Grrreenville Grrrowl

g-man430

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure hope Ed Rubenstein is right about being "optimistic" about them returning this year. I also hope they lower the ticket prices too this year, because if they don't I doubt you will see them for the 2007-2008 season.

By these two blog entries from the Greenville News sports editor, Bart Wright, we can assume the Grrrowl are dead.

They need a miracle

http://news.greenvilleonline.com/blogs/bwr...ves/002858.html

Hockey passes away, possibly foreve

http://news.greenvilleonline.com/blogs/bwr...ves/002860.html

Really awful quotes from Champ Covington of the Grrrowl's ownership about the team.

Wright comments that that had the Grrrowl not had to give up their proceeds to fund the arena's debt, they probably would have been more solvent.

Exhausted Every Opportunity? HORSE PUCKEY!

• Ticket prices were still too high.

• The entire upper bowl could have been treated as $5 General Admission Seating, but wasn't.

• There was hardly any advertising at all - as someone cited, the only way you knew the Grrrowl were home and playing is if you happen to have been fortunate enough to drive by the Bi-Lo Center and notice the banner.

I'm sad, too, but somewhat frustrated by how things were managed this past season. :cry:

So, no hockey for 2006-7? No problem.

The owners currently maintain the franchise rights. They can opt to sell to another local owner or voluntarily suspend operations for a season, which is what is taking place.

Hockey has been the biggest sports draw to the Bi-Lo Center. I'm sure we will see the Grrrowl return there by 2007.

I think the Bi-Lo center should start hosting Boxing and Ultimate Fighting, I think that would go over well, also, with out the Hokey team taking up so many nights they should schedule many many more concerts. They rarely if ever, in my opininon, have anything worth going to see there.

The SCDOT barely has enough money to widen the roads now as it is, so I just say leave it the way it is and then once in turns into a parking lot like in Atlanta, they will finally start to look at better mass transit. All i'm trying to say is that if we had a better mass transit system implemented here, then there would be no need to widen it in the first place. If we widen it now, we'll just have to widen it again in 10 years and so on. It's not going to help get mass transit here by doing this. Also, you know who's money their going to use to widen this interchange, don't you? Yours.

That is a great idea. Do they do that already?

Also if we still have the floor from the days of the Groove. We should see if the Bobcats or Hawks would play some preseason exhibition games here. Does the NBA have a preseason?

And whay about at least once to see how it goes haveing an indoor tennis tournament, maybe something like Chalreston's Family Circle Cup.

Also if we still have the floor from the days of the Groove. We should see if the Bobcats or Hawks would play some preseason exhibition games here. Does the NBA have a preseason?

And whay about at least once to see how it goes haveing an indoor tennis tournament, maybe something like Chalreston's Family Circle Cup.

Those are both excellent ideas, too! Yes, the NBA has a preseason.

I would go on a rant about what the Grrrowl did wrong, which seemed to be everything, but there's no point anymore. All I have to say is it wasn't just the Grrrowl, the Rhinos and Groove also folded. That's the problem with people in this county, all they want to do is go to their churches and college football games. They don't care about their minor league teams and never have. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to the Drive like what has happened to every other minor league sport that has come here. All the Drive is right now is a novelty, just like the Grrrowl were when they first came here, but not as much though. You watch, I bet the Drive's attendance will drop every year after this one just like every other team that came here has had happened to them. I sure hope i'm wrong though.

I would go on a rant about what the Grrrowl did wrong, which seemed to be everything, but there's no point anymore. All I have to say is it wasn't just the Grrrowl, the Rhinos and Groove also folded. That's the problem with people in this county, all they want to do is go to their churches and college football games. They don't care about their minor league teams and never have. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to the Drive like what has happened to every other minor league sport that has come here. All the Drive is right now is a novelty, just like the Grrrowl were when they first came here, but not as much though. You watch, I bet the Drive's attendance will drop every year after this one just like every other team that came here has had happened to them. I sure hope i'm wrong though.

Let's here it for optimism!

Yay!

I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to the Drive like what has happened to every other minor league sport that has come here. All the Drive is right now is a novelty, just like the Grrrowl were when they first came here, but not as much though. You watch, I bet the Drive's attendance will drop every year after this one just like every other team that came here has had happened to them. I sure hope i'm wrong though.

Hey g-man. Check your history on this subject. This city has long history and love with baseball. The Braves were here for something like 25 years. When they moved, the city didn't skip a beat, getting another team immediately for the next season and an incredible downtown development in the process.

The glass is full man, it's not empty! :D

Hey g-man. Check your history on this subject. This city has long history and love with baseball. The Braves were here for something like 25 years. When they moved, the city didn't skip a beat, getting another team immediately for the next season and an incredible downtown development in the process.

The glass is full man, it's not empty! :D

Good point. Also, it's downtown now and ticket prices aren't that high either. I'm not saying their going to leave anytime soon, probably minimum 30 years, but attendance will start to drop in the next coming years. That's just the way most minor league teams are and this is no different.

Just an idea, but it's probably not the best strategy to shame and guilt trip a customer base into buying into a businesses product.

With the exception of about 10 years (74-84) Greenville has had professional minor league baseball for over 80 years. The region supportted textile teams for well over 60 years, which were essentially semi-pro minor league franchises.

The nature of minor leagues is their instability. Richmond, VA is restarting the Renegades hockey club after a nearly 8 year abscense. There have been two instances of the Charlotte Checkers ECHL club. Only a minority of minor league clubs have any long-term staying power, like the 80 year old Asheville Tourists.

Hockey was always a big experiment in Greenville, maybe it arrived before its time. For the most part, it was surviving on Carl Scheer's will alone. The critical issue at the moment is ensuring the Bi-Lo Center is solvent and doesn't go into foreclosure and seizure. Perhaps in another five years or so, when the Bi-Lo Center is less dependant on the hockey club for operational funds, another club can start. But at the moment the key issue is for the Bi-Lo Center to be financially operational and not to default on its debt.

Archived