Grrreenville Grrrowl

g-man430

I was able to see it close-up and talk with the official "cup bearer" last time they were in Greenville. If you've ever seen it in person you know how plain and rather boring it is other than the fact that there are so many names engraved all over it. It is also funny how the cup doesn't sit straight up, but actually kind of tilts - probably due to lots of partying over the years. :lol:

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Grrrowl are doing very well right now. They have won their last 6 out of 7 games and the last 7 games at home have all been wins. They are in third place in their division right now. The top 6 teams out of 8 in their division make it to the playoffs. Here's the standings: http://www.grrrowl.com/standings/ and here's the wins and losses for this month so far: http://www.grrrowl.com/schedule/

I'm afraid the Drive is going to turn into what the Grrrowl did, where the first few years it was really crowded, but then the crowds started to go away. The Grrrowl averaged over 9,000 a game their first year here, but now they just average barely over 3,000. Look at 1998-1999 year's attendance average: http://echl.com/stats_archive/ECHL99.txt then look at this year's attendance average: http://echl.com/daily.txt. WHY DON'T PEOPLE GO TO GRRROWL GAME'S ANYMORE AND WHY DOESN'T THE CITY OF GREENVILLE SUPPORT THEM BETTER?

I'm afraid the Drive is going to turn into what the Grrrowl did, where the first few years it was really crowded, but then the crowds started to go away. The Grrrowl averaged over 9,000 a game their first year here, but now they just average barely over 3,000. Look at 1998-1999 year's attendance average: http://echl.com/stats_archive/ECHL99.txt then look at this year's attendance average: http://echl.com/daily.txt. WHY DON'T PEOPLE GO TO GRRROWL GAME'S ANYMORE AND WHY DOESN'T THE CITY OF GREENVILLE SUPPORT THEM BETTER?

I would also be interested in knowing the ticket prices during that time span, as well as the Grrrowl's record. It is concerning if ticket prices stayed roughly the same and the team played well. However, if prices increase significantly, or if the team stinks, many fans aren't going to choose to spend their time that way.

...the Grrrowl are playing alot better now then they were their first few years here.

The Grrrowl won the Kelly Cup in 2002. That was a great year, considering the Greenville Groove (remember them) also won the NBDL Championship that year. It'd be great to see the Grrrowl return to the Kelly Cup Finals once again! :thumbsup:

It's so difficult to establish minor league success because the rosters change so much from year to year. The young kids are typically here to develop and refine skills and the older players are typically life-long minor-leagures or near the end if their careers; thus, they don't stick around for long. It's rare that a great major league player is sent down on a rehabilitation assignment, but when it happens, it tends to draw some additional fans to the games.

I think the Grrrowl and Drive are two separate entities.

1. Hockey vs. baseball

Baseball is followed more closely than hockey here.

2. Pro affiliation

While there is no longer a connection with the Braves, the connection with the Red Sox is probably the second best choice out there. There could be a case made for a Red Sox connection being better than the Braves, as Braves fans can simply go to Atlanta, while the multitude of transplanted New Englanders don't have any other options. The Fenway Park-likeness will only add to that draw.

3. Park

While the BiLo Center is nice, judging by the tour yesterday, it won't be able to hold a candle to the experience the downtown stadium will provide.

4. Marketing

When was the last time you heard or saw marketing or publicity for the Grrrowl? It is one of the best values in Greenville in terms of family entertainment. People should know that. People should also know that the Grrrowl are amid one of their best seasons ever, but they don't. There's probably been more marketing for the Drive in the past few months than there has been for the Grrrowl in the past few years.

I agree with breed,

Baseball will be supported on a much stronger level than hockey. Especially in the south. I'd venture to guess that not many kids around here own a pair of skates, but, most have a baseball glove or bat. Even in the north where most kids grew up skating, you will find that baseball will draw the consistent crowds.

Nate made it clear yesterday that the Drive plan to make this a family oriented experience and will do whatever it takes to keep prices down.

I for one am excited about what this means for Greenville and the West End. :yahoo:

I think the Grrrowl and Drive are two separate entities.

4. Marketing

When was the last time you heard or saw marketing or publicity for the Grrrowl? It is one of the best values in Greenville in terms of family entertainment. People should know that. People should also know that the Grrrowl are amid one of their best seasons ever, but they don't. There's probably been more marketing for the Drive in the past few months than there has been for the Grrrowl in the past few years.

I agree with breed about the marketing. Package anything correctly and put creative marketing behind it, and it sells. Anybody remember "pet rocks"? :D

Seriously, you hardly ever see billboards for the Grrrowl. With the great season they are having, why not have a section of Main Street closed off and iced over one Saturday afternoon with a couple of players skating and doing a "meet the public" campaign. If it's good family value, make sure the people in Simpsonville know that....have a presence at junior ice hockey games....start a kids "Grrrowl" team for fun. I personally do not feel the Grrrowl are tied in with the community as strong as they could be. I think the "Drive" will be.

I agree with breed about the marketing. Package anything correctly and put creative marketing behind it, and it sells. Anybody remember "pet rocks"? :D

With the great season they are having, why not have a section of Main Street closed off and iced over one Saturday afternoon with a couple of players skating and doing a "meet the public" campaign.

Maybe use the Wyche Pavilion as an ice rink and throw an event there? Yesterday before, after, and between the Dora the Explorer shows would have been perfect. Perhaps a "meet the grrrowl" event at the Haywood Mall or Shops at Greenridge, too?

The only advertisement I ever see for the Grrrowl Games is in the Journal. I never see anything on TV or on billboards. I know the Drive are already working on their ad campaign for the upcoming season and that they'll be filiming a TV commercial near the end of March or first part of April, too. Perhaps they have a budget for this that the Grrrowl don't have? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The first Grrrowl playoff game is this coming up Sunday at 1:00 pm

The game will be at 11:30 AM, after a game on Saturday night. Expect attendance to be in the hundreds. The Grrrowl management is really upset at the Florida Everblades for not adjusting their schedule and as a result the Grrrowl is forced to play a game on Sunday morning, something they do not want. Minor league teams lose enough money as it is on playoffs.

Archived