :D .  Icing is when the puck crosses both blue lines without being touched by an offenseman.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the clarification as to what icing is, NYTransplant. The mystery is solved. :)

It makes sense that hockey is a better live-action sport than TV sport. I have always felt the same way about soccer, and have wondered if that is the main reason why it isn't more popular in the U.S. When watching it on TV, one can't appreciate everything going on away from the ball (plays developing, players battling for position, etc.).

Didn't ESPN used to have the blue streak behind the puck, making it easier to follow on TV? The last time I saw a hockey game while channel surfing, I don't recall seeing the blue streak. Did people not like it?

Didn't ESPN used to have the blue streak behind the puck, making it easier to follow on TV?  The last time I saw a hockey game while channel surfing, I don't recall seeing the blue streak.  Did people not like it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I *believe* (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that the blue streak / flashing puck is only employed by the NHL during the All-Star game. :unsure:

I kinda got inito hockey during the Stanley Cup in June, 2000 right after my daughter was born (many late nights and lots of OT games in that series between the Devils and the Stars).

I went to a few Solar Bears (R.I.P.) games in Orlando, but I have yet to make it to a Grrrowl game. I'll take my daughter to at least a few this year...maybe my wife and son too, if they're interested B)

• 1 month later...

I can answer that for you seeing how i went last night. It was very crowded, probably the biggest crowd i have seen at a grrrowl game in the last 3 to 4 years. The upper bowl part was still closed off last night while the lower bowl was at least 80% full. But they are planning to open the upper bowl next season. :)

I can answer that for you seeing how i went last night. It was very crowded, probably the biggest crowd i have seen at a grrrowl game in the last 3 to 4 years. The upper bowl part was still closed off last night while the lower bowl was at least 80% full. But they are planning to open the upper bowl next season. :)

Why next season? just because of attendance or am I missing something?

^^ Yeah, it's because of attendance. They want to make the arena look more full. If they get enough attendance this year, they might open the upper part of it next year.

:lol: ok, that's what i figured but when it was said, i thought maybe there was some structural problem. GOOD TO KNOW! I hope attendance really does increase. Those games are always fun! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Grrrowl vs. Reading Royals game tonight. Reading led 3-0 with just a few minutes to go and we nearly tied it up at the end of regulation. So close! :w00t:

I'll have a photo for the photo of the day tomorrow. :thumbsup:

I heard on the P.A. this evening that the Stanley Cup will be here for the December 17th Game:

More details: http://www.grrrowl.com/top_story.php

• 2 months later...

There was an article on page 37 of today's Greenville Journal about the Greenville Grrrowl's attendance woes, drawing an average of 3221 fans through 21 games this season, in spite of drawing 6625 fans to last Friday's game.

The article goes on to say that the fans are slowly starting to return to the seats, but I'm sure they could use everyone they can get at these games. For family entertainment, it is a good value (in my honest opinion). Heck...you get two events in one (a hockey game and a fight) every night! :lol:

I think hockey is a tough sell in the south, just as toll roads are. I'm not saying that it can't succeed in Greenville, but I do think it's tough when many other things are competing for people's time.

Just out of curiosity, how much are tickets? From what I've heard, a lot of people buy the cheaper seats that are higher up/farther away, but not as many purchase the rinkside seats (because of price, perhaps)? I hope the Grrrowl tickets aren't as much as Groove tickets (basketball team) were.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived